What's new
What's new

O T Farmall H power steering

Has anyone got a power steering kit for a Farmall H for sale? They were sold in the aftermarket years ago. I have seen them for sale every so often but it seems like I miss out every time. I have to do something with it, I'm a long way from being Charles Atlas and if you aren't moving it is about impossible to turn.

If you don't have any luck with OD's suggestion, try Fort Atkinson Tractor Parts in Ft. Atkinson, IA. Salvage type place and I think they do business on Ebay.

No experience with them, just know about them cause they are local (and I see his stuff on ebay when I do local searches).

Jim

Moonlight;

What you are looking for is commonly known as Behlen power steering. I would go to yesterdaystractors.com and search. Ads ae free to place, no registration is needed.

Craig donges @ Yahoo.com

John;

I'd been thinking about your steering problem most of the day. Since an "H" is a light tractor, power steering should not be needed. All of them I've owned have steered well so just adding power steering will only be a temporary fix until the problem fails. Also, it will not be as cheap as you'd hope either.

IH used a real wimpy bearing on the front pedestal. Since it carries the entire load it would be a possibility that it is pounded out, or ran dry and failed. When you inspect it, you'll be amazed how undersized the bearing is. It will remind you of a bycycle crank unit, about the same size with very few balls.

Remove the radiator shroud (grill), remove the steering box cover. Jack up tractor and remove front wheels/tires. Take nut off and shaft will come down. Also, they are prone to snapping the shaft just above the bearing area, look for that also.

Craigdonges @ Yahoo.com

Thanks for the Ideas everyone, Craig I had the cover off the steering gear box, all looks good. I never thought about the bearing above the wheels though. I'll check it out. It really is not hard to steer if you are moving. when it is hard to steer is when you are barely moving and with the bucket full.

Sweet Manufacturing Inc.

I'm not familiar with your tractor, but using one of these you can add power steering to anything with a steering shaft. You want to order one with the heaviest assist. They work great on old 4x4 trucks. "Strong enough for a Farmall, but PH balanced for Nascar" or something like that.

Yes it ts a tricycle, when you are on wet ground and it sinks in a bit it is about impossible to steer, especially with a full loader. And of course it seems like you always have to manoeuvre around something when you are using the loader. I don't want to force the issue and end up breaking something

If you have a 2-way cylinders the steering is easier at times. Remember that in SOME cases you can just raise the front wheels off the ground, turn them and then raise the loader. The H that I use has a Char-Lynn pto pump and a spool valve to run an IH #33A loader and I do this on a regular basis. If you only have 1-way cylinders.....well, this suggestion is worthless.:rolleyes5:

John;

Here another wild suggestion that would be as effective, and probaly better than the power steering. Why not just put a WFE under the tractor and it'll seem like you have a whole new tractor. The conversion is quite easy and it will go thru soft goo much better and be a lot safer.

The biggest limiting factor will be is if your loader is set up to clear a steer axle.

Keep those horses happy, at any cost!

Craigdonges @ yahoo.com

I would get the Behlen setup, like Craig said, off of a parts tractor. You need to look for a 300 or 350 with power steering. None of the H's or Super H's actually left the factory with power steering that I know of. This shouldn't be very expensive to do and just requires cutting a piece out of the steering shaft just ahead of the steering wheel and some plumbing.

If you go with the wide front, I would get one from a 300-350 Farmall or a Schwartz axle. The factory H front ends had the tie rods ahead of the axle to accept all kinds of abuse and they didn't turn very sharp. I think the Super H front ends had changed to the rear tie rod design too, like the Schwartz. The Schwartz is a nice axle and heavier duty. I have one on my Super MTA + Behlen power steering and really like that combination.

Thanks Craig for the tip about yesterdays tractors. I posted an ad for a PS kit or wide front..... I got a reply in about 30 seconds! He had a Schwartz axle in as new condition for 600.00. is this a good price? About 15 min. after posting the ad I got a reply from Salem Oh. 330 area code. He has what he called an "aftermarket" axle on a 300. he says 550.00 Were there a lot of different axles available for Farmalls?

Do NOT buy a Norton axle. Some of them are a little strange in how they mount. I threw that in there just in case the aftermarket on the 300 is a Norton. I don't know about putting them on a Farmall, but when you put one on an Oliver, you have to leave the original front end/steering box on the tractor. You just take the horizontal part of the axle off along with hubs and tires. This leaves a mess hanging down from the axle to catch on stuff.

$600 is good for the Schwartz around here. We tend to have things cheaper here than a little ways to the east. I'd go with that if it were me and it's in as good of shape as he says.

Wish I could get replies to my wanted ads that quick on YT.:(

John;

I'm going to go out on a limb here: If this is for moving the wifes horse Poo, can you really put a price on her happiness?

Seriously, the prices seem in line. If you want me to check out the axle in Salem, just let me know, it's in my backyard. Or, consider the purchase of an entire junker tractor, pull off the steering and sell me the rest.

Craig donges @ yahoo.com

Last edited:
She's not so happy right now.......It's worth any price to make her happy! horse Poo...yes If I find a tractor we can do a deal..... The guy in salem is on va ca for a week I'll let you know.

Back