What's new
What's new

WTS Carlton radial drill

romie24

Hot Rolled
2016-08-31 10.32.51.jpg2016-08-31 10.33.28.jpg2016-08-31 10.33.58.jpg

WTS this Carlton Radial Drill. Its serial number is OA18 4' arm 9" column. I am told its from 1935 thereabouts. You can see in the pics that it has a different base , that's how we got it. Forward and reverse is by drum switch no lever. 4 MT taper spindle and wired 220 3 ph. The drill table is a home built one that I have with taped holes so I would like to keep it but would throw in the one from another Carlton we have so that's the reason for the picture of the table. At times there is an issue with it not staying in gear at high speeds, but I just ran it and it seemed fine so I don't know what to say about that just putting it out there. Asking $500 OBO, we can load. If anyone needs more pictures let me know. Thanks mike

Saw this drill when I dropped in to see Mike.
Decent shape and convenient size.
After running a 6 ft. American as an apprentice years ago I'd
call this one a 'pocket drill' :D

If there is anyone interested and wants to see it run, please let me know . It is hooked up and running and I know there are guys that have said they may stop by later this month and or next month . If this is the case then that's great I can wait, but if no one is coming then it is going to be taken outside for space in the shop. Just asking so I can plan. Thanks. Mike

If I had room I would jump on this. You might want to take a video of it running before you unhook it from power so you can show a prospective buyer how it runs.

to many tanks of fuel away for me I have been looking for a small radial drill ken

Limited here by an 8-foot one-inch overhead, I've been salivating since last summer. Even with an 800 mile each way estimated $1500 - $2000 all-rented go-fetch.

However .. lack of FWD-STOP-REV bar and clutch that I can creep or 'feather' is a non-starter for me on a high-flexibility radial DP. Fixed-purpose machine akin to a second-op lathe vs general purpose if you will.

Suspect I may not be the Lone Ranger on that particular detail.

Bill

However .. lack of FWD-STOP-REV bar and clutch that I can creep or 'feather' is a non-starter for me on a high-flexibility radial DP. Fixed-purpose machine akin to a second-op lathe vs general purpose if you will.

Suspect I may not be the Lone Ranger on that particular detail.

Bill
Your not alone....

My old radial was an "all electric" and the swapped out for, Taiwan smaller one (3' arm) is yet another "Bang Bang" model.

The Carlton's at work were clutched and were great for that there reason alone.

I know what you guys mean, the other radials I have do have the clutch handle and I prefer them . I wrote to guy in the Heavy iron section that has a OA to see if he could use any parts and I will probably just scrap it. I just hate to see old iron go like that but if it's just going to sit outside then what's the point. Mike

I know what you guys mean, the other radials I have do have the clutch handle and I prefer them . I wrote to guy in the Heavy iron section that has a OA to see if he could use any parts and I will probably just scrap it. I just hate to see old iron go like that but if it's just going to sit outside then what's the point. Mike

I sent a link to a Harold P. on pirate4x4.com, has he contacted you? Seemed interested.

Last edited:

Back