What's new
What's new

URSUS Lathe Brochure

URSUS (Italy) lathe brochure, send me an email if you would like higher resolution. Click on an image 3 times for full size.

View attachment 185275 View attachment 185276 View attachment 185277 View attachment 185278 View attachment 185279
Hello Peter,

I've been trying to find the complete manual for the Ursus lathe shown here.

I tried an email in England where they said to have it, but I never got a response.

My email is [email protected] ...

I would be glad for high resolution images.
And if there is any additional information you can send me, I would be grateful.

Cheers,

~David

321-446-9849

I live in Ohio, USA.

Hi David,

I don't have a manual, only a scan of the brochure.

Edit: I found the same manual pdf as below on the archive.org website. No log in required:

The same rather poor manual is also on the French Passion-Usinages website. You have to register to read or download their manuals, but that is easy.

If you use Google translate, it will automatically translate every page on the French website (but not any of the actual brochures or manuals).

I will try and attach the pdf from their website:

Note, courtesy of the Passion-Usinages website:

Attachments

• Ursus.pdf
    4.5 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:
The forum now allows me to post higher resolution images, so here is the brochure again at the highest resolution I have (so no need to email them to you).

Ursus scan 01.jpg Ursus scan 02.jpg Ursus scan 03.jpg Ursus scan 04.jpg Ursus scan 05.jpg Ursus scan 06.jpg

Attachments

• Ursus scan 05 & 06.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:
I received a message from Mike, see below:

G'day Peter
I noticed a while back you posted some brochures on the Ursus lathe.
Do you know how many litres of oil is required for an oil change?
I'm closing down Dad's old workshop and just sold one of these to a bloke nearby and the machine is empty as it hasn't been used in years. Still working well though. Its an Ursus 250.
Cheers
Mike

Hi Mike,
I don't have a manual, nor seen an Ursus lathe, so can't be much help.

I did download the Italian-language manual (not a very comprehensive manual), see post #4.

It is unclear to me from the manual how the lube system for the headstock works. I am guessing there is a sump in the base of the headstock from which oil is circulated to both the headstock and feeds/screw cutting gearbox. Is this correct? I have not seen a lathe which shares oil between headstock and feed box, but maybe some do).

If so, the oil for the headstock and feeds/screwcutting box is Mobil DTE 797 - Oil Light.

I'll leave it to you to confirm this, but a quick search suggests DTE 797 later became DTE 732. Another quick search suggests it is ISO 32 viscosity. My guess is that a ISO 32 hydraulic oil would be OK, but please check with more knowledgeable sources.

The apron/carriage reservoir and various ball oilers use Mobil Vactra No.2.

I keyed some paragraphs from page 2 of the manual into Google Translate:

To replace the oil in the head and Norton box, first drain the old lubricant. For this operation it is necessary to remove the motor protection "C" (page 9) [louvred panel at the base of the headstock] and loosen the cap (plug?) under the base of the pallet (sump?)

To refill the oil, remove the cover "D" (fig. page 9) and fill the tank of the Norton head and gearbox, taking care to check the oil level submerges the filter. (Note: "D" refers to a cover on the rear of the headstock. Not the upper-most cover on the rear side, but the one below it).

For this operation always use oil type Mobil DTE 797-Oil Light.

Also take care to fill the apron tank through the "K" cap (fig. page 7), located in the carriage, up to the level of the warning light
(glass?), as well as the screw and rod support trays and the ball oilers with oil type Mobil Vactra No.2. [The cap "K" is on the top surface of the carriage].

Hi David,

I don't have a manual, only a scan of the brochure.

I did just find a rather poor manual of sorts on the French Passion-Usinages website. You have to register to read or download their manuals, but that is easy.

If you use Google translate, it will automatically translate every page from this website (but not any of the actual brochures or manuals).

I will try and attach the pdf from their website:

Note, courtesy of the Passion-Usinages website:

Peter,

Thank you for taking the time to respond and for attaching the PDF.
I will check it out.

~David

I received a message from Mike, see below:

Hi Mike,
I don't have a manual, nor seen an Ursus lathe, so can't be much help.

I did download the Italian-language manual (not a very comprehensive manual), see post #4.

It is unclear to me from the manual how the lube system for the headstock works. I am guessing there is a sump in the base of the headstock from which oil is circulated to both the headstock and feeds/screw cutting gearbox. Is this correct? I have not seen a lathe which shares oil between headstock and feed box, but maybe some do).

If so, the oil for the headstock and feeds/screwcutting box is Mobil DTE 797 - Oil Light.

I'll leave it to you to confirm this, but a quick search suggests DTE 797 later became DTE 732. Another quick search suggests it is ISO 32 viscosity. My guess is that a ISO 32 hydraulic oil would be OK, but please check with more knowledgeable sources.

The apron/carriage reservoir and various ball oilers use Mobil Vactra No.2.

I keyed some paragraphs from page 2 of the manual into Google Translate:

To replace the oil in the head and Norton box, first drain the old lubricant. For this operation it is necessary to remove the motor protection "C" (page 9) [louvred panel at the base of the headstock] and loosen the cap (plug?) under the base of the pallet (sump?)

To refill the oil, remove the cover "D" (fig. page 9) and fill the tank of the Norton head and gearbox, taking care to check the oil level submerges the filter. (Note: "D" refers to a cover on the rear of the headstock. Not the upper-most cover on the rear side, but the one below it).

For this operation always use oil type Mobil DTE 797-Oil Light.

Also take care to fill the apron tank through the "K" cap (fig. page 7), located in the carriage, up to the level of the warning light
(glass?), as well as the screw and rod support trays and the ball oilers with oil type Mobil Vactra No.2. [The cap "K" is on the top surface of the carriage].
Thanks Peter, really invaluable information for us. I will pass this on to the chap who bought the machine. I was with him today in the workshop. He removed the top cover of the headstock and filled it directly from the top with 20 litres of hydraulic oil but this caused it to leak from the bottom. He didn't remove cover 'D' and do it that way. So this could be the problem. I will drop by his workshop tomorrow and see if I can take photos.

Back