What's new
What's new

Speedy Melt, McEnglevan, MIFCO, B-1501 foundry furnace WANTED

sjstratton

Plastic
Looking for a used, gas fired MIFCO Speedy Melt Furnace, or similar. Ideal
model is B-1501 for an #80 - #150 crucible. Would also be interested in
other models, gas line set-ups, blowers, burner tips, etc. Gas lines and
blowers from old tilt furnaces may work.

Thanks for any leads!

Julia Stratton

215-468-2304
267-324-8047 cell
[email protected]

Hi Jeff,

Sorry I just saw this. New to the site. I have used several Mifco furnaces before and I like them. I have also made two furnaces. I use them for my own sculpture in an industrial building in Philadelphia. I am moving from a space I have rented for the last 16 years and need to leave the furnace behind, so I will either buy a furnace, if I can find one, or I will make another. Got any leads? Would love to hear any thoughts, too.

Thanks,

Julia

Hi again, Jeff,

I didn't give the short answer in the first reply to your question. I am looking for a used mifco furnace to try and save the time and expense of building another furnace.

Thanks for any leads!

Julia

Julia,
I have always found foundry supply houses to be the best for information. They always seem to know whats going on. You have a good one in your neighborhood, Lancaster Foundry Supply, they are really nice people.
I melted with #2 oil, so i'm a little prejudiced in my choice of fuels. I had a #100 crucible and furnace and could melt 100# of alum. from a cold start in 25 minutes or less, and 300# of bronze in about 50 minutes. I did this using an old Hauck Burner, older than dirt. When I called Hauck to check to see if parts where available, they almost fell over. Because my burner said Brooklyn, N.Y. on it and they have been in the Lancaster, Pa. area for as long as any one could remember.
Another thing, how much metal do you want to melt at once? You should be careful not to use to small a crucible for the size furnace you have. Because it works by using the friction of the flame against the crucible. If you have too small a crucible it will take longer to heat and use up extra fuel. Lotsa waste.
I'm up here in New Hampshire. I might know where there is a furnace or two, they might be gas, do you want me to look for you or is this to far?
Also what type of molding do you do? Vacuum pour?
I'm trying to visit relatives in Carlisle, Pa. next month and would love to see your operation, any chance of a visit?

pete,
I was running with a fuel pressure of about 100psi and the air was being supplied by a foundry blower of about 3 horse. I dont know what the air pressure was, as it was a high volume, low pressure type blower. But I can say that when the air came out of the burner nozzle it would make an impressive dent in your hand. Mmm... 3/8" or so, maybe half inch. The blower that i had would supply enough air to run 3 furnaces, but it was throttled down to one. I used #2 fuel oil because it was readily available and regulatory accepted. Town, state, feds, fire marshall, insurance, blahblahblah. What a pita they where.
One of the nice features of these burners, if you have the same one i did. Was they could digest and burn almost ANY kind of oil. The one I had was their smallest model and the guy I got the foundry from, claimed it was good for 7 gallons an hour, but Hauck said it was more in the 5.5 to 6 range. They were also horrified to find out I was running it at 100psi. They thought 30-40psi was plenty. But when your melting metal you want to do it FAST and HOT, no metal wants to be held for long periods at an elevated temp. Alum. especially it sucks hydrogen out of thin air you can try and degas with argon, but thats problematical. I always wanted to experiment with other oils to help cut down on costs, but never found the time. Feeding a foundry, even with business is a vicious thing to keep up with, and when your the chief cook and bottle washer its even worse.
If you set these burners up, please remember that they make ALOT of fire and heat. And they are designed to keep the fire going by heat reflected off of the refractory surface, they have no interior source of ignition. So you might want to direct them through a fire brick tunnel of sorts for continued source of ignition. AWAY from everything. Remember with this "ancient" burner I could melt 300lbs. of bronze from a cold start in 50 minutes flat minutes flat. Id like to see someone do that with gas. Hauck's newer burners have a propane or gas pilot light in them.
If there is any other questions, ask away. Hope this helped.
Jeff

Back