What's new
What's new

South bend 16/24 lathe wanted

CHUCK4850

Plastic
I'm looking for a 16/24 South Bend lathe to restore. I don't need anything super long, but I have outgrown the swing of my 13 South Bend. For those not familiar with South Bend lathes, the 16/24 model was a standard 16" swing lathe, with factory installed riser blocks, which increased the swing to 24". Does anyone know where one is hiding?
Chuck

Chuck,
There are some Flather lathes for sale in your area. Solid machines and some have the quick change feed that is generally identified as a South Bend type, before South Bend used it.
I have a 13" SB from ~'39 and in retrospect would have purchased a Flather of equal or greater swing. Later I did purchase a 17" Flather that swings 16 1/4" but they are scarce in my area.
John

Last edited:
For those not familiar with South Bend lathes, the 16/24 model was a standard 16" swing lathe, with factory installed riser blocks, which increased the swing to 24". Does anyone know where one is hiding?
Chuck

As allergic to Cast Iron as SB was to begin with, that combo inspires visions of an already malnourished Flamingo strapping on a pair of drywall hanger's stilts to go and try to shag a Giraffe.

There just HAS to be a better - safer - way to get to 24" swing, no?

:)

By all means, suit yourself:)

What intrigues me though is the inadequacy fairly shouting at you

If Lodge & Shipley thought a 24" lathe should have an 8" - 4 spindle nose 100 years ago, what does South Bend mean offering a 24" lathe with a 2 3/8" - 6 spindle nose many years after that?

Talk about the light duty extremes:D

Here is a 100 year old 24" L&S spindle nose. It was meant to actually work hard

That spindle flange - backing up any spindle tooling - is 9 3/4" O.D.

Attachments

• DCP_1261.jpg
    DCP_1261.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 167
I realize this won't be able to safely carve 1/8" thick chips off of a chunk of 12" round stock, but for the type of work I do, it will be plenty. I do antique Ford restorations. I'm more likely to have an axle housing or a truck wheel in there, than a heavy chunk of steel. I just need the extra swing for clearance. Axle housings, for example, often have welded on brackets sticking out of them, that make a 6" diameter part into a 12" diameter part.
Chuck

Axle housings, for example, often have welded on brackets sticking out of them, that make a 6" diameter part into a 12" diameter part.
Chuck

That they do. And that means imbalance.

Massive old Niles - War One era - and Lodge & Shipley, War Two or inter-war production - soldiered on into the 1970's and longer for Mining and Rail job/repair shop use partly because HEAVILY imbalanced parts had to be handled more often than not. And without shaking the lathe like a biscuit-eating hound dog s*****g chicken bones.

You don't need the latest and best, 12 feet of bed, nor 6 tons or better of Iron for what your stated use involves.

You WOULD be better-served with, for example, a veteran Hendey, raised if need be, that at least began life with a wide bed and serious rations of good Iron in all the right places.

An "as-issued" Hendey tie-bar looks like a larger lathe that had been LOWERED, rather than raised, and basically that is what it was to get great stability and long wearing bed/carriage.

Raising one - and folks can do this themselves - just puts it back into the range of a "normal" larger lathe, but even so - an industrial, not hobby one.

An overly tall SB doesn't really even make a good mount for spinning large Aluminium pot-lids.

I have one

i'm looking for a 16/24 south bend lathe to restore. I don't need anything super long, but i have outgrown the swing of my 13 south bend. For those not familiar with south bend lathes, the 16/24 model was a standard 16" swing lathe, with factory installed riser blocks, which increased the swing to 24". Does anyone know where one is hiding?
Chuck

i have one partly restored in texas
bill sanders

Back