What's new
What's new

Wells - Index 747 milling machine, In PA

jamie76x

Hot Rolled
Wells Index model 747 with 46 1/2 table, 1hp, r-8 spindle and a 6" quil travel.
If you have ever used an Index or wells index machine, You know it makes a bridgeport look like a barbie doll. the 6" quil travel is an awsome thig to have, it can often save you time by not having to move your table to change from a drill chuck to boring head or what ever. The head runs smooth, all 3 quil feeds work nice and its reado to put to work. The ways show signs of wear, but its priced with that in mind. This machine has no problem holding tolerances. The paint is not very attractive, but the dials and handles were taken off and cleaned, polished and painted to make it easier to read them. Index's have real hand wheels and larger, easier to read dials than a barbieport. Price is $1900 cash and I am located in 18640 PA. Its under power and I can load it on your trailer. I can also throw in a phase converter for $200 extra. You can email me at [email protected] or call five seven zero, seven three zero, five one four seven.
Index 747 004.jpgIndex 747 003.jpgIndex 747 002.jpgIndex 747 005.jpg

Last edited:
If I were a little closer I might buy it, that sounds like a good deal. We bought one very similar for more, and it has the ugliest table in the world. At least a hundred holes from workers who didn't give a damn. Ours did have the ways recently rescraped, though.

Wells-Index is still in business, too, and has surprisingly good pricing on most replacement parts. Maybe it's the 1hp head people are worried about? I've had not a single problem with lack of power. I think the exact same motor would have a larger number printed on it if made today.

Back