What's new
What's new

WTB - F350 w/7.3

Joe Miranda

Titanium
I am looking for an F350 with the 7.3l, crew cab, dually, 4x4 with less than 250k and willing to spend @ $12k. I don't really care how old - as long as it meets above criteria. Preferably south of the Mason Dixon and east of the Mississippi. Would be looking at Mid-March time frame. If any one is looking to sell one or knows of someone that is looking to sell one I would be interested in hearing from them. Joe

If you do find one, Make sure you check out the oil pan for leaks[rust through] Friend of mine had one, new oil pan was a couple hundred,[ dealer install. over 2 grand]. No local garages would touch it. motor has to be pulled,or cross member cut out and rewelded. We finally got a [kit] from someone on the East coast, that had a molded plastic pan,you cleaned existing pan,[no small job in itself] Gooped it up, then gooped the inside of the plastic pan, and jacked it up under and onto the old rusted out pan, The [kit] was about $300.00,but worked well. We googled the GOOP,from the {KIT} and it was something developed by the military for patching airplane fuel tanks. It's not a job that can be done on the ground, a pit or lift is a necessity. Google Ford diesel oil pan leaks, If you think I'm pulling your leg. Dave [acme thread]

Thanks acme - I will keep that in mind. I have a '95 F350 with a 5.8l gas engine and the oil pan rusted through. It wasn't too bad of a job. Maybe the diesel is worse.

A superduty with a 12 valve Cummins makes a real nice truck. $12k might get you one finished or you can roll your own for less.

The '05 and newer 4x4's have drastically improved turning radius/front end wear parts/brakes.

The V10 is probably the best engine to get in those years as the diesels are all horrible, but, again, the Cummins option is a real slick way to do it.

I had a 97' F-350 with a 7.5 (460ci). Same thing. Had to lift the engine a bit to remove pan.

Back