What's new
What's new

Wanted Cast Iron Surface Plate 3'x5"

Degull

Aluminum
Hi everyone. I am looking for a cast iron surface place, 3'x5' or 3'x4' with webbing. With a stand or feet would be a bonus. Please let me know if you have one for sale.

Fernando

Hi Fernando. I believe I have a 2'x4' on a stand. I can let you know measurements for sure tomorrow. ONly thing is that I'm in NE Philadelphia.

Jim

I would like to use it as a layout/fixturing tool primarily. 3'x4' is the smallest I am willing to go. I would travel for the right table or pay for freight to Niagara Falls NY (14305).

Yeah, it would be. But if you want the magnetic properties of a CI plate, perhaps a sheet of 1/2" steel plate blanchard ground flat would allow you to use any material as the base?

I have a 1” steel plate table already. I want the accuracy of a surface plate.

I have a 1” steel plate table already. I want the accuracy of a surface plate.

A big, quality CI surface plate isn't cheap, I know as I have a few. If you really want one, I have a 36" x 60" x 9" new in the box, ground flat to .001" overall. If that's of interest, email me through my contact info. But shipping to CA is something you'll have to factor in too.

This is a very popular size for my industry (bikes) for full frame layout. I’ve got 3 of them, but they have been tough to find in decent condition and that size. My advice: used cast iron plates are very nearly always dinged, gouged, have been hammered on, welded on and are generally beat up. They started as inspection plates, and then if not calibrated and kept up, then they became a bench plate, then a layout table, then a heavy work bench. Remember with used CI plates that no matter how flat they appear to be, you still need to get them calibrated so you have the data of a known reference to your work/Fixturing. What are your required tolerances for your plate?

If you need to use magnets for fixturing, then keep on looking. If not, consider granite. They are often in much better used shape, and can be reconditioned and calibrated by firms who travel to your shop rather than you taking the plate somewhere. For fixturing, any granite shop can jet the holes for you wherever you want. I’d recommend getting the holes drilled oversized and then you can insert and machine to your specs.

My apologies if you already know all this and have considered it, but again since it’s a desirable size for my work I and many others have been down this same path.

This is a very popular size for my industry (bikes) for full frame layout. I’ve got 3 of them, but they have been tough to find in decent condition and that size. My advice: used cast iron plates are very nearly always dinged, gouged, have been hammered on, welded on and are generally beat up. They started as inspection plates, and then if not calibrated and kept up, then they became a bench plate, then a layout table, then a heavy work bench. Remember with used CI plates that no matter how flat they appear to be, you still need to get them calibrated so you have the data of a known reference to your work/Fixturing. What are your required tolerances for your plate?

If you need to use magnets for fixturing, then keep on looking. If not, consider granite. They are often in much better used shape, and can be reconditioned and calibrated by firms who travel to your shop rather than you taking the plate somewhere. For fixturing, any granite shop can jet the holes for you wherever you want. I’d recommend getting the holes drilled oversized and then you can insert and machine to your specs.

My apologies if you already know all this and have considered it, but again since it’s a desirable size for my work I and many others have been down this same path.

I will be using it for bikes too! I have been using a C channel that has been blanchard ground flat. Similar to what Bringheli sells.

Bringheli Parts

It works well but I am longing for a larger work surface and would like to keep the accuracy that CI surface plate has.
Building bikes is something that I do in my spare time and really can’t afford a new surface plate. I’m not in a rush to purchase one and I will patiently wait until I find the right one.
Cammer might have exactly what I need and he has generously offered me one!

Thanks for the information!!

Fernando

Got the Perfect Cast Plate for you!

Hi Fernando,

I have a beautiful 3' x 6' x 6" cast lapping plate that I had ground 30 years ago. It served me well for many years while I owned Salsa Cycles.....lotsa bike frames were built using this baby.

It's fully tooled for Frame and Fork inspection/alignment and even comes with a small cast plate for stem alignment/inspection.

You want this thing....probably my favorite piece metal ever. Very difficult to part with, but I'm not building bike frames anymore and need the shop space.

Unfortunately getting it to you is not a slam dunk as I'm way out here in Northern California....DANG!

IMG_2597.jpgIMG_2600.jpgIMG_2601.jpg

Hi everyone. I am looking for a cast iron surface place, 3'x5' or 3'x4' with webbing. With a stand or feet would be a bonus. Please let me know if you have one for sale.

Fernando

I have a Baycast plate that approximate size, will have to confirm?
The plate has t-slots and is on a stand, probably about 30" overall height.
This thing weighs about 2000 lbs.?

Bay Cast - Plates

If any interest I can get some pic's and actual dimensions?

Also, you may want to post what budget your working with?

Kevin

Back