What's new
What's new

WTB: Millrite vertical mill

coryhebert

Plastic
Hi, folks...I'm new to the forum, but am currently in the market for a Millrite vertical mill for my home garage/shop. I am in the Dallas, TX area.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
Cory

Hi Cory
Why a Millrite might I ask? Just for the size of the machine? I know Rockwell made similar size milling machines (I do not know how the level of quality was on either machine, maybe someone here has some experience with that.)
There is a nice looking one on ebay at the moment.

If you're planning on a garage installation, why not a Bridgeport? They are all over the place, parts are also available, prices are fairly reasonable, and resale would probably be better than a Millrite.

You might also run a WANTED ad on Craig's List, and see what turns up.

Best of luck!

Well, I want a Millrite because it's very similar in design to a Bridgeport, yet smaller. I don't have the room for a full-size Bridgeport.

Yep, I've already placed a wanted ad on Craigslist.

Best of luck in your search. Since Millrite isn't as common as a BP, it will probably be harder to track down. You might want to place the CL wanted ad in other cities as well.

My Millrite is a good fit for a garage that doubles as family storage, etc. Only thing I don't like is that you can only tram the head in one direction. Don't overlook the Rockwell or Clausing mills, though they may be a bit smaller yet.

There is a Millrite(Burke) group here; Yahoo Groups

I have a Millrite,, and a Centex (Rockwell) and most of a Clausing. It's like Papa bear, Mama bear, and baby. Definite difference in size among the 3. The Millrite is the perfect size for many of us. (mine is not for sale, sorry)

But... when I look at an early BP the size difference is almost insignificant. I guess that's the old round ram design, series 1 perhaps?

Hi Cory,
I had a very nice Millrite when I was working out of a small two car garage. It worked very well. It was great to learn on. I sold it when I moved to a bigger house and shop that would fit a Bridgeport.
I know a local metal fab shop (Wisconsin) has one that is sitting unused in storage. I can check to see what they want for it?
Chris

The Gorton 8D is rather small and may also fit your needs. Something to keep in mind size wise, but they are limited to 1/2" and under collets, unfortunately.

Hi Cory,
I had a very nice Millrite when I was working out of a small two car garage. It worked very well. It was great to learn on. I sold it when I moved to a bigger house and shop that would fit a Bridgeport.
I know a local metal fab shop (Wisconsin) has one that is sitting unused in storage. I can check to see what they want for it?
Chris

Thanks, Chris...that would be great!

Hey guys, thanks for all the help. I found one locally (in Dallas) a couple days ago so I jumped on it. Got a drop-deck trailer and was a cinch to move into my garage. I'm super-excited to own this machine.

Thanks again for the assistance, everyone.

bec7b3bc74aa11e38a6b128428a4a01e_8.jpg

It looks very nice in the photo. I think they came with three different quill feed heads but it seems very rare to see them. Not a bad mill for the home shop.
Andy

Back