What's new
What's new

beyond gorilla glass

Kyocera rugged phones use sapphire screens, I wasn't able to hurt the two I had in use.

Kyocera rugged phones use sapphire screens, I wasn't able to hurt the two I had in use.

Few seem to be familiar with Kyocera phones. I've had one for quite a while and it's been the most rugged, most waterproof phone I've ever owned or heard of.

I don't think twice about putting my keys in the same pocket (but usually don't for comfort), and when I kayak it just gets attached to my PFD. I frequently roll the boat (on purpose) and have yet to experience water intrusion. No expensive, bulky case required.

Few seem to be familiar with Kyocera phones. I've had one for quite a while and it's been the most rugged, most waterproof phone I've ever owned or heard of.

I don't think twice about putting my keys in the same pocket (but usually don't for comfort), and when I kayak it just gets attached to my PFD. I frequently roll the boat (on purpose) and have yet to experience water intrusion. No expensive, bulky case required.

Just picked up a duraforce pro the other day...Some asshat needed my old phone more than I did I guess...

That video is from 2014...Last I knew, GT Technologies was all but dead because Sapphire underperformed horribly. Apple actually gave them a monster loan ($1 Billion?) to automate their process, but as quality and other test results came back, Apple was so disappointed they announced they were going to continue with Gorilla Glass, and called the note on GT. The project I was working on for GT got "put on hiatus" (we started parting out the machines we had built) and I honestly assumed the only place GT was going to go was bankruptcy. Not sure what their status is now - haven't thought about them in a while.

Last edited:
I was in the grocery store a couple months ago, and at the deli section with tables for people to eat, there was an Iphone sitting on the end of the table. I sat down since I'd gotten a bite to eat, and no one immediately returned; so I took the phone over to the service desk, sat back down, and said to myself "in less than 5 minutes there will be someone looking frantic coming thru the door". Sure nuf, two ladies came in frantically scanning and roaming the area (one almost hysterical), and I said you must be looking for a phone, and told her that I took it over to the service desk--she retrieved her phone, came back and hugged and thanked me as if I'd rescued her child from a burning automobile. I heard some survey recently of "top ten stressful life events", things like losing a child, cancer, divorce, financial problems, etc.. Losing one's smartphone was up there at # 9 or 10, tied with a terrorist attack...sad.

The loss wasn't that stressful, trying to find the scumbag and hit them with a titanium bar was...

Back