What's new
What's new

AR-MAX1 compressor

I saw this video a few months back and liked how the blades were manufactured and installed. My first job out of college was working for Air Liquide as a process design engineer back in the mid-90's. Pressures and volumes of tonnage plants have increased substantially in a relatively short time. At these volumes the amount of xenon and krypton produced must be a nice bonus to an already profitable process.

Quite a beast indeed. Beefy for sure! And, it's just a compressor, not an engine. It was not misrepresented, it's a centrifugal fed axial design very high pressure ratio compressor. Not high technology at all, it's absolute brute force, very heavy parts designed for long lived success.

It reminds me how difficult it is to achieve adequate compression ratios with very light weight and extremely reliable parts hanging off the wings of the fragile aircraft that ferry poorly dressed people around the globe with fire powering the hot end of those turbomachines. The fire wants to kill the hot parts and the dance begins.

Back