What's new
What's new

WTB Bridgeport M-head

spfrazierjr

Plastic
Hi,

I am looking for a Bridgeport M-head. Must be complete or mostly complete (no motor is ok too). Please let me know if you have one for sale with a location, price, and specs.

I'm located in central PA.

Thanks,
Scott

Just a caveat:

M-head came with three spindles:

B3 - just walk away. No, don't even look back.
JUST. WALK. AWAY.
Collets are almost nowhere to be found and the chances of finding other spindle tooling like end mill holders is zilch minus ten.

Unless you have the capability to regrind this to something else, you are probably screwed. Even if it comes with a complete set of collets, you can't get anything else. Hell, if you get it cheap enough, part it out and sell the collets one at a time for outrageous prices like MikeKandu and use the money to buy another machine :-)

B&S7 - better than B3 (how could it possibly be worse?). Some tooling is available, but you will spend a lot of time and money combing ebay for tooling and I don't need anyone else bidding on the parts I'm chasing.

Seriously, I have spent more money on B&S7 tooling than the difference I would have paid by getting an MT2 spindle head.

I DID however, pick up an MT2 spindle and one of these days I will swap it out and sell the B&S7 spindle and tooling to some sucker that bought a B3 spindle.

MT2 - you can get anything and everything in MT2. Everything from top-notch USA-made tooling to cheap imports and anything in between. Collets, end mill holders, milling arbors, taper shank drills, boring head arbors, whatever.

Steve

Like, how central PA? How far from peekskill, NY?

My M head hasn't been run in several years but it's all there. And I have a small vertical machine to take
it's place.

I did the bearings when I got it, and it's MT2. 3 phase motor.

I'll mount it up to the hardinge next week to be sure it's solid.

Actually, BS7 tooling is very easy to get. I bought a collet set new from Little Machine Shop and I believe they sell endmill holders too.

B3....Run!

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

Actually, BS7 tooling is very easy to get. I bought a collet set new from Little Machine Shop and I believe they sell endmill holders too.
So does H&H Industrial.

I'd be the 'sucker' who'd trade a MT2 for # 7 B&S in a New York Minute, and figure I'd f*****d the other guy soundly.

MT was already proven poor fare for mills, rather than drills before Lincoln was shot.

A #7 B&S is very nearly exactly equal in grip and driving power to the later Bee Pee choice - the R8. A #9 B&S eats an R8's entire daily ration - not just lunch.

And... an 'M' head - wotever taper - is waay less of a mill than even a 1J, let alone a 2J.

The only advantage to an "M" is lower mass.

So if you have to operate out of a Grumman Aluminum canoe, or a Honda Gold Wing luggage trailer, that could be of value.

ELSE not so much.

:D

Yeah, they're really light mills. Great for contorted setups though!

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

Hi,

I am looking for a Bridgeport M-head. Must be complete or mostly complete (no motor is ok too). Please let me know if you have one for sale with a location, price, and specs.

I'm located in central PA.

Thanks,
Scott

Define complete. Are you wanting a Bridgeport mill that has an M head on it or do you want just the head?

I have just a head with 2MT spindle. The motor is included, but I don't know if it is good. I bought the head about 35 years ago to possibly mount on a Hardinge mill, but never used it. Cash and carry price in Fort Wayne, IN is $250. Packing and shipping would add a lot.

Larry

M head 1.jpgM head 2.jpgM head 3.jpgM head 4.jpg

In Peekskill:

M head serial number 10120 (this is the head only of course)
1/2 hp three phase motor - drum switch and S cord connection with plug
Downfeed handwheel
QR quill handle
8 MT2 collets, 1/16 to 1/2 inch
New abec7 bearings at bottom of spindle, new electric motor grade bearings for the pulley and top of spindle
2 inch diameter arbor adapter to fit a horizontal mill.

Just mounted it up run it after having been stored for several years, runs fine.

Post back here if you want photos.

Back