What's new
What's new

WTB second op turret lathe

Whetstone

Cast Iron
I'm looking to add a Hardinge HC or DV-59 turret lathe, or similar model to my shop. We are producing more and more small brass parts and my W&S #3 is too slow (700rpm) and cumbersome. I am open to other brands/models than hardinge is the price is right. Major plus if you can include tooling as all my tooling is for 1.5" shank.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hardinge Lathe I know it's in Seattle, but it's what you need.
No it's not...both the OP and the seller of that lathe are wrong. What he wants is a DSM-59, with a turret...... not a DV, which is more for toolroom prototype work, which is officially a "high speed precision lathe". Any "common" pronouncements of it being a "second operation" lathe are flat out wrong.

HARDINGE-DV59-Precision-Metal-Lathe-Catalog-DV-59-0336.jpg
HARDINGE-DSM-59-DSM59-R-DSM59-Lathe-Operators-Manual-0331.jpg

Last edited:
I cannot believe how little value something like a fully tooled Hardinge HC is worth these days. Of course mine has paid for itself many times over, but to think something you paid $3k for a couple decades about is now worth $750 is kind of mind blowing. I believe they are bullet proof, in 20+ years of daily use mine has not even blown a fuse. The only thing I did was make a homemade belt tensioner to stop the belt from squealing. I guess the belt that was probably the original and over 40 years old finally stretched a little too much. I have also made many a "don't try this at home" part back in the day with no mishaps.

No it's not...both the OP and the seller of that lathe are wrong. What he wants is a DSM-59, with a turret...... not a DV, which is more for toolroom prototype work, which is officially a "high speed precision lathe". Any "common" pronouncements of it being a "second operation" lathe are flat out wrong.

HARDINGE-DV59-Precision-Metal-Lathe-Catalog-DV-59-0336.jpg
HARDINGE-DSM-59-DSM59-R-DSM59-Lathe-Operators-Manual-0331.jpg

Yes, what I am looking for is a DSM-59. I need a turret over a tail stock

Would you consider a Wade? Not sure of model, but it's about the size of a DSM 59. I know of a shop that had one for sale a short while ago, could probably get it for a great price. If you're interested I'll call them for details.

The W&S #3's as well as the #5 are still there afaik.
I just made a call about the Wade. The person I talked to wasn't sure if it's still available but thinks it is. I'll email you when I get more details.

I just made a call about the Wade. The person I talked to wasn't sure if it's still available but thinks it is. I'll email you when I get more details.

Great! next time you are in east providence stop by for a beer

Great! next time you are in east providence stop by for a beer

Back