What's new
What's new

CAT 24H Motor Grader Complete Rebuild Project

Wow I didn't realize how big that thing was till I saw this!
61114103.TheCrew3.jpg

Only thing cooler in my mind is a D-10! I've seen the smaller road graders before and they are decent size, but that is a big one! As some one who is into making model trains and such, I always find it cool how CAT seems to have their equiptment available in several different "Scales" their big grader looks identical to their smaller one just much bigger! When you work up close and personal with one of these things, is everything but the drivers seat pretty much identical to the smaller version, only bigger/smaller by a scaling factor?

Also do you know what one of those things cost new? and also what the price is to rebuild? Do you work for them? What originally went wrong on that machine to lead to the need to be rebuilt, or is that just standard wear?

Adam

Also do you know what one of those things cost new? and also what the price is to rebuild? Do you work for them? What originally went wrong on that machine to lead to the need to be rebuilt, or is that just standard wear?
I have no idea about pricing on that machine but I'd guess 800 thousand to 1.2 million; based on cost of motor alone at maybe 500 thousand. Rebuild, 400 - 600 thousand, just a wild guess, i.e. cheaper than buying a new one.

I would expect that some major components were worn to the point of needing a complete rebuild and the rest of the machine was worn enough that since they had to disassemble most of the machine anyway they might as well do the rest of it and
recondition all connection points, surfaces, linkages and support equipment such as controls, electronic, electrical and otherwise with more modern gear, new wiring, etc., operator cab, seat, lights, new surround sound dvd audio/laptop/tv/internet :), plus all the guidance and remote sensing gear (if any) related
to the grading and landforming process. I don't know much about these machines but I do have an appreciation for the level of work they can accomplish, i.e. massive precision earth moving
and of course grading, making precise earthforms.
From a permaculture perspective this is a remarkable tool to have at your disposal
to accomplish large scale terraforming projects.
Whereas a bulldozer can move huge quantities of
hard and densely packed material the motor grader can create the finished product, flat surfaces, berms, swales, cavities, precision-formed with regard to slope, contour, level, flatness, compaction, materials aggregate and layering to a high degree of accuracy. Site preparation, earthworks (coffer dam, backfilling operations, layering and compaction, when evenness of distribution of materials is important, are operations this machine excels at, alone and in combination with bulldozers, track hoes, low loaders (belly pan), track loaders and roller compactors.

With water becoming a precious resource, catchments of all sorts, large scale to distributed, will become important as water impoundment and purification becomes increasingly necessary for municipal, agricultural and aquacultural uses.

I found this gallery while browsing PBase. The rest of the authors photographs are also interesting. I posted a link to a great railroading gallery in this PM forum a while back.

LL

HELLO,
i bet that cost big $$$. i wish we could
get ours run through, and factory fresh.
we have a CAT that was made about 1918, and should be in a museum, instead of grading our roads.
wlbrown

I've got a Cat number 8 Motor Grader that I'm not sure what I'm going to do with. It's got a 4 cylinder gas engine, all mechanical controls, dual wheels in back and weighs 14,000 lbs.

I have a cat model 12 that I aquired a few years back. It is one of 52 that were built with gas engines. Serial number is 6M17 and it is a 1940. Thousands were built with diesels (D4600 and D318) Only a hand full were built with a G4600 engine. It is apart at the moment because of a broken differential case. I have the parts to fix it now, just need to make some time to clean it up, paint it and reassemble it. Weighs in at 11 tons. Terry, That Cat #8 is also a rare model. Dave!

Back