What's new
What's new

WTB: Pullmax type machine

illagirb

Plastic
I would like to buy a Pullmax type nibbling machine. I was looking on some old posts, and it looks like they were once plentiful and somewhat obsolete. Does anybody know of any for sale? Thanks.

Apparently they were featured on an episode of Orange County Choppers, or a street rod variant of that show, and all of the machines are currently residing under a tattered tarp, but still worth thousands of dollars, each.

I hope you know an industrial electrician experienced in the switchgear for 480 volt multispeed three phase motors, the motors being integrated into the machine, and practically impossible to substitute.

"Pullmax" is a popular ebay spamming keyword. Expect dozens of results, none of the results being an actual Pullmax machine.

My pullmax has a standard flange mount 3 phase motor
Its true what Steve Bausch said about tv changing values as even in england the price has gone mad because of these shows as they were once near obsolete sheet metal niblers that were valueless and it was the eckold kraftworker that was highly priced.

Search on ebay etc for sheet metal nibbler and you might get lucky and find one a sensible money

Apparently they were featured on an episode of Orange County Choppers, or a street rod variant of that show, and all of the machines are currently residing under a tattered tarp, but still worth thousands of dollars, each.

I hope you know an industrial electrician experienced in the switchgear for 480 volt multispeed three phase motors, the motors being integrated into the machine, and practically impossible to substitute.

"Pullmax" is a popular ebay spamming keyword. Expect dozens of results, none of the results being an actual Pullmax machine.

I've had several of the Pullmax machines, all of them had motors with a standard base mount that could be replaced easily?

People convert the machines to run on a VFD, makes it user friendly when using custom tooling.

Most of the older machines have two speed motors and sometimes odd voltages.....

Now I've never had the motor out of my P21....cannot say what kind of mounting it has yet, the machine has a variable speed drive from the factory.

There's been several Pullmax's come up for sale lately, a couple of them on eBay were good deals and the later P21's.....these are the machines everyone wants!

There are a lot of plans and examples of people making their own reciprocating machine.......that might be an option?

Kevin

While there still might be the occasional five hundred dollar pullmax out there, the prices went up at least 20 years ago, way before Orange County was on tv. The hot rod guys, and custom sheet metal shapers got turned onto them in the 80s. I saw them hit 3 to 5 grand used on the west coast by 92 or so.
Although the actual craft of sheet metal shaping takes time and effort to master, a lot of guys hope they can skip the learning curve by buying a machine- so there are a fair amount of pullmaxes out there that dont get used much, but, unfortunately, that doesnt make em cheap.

Also- they were ten or twelve thousand dollar machines new, and now, a new one is gonna run you a lot more than that.
yes, you can still buy a new one- X-Machines AB

there never were very many of em in the USA- low thousands, most likely, as opposed to hundreds of thousands of bridgeports or press brakes.

I think these days, anything under five grand is a deal.

Buying one and thinking you're going to get it wired in and start nibbling, punching or louvering.... perish the thought.

I worked in a shop for 16 years that had one of these.

The same fellow ran it all those years... he could do everything. We ran from 16 gauge to 10 gauge through it. Hot roll to stainless... screen wire sometimes. They cut round discs, cut sheets with long straight sides and rounded ends, even cut what you'd recognize as the blades on an old windmill.... but for a different purpose.

Getting the clearances set right for the different thicknesses of metal is an art.
Getting the tool stroke set correctly for each gauge of metal.
Sharpening the cutting tools takes a special holder.

Oil seals in the business end of the machine leaked... that maintenance was challenging.
It had it's own set of tools and sharpening fixtures for the cutting tools...

about 20 years ago you would see one at every auction that would go for scrap. I bought and sold a few to sculptors and body shop guys. one to a guy who set it up for use exclusively as a circle cutter, flanger.
several brands were made, lennox, trumpf, Pullmax, I once got one with about 3 pallets of tooling!

I have seen a lot nibblers in Europe, but shipping would be prohibitive. If anybody knows od any that might be for sale in any condition let me know. Thanks

Thanks, that ones a little small for everything I would like to use it for. I Didn't know they made them like that. t

you are looking for a pullmax nibbler, I have one for sale asking $2500 Canadian. if interested email me
at scotty@my highspeed.ca

Back