Brown & Sharpe #13 Universal & Tool Grinder - manual & brochure
Close
Login to Your Account
Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    832
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    249
    Likes (Received)
    108

    Default Brown & Sharpe #13 Universal & Tool Grinder - manual & brochure

    I found a B&S # 13 brochure through a Google search. It is a .pdf file
    and can be viewed and downloaded along with all other material I have on the B&S#13,
    including source info for the operations and maintenance manual.

    URL for this document:
    http://www.ibiblio.org/machineshop/B...anual+brochure

    Picture of a B&S Universal & Tool Grinder
    http://www.ibiblio.org/machineshop/B...calGrinder.jpg

    Source for the operations and maintenance manual, some parts, tooling & accessories & B&S grinding machines:

    Industrial Surplus, Inc.
    337 Berlin Turnpike
    Berlin, Ct., 06037
    Phone 860 828 3541
    Fax 860 828 6747
    Industrial Surplus - Used machinery - Netsol
    Industrial Surplus - Used machinery - Netsol

    URL for image of the title page of the manual:
    http://www.ibiblio.org/machineshop/B...nce-manual.jpg
    http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...an_pic0001.jpg

    URL for a PDF file of the brown & sharpe no. 13 univeral & tool grinder brochure
    http://www.ibiblio.org/machineshop/B...r-brochure.pdf

    Index of /machineshop/B+SCylGrind
    Index of /machineshop/B+SCylGrind
    [IMG] B&S13Grinder-operations+maintenance-manual.jpg 07-Apr-2012 22:08 414K
    [TXT] B&SNo.13grinder-manual+brochure.txt 14-Apr-2012 08:17 951
    [IMG] B+S-13-UniversalCylindricalGrinder.jpg 03-Jan-2007 23:53 110K
    [ ] brown&sharpe-no.13-univeral+tool-grinder-brochure.pdf 13-Apr-2012 21:45 7.0M

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Posts
    101
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    7
    Likes (Received)
    52

    Default

    I don't think all of your links work. But what did was very interesting.

    We have a manual for the old 13 Grinder here as well:

    BROWN & SHARPE Old 13 Universal Grinder Parts Manual

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Mebane North Carolina USA
    Posts
    6,165
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    51
    Likes (Received)
    1630

    Default

    its great you stopped by to make a sale.

  4. Likes MICK 1958, Jeff Lougfh liked this post
  5. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    129
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1
    Likes (Received)
    43

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mebfab View Post
    its great you stopped by to make a sale.
    Here is one request to delete his post, they have spammed this board many times.
    If they want to advertise their products here, they should pay like the others do..

  6. Likes MICK 1958 liked this post
  7. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Posts
    101
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    7
    Likes (Received)
    52

    Default

    Nick, I'm not here to spam anyone. Just to help, and join in genuine conversations with fellow machinist.

    If you honestly don't think the post would be helpful to someone, go ahead and delete it. Or if you have any questions about Brown & Sharpe machine manuals or literature, feel free to ask. They made some of the best manuals for their time.

  8. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Munster, In. USA
    Posts
    1,914
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    320
    Likes (Received)
    474

    Default

    Matt,

    "its great you stopped by to make a sale"

    Sale or no sale, thanks for this link.
    http://www.ibiblio.org/machineshop/B...r-brochure.pdf
    I needed info on a B & S #13 as I am seeking a cylindrical grinder.
    John

  9. Likes MICK 1958 liked this post
  10. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    832
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    249
    Likes (Received)
    108

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jhruska View Post
    Sale or no sale, thanks for this link.
    http://www.ibiblio.org/machineshop/B...r-brochure.pdf
    I needed info on a B & S #13 as I am seeking a cylindrical grinder.
    John
    Could someone PM me with source info on a left side (facing headstock) wheel guard for a 10" wheel for my B&S #13? PM since this is OT in this forum.
    Tnx, LL

  11. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    PITTSBURGH, PA.
    Posts
    1,082
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    351
    Likes (Received)
    74

    Default

    LL,

    I think you would be best served in making a cardboard template and cutting one out and have it welded together. There were many of these machines sold... and a lot of them scrapped in the recent high prices of scrap metal ( a year ago) And some owners scrap them so they don't end up being "competitors" for them in the future.

    MM

  12. Likes LFLondon liked this post
  13. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Posts
    8,106
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2347
    Likes (Received)
    2610

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MICK 1958 View Post
    LL,

    I think you would be best served in making a cardboard template and cutting one out and have it welded together. There were many of these machines sold... and a lot of them scrapped in the recent high prices of scrap metal ( a year ago) And some owners scrap them so they don't end up being "competitors" for them in the future.

    MM
    Truly a work of art grinder. I have put many miles on them and have one in my shop (although mine is not complete. I have a couple extra spindles one bearing and one bronze that I might sell someday.. Or not.

    Buck

  14. Likes LFLondon liked this post
  15. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Posts
    8
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    We recently acquired a Brown and Sharpe no 13 grinder. I checked the posts for this machine but am not having much luck finding information. I need a manual. There is one advertised on line but the owners don't want to pay the price. This is a very small father/son operation and money is tight. Can anyone direct me to a free manual? Specifically, I need to know how to acquire and install a missing belt that mounts on the outer motor pulley track. Thanks.

  16. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Brooksville, Fla.
    Posts
    479
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    64
    Likes (Received)
    57

    Default B&s #13

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lougfh View Post
    We recently acquired a Brown and Sharpe no 13 grinder. I checked the posts for this machine but am not having much luck finding information. I need a manual. There is one advertised on line but the owners don't want to pay the price. This is a very small father/son operation and money is tight. Can anyone direct me to a free manual? Specifically, I need to know how to acquire and install a missing belt that mounts on the outer motor pulley track. Thanks.
    I have manual.. Mine is a #13 vintage 1949 .let me know if I can help.
    Robbie's Machine Service

  17. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Posts
    8
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    I can't find any nomenclature plates to give me an idea of the machines age. It has one flat belt outside the machine that drives an upper pulley. There should be two flat belts inside that use motor power to drive the mechanics but only one was on the machine. That belt is attached to a pulley that drives the outboard belt pulley. Do you have a diagram of the belt setup in your manual? That might tell me if I can use the manual. Many thanks.

  18. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Navasota / Whitehall Texas
    Posts
    3,369
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2483
    Likes (Received)
    1828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lougfh View Post
    I can't find any nomenclature plates to give me an idea of the machines age. It has one flat belt outside the machine that drives an upper pulley. There should be two flat belts inside that use motor power to drive the mechanics but only one was on the machine. That belt is attached to a pulley that drives the outboard belt pulley. Do you have a diagram of the belt setup in your manual? That might tell me if I can use the manual. Many thanks.
    Are you missing the longer flat belt that goes around the counter weight and then up to the head to drive the spindle ?

  19. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Posts
    8
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    Yes. But the spindle is driven by a motor mounted on the spindle. I thought this belt had more to do with feeding the spindle carriage. I could be wrong, but the spindle motor does appear to be original.

  20. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Navasota / Whitehall Texas
    Posts
    3,369
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2483
    Likes (Received)
    1828

    Default

    A picture of the front, back and left side of your machine would be very helpfull...

    Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

  21. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    36
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    Anyone know the base size of a B&S 510 surface grinder?

  22. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    North Carolina
    Posts
    1,835
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    123
    Likes (Received)
    322

    Default

    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8Z...3R-BSn7bduV8Zg

    Doozer
    - YouTube


    I have been restoring a Brown and Sharpe #13H on my youtube channel.
    Thought some of you would be interested.

    --Doozer

  23. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Moscow,Idaho,USA
    Posts
    936
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1089
    Likes (Received)
    393

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SUOMI View Post
    Anyone know the base size of a B&S 510 surface grinder?

    I'm a month late to the party but my 510 Micromasters base is 20" wide and 27" front to back.


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •