What's new
What's new

Looking for information on a Logan Vertical Mill

PaPaMitch

Cast Iron
Hi All,
Not sure If this is the best place for this or not. I found a Logan Vertical Millfor sale (I didn't know Logan made mills). I'm considering it because I'm getting it cheap. I have not yet been able to find any info on the machine.

I'm attaching a couple pictures. If anybody could point me in the right direction that would be great. Or, if anybody has some documentation, that would be better.

00C0C_hHqbJdJpyCc_600x450.jpg01010_6Dkjj9sunnT_600x450.jpg

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Mitch

It looks like a Bridgeport, I wonder if they bought it from them and put their name on it and made a few changes, like the knee crank. I will look later in my library and let you know. Rich

I just got off the phone with Logan. The guy I talked to sad there were only a few made (he said like 12 of them). Evidently they were made by another (foreign) company and badged as Logan. He told me there was no parts available and they had no documentation on the machine. He also said I could probably make the small stuff but if something big breaks, I'm screwed. The seller wants $500 for it. Originally I was all over it but now I've got second thoughts.

Mitch

Why would you have second thoughts? You are not using it for a pry bar or a hammer... USE it as it was designed!

In the worst case scenario put a Bridgeport head on it... It is a good buy for you.. if it works for a month you are ahead!

I think it is a win win for you.

I mention the head because what can go wrong with the knee? The power feed could go bad... So what! Put another one on it!

MM

PS.... get rid of those drill press vises....

It looks like a Bridgeport, I wonder if they bought it from them and put their name on it and made a few changes, like the knee crank. I will look later in my library and let you know. Rich

Ditto.

We can't be sure but the betting odds are that the machine is a full BP clone, meaning parts interchange. For $500 I'd do it. If it doesn't work out you can probably get your money back. You can guarantee who ever made it didn't design it for Logan, its their off the shelf design with a Logan badge.

Use it as a machine, it was meant to be used after all.
If something breaks it can always be fixed but it looks like a solid machine from here.
$500 sounds like a deal!

Another plus to it(for me) is, it uses R8 collets. I have some that I use on my little mill. I would still love to find a manual though (I doubt that I will). I've had very little experience using a mill and there are alot of different levers and knobs that I'm not sure what they all do.

Mitch

I will say that if the mill was made, or certified, to the same level as their lathes it will be a pretty good unit. I had a small Logan lathe and it was a nice little lathe to use, limitations of physical size aside. I would agree with the others, I do not see how you could go wrong for $500.

I bet its an induma, if so that is a smokin deal. Lots of companys rebadge I am sure parts are available they didnt just make 12 of those mills, maybe only 12 say logan I bet 1000s say something else

Check the motor data plate to see where it was made. That may give you a clue as to where the mill was manufactured. $500 sounds like a no brainer, I paid that for a Gorton knowing parts and support would be non existent.

Another plus to it(for me) is, it uses R8 collets. I have some that I use on my little mill. I would still love to find a manual though (I doubt that I will). I've had very little experience using a mill and there are alot of different levers and knobs that I'm not sure what they all do.

Mitch

So post a photo of any levers or knobs you are unsure about and one of us will tell you what it does. 500.00? Go for it, that's a deal.

PaPaMitch

If you get the mill think about a $250 "Into to Machining" class at Metro or your local CC if you are not in the Omaha area. That's a $750 total package that will be money WELL spent.

Thanks everybody!
After all the replies on Thursday, I pulled my head out and committed to getting it. I'll get it this Friday. I cant wait now.

3t, Yes that is a good suggestion on classes. That was actually on my list once I get my SB 16/24 put back together.

The suggestions that it was made by Induma look to be the most correct. Some of the Induma machines I've found online look pretty darn close to that my machine looks like. I'll find out more on the maker of my mill when I get it. The way the Logan placards that were put on the sides of the machine looks like I might be able to remove 2 screws and reveal the actual manufacturer.

Thanks again
Mitch

Yes I did! I apologize for the delay. I got the machine home and sadly found that the power feed on the quill didn't work. Upon investigating, there were several parts missing. Mainly the worm gear cradle assy was totally missing (found the parts on e-bay). The quill appears to be a Bridgeport clone. Today I ordered a handful of bits and pieces to complete the power feed. There is also a problem with the brake assy in the head. I'll look into it when I get in to reinstall the cradle assy. The only other thing I've found is somebody lubed everything with grease instead of oil so I've got a lot of cleanup work ahead of me. I'll consider this a big win though for what I paid for the machine. I will bring some pics back in a day or two when I can get back out to the shop. I'm like a kid with a new toy.

Thanks for everyone's input. It helped me make a good decision.

Mitch

Back