What's new
What's new

Assistance Identifying This Brown & Sharpe Mill

73Midget

Plastic
Hello Everyone,

I came across this mill for sale and was trying to get a little more information on it. I spoke with the seller and he didn't have any other details and was not at the location of the mill when I called. He doesn't have a set price so was also wondering what something like this would go for? I already have a Bridgeport and a SB Heavy 10. Looking to add a small horizontal mill to mess around on.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Greg

BrownSharpeMill.jpg

That mill is a #13 plain and is a rendition of the original for that series going back as far as 1893 as shown in the first print.
It was regarded as a production mill that was set up for repetitive work.
Upgraded sometime after 1914 to your version. Look for a patent date on the casting.
If present that date will be close to the year of manufacture.
The #13 in an upgrade by 1935 is the second photo. B&S changed machine identification numbers
and the #13 was relabeled #22 plain and also known as a 'Bed' type of milling machine.
The third photo is a similar machine known as a #12 plain. I have this mill.

13 B&S 1893.jpg13 B&S production mill.jpg12 B&S production mill.jpg
John

That mill looks to be a complete machine.

Thanks John. I had assumed it was more for production work based on the absence of a movable y axis. Any idea on the value of something like this? I'm most likely going to pass on this one since I'm just a hobbyist and most of the work I do is one off. With that said though, I won't be able to pass if the price is right.

Thanks again,

Greg

Greg,
That mill likely has a #10 B&S spindle taper. It may have a drawbar for arbors and tool holders. If the spindle only takes tanged tool holders I do not see the slot for driving the arbor out of the spindle taper.
This machine would be more useful if it comes with extra arbors, spacers, and tool holders. High speed tooling would be a plus. Making parts would require a constant supply of coolant as evident by the coolant hose near the spindle. Sometimes that is a splashy mess.
As for cost, usually up to the seller and the buyer.
It does not have the cachet that some machines have and will not command a premium price. Larger machines are sometimes free if someone will get it off the property. Well equipped and running maybe $200?
The #12 mill I acquired was free as it was otherwise destined to be put out in a Chicago alley. It has some issues to be resolved if it will run again.
Where in the wide world of Waldo is this mill located?
John

Back