What's new
What's new

delta DP-10 restoration

bill noble

Plastic
here is a DP-10 DELTA drill press (17inch)- it started out that I wanted to upgrade my made in Taiwan drill press that had served me for a few decades but was not running as true as I wanted it to. A friend sold me a floor standing DP-10 - probably from late 40s which I figured I could clean up and use as a replacement - it was about 3X as heavy - but it was really dirty. So I took it apart to clean it and found that the rack on teh quill was broken and the gear that raises the table was broken. I was about to give up when I went to a machinery surplus place to look at a different drill press. What I found was NOT what I wanted, but outside he had an iron table with 3 more DP-10s on them (fragments of which are seen in the second picture). Between the three additional heads and what I started with, I was able to assemble a nice working drill press - I changed all the bearings in the spindle/quill and in the motor, added a small VFD so I have variable speed, and painted it with a pale green Imron paint - I like the color.

After finishing the job and starting to use it, it's amazing how much nicer it is to drill holes - I don't know whether it less runout on the drill or the heavier weight or something else, but it sure is nicer.

so, one project out of the way..... Now to find out what to do with three head castings and the misc residue from the heads I didn't use.....

Attachments

• Copy of my drill press.JPG
    Copy of my drill press.JPG
    96.5 KB · Views: 2,974
  • Copy of PICT0001.JPG
    Copy of PICT0001.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 760
Nice drillpress

Nice Job! Looks excellent, could you post a few more pic of the finished product.
Finished Drillpress ready to use.... how much did it cost you?
I do belive it is well worth the effort od restoring older machines as long as it is with in the project is in reasonable shape to begin with. And the satisfaction..... Sky high

Good morning, excellent work, your drill was excellent. I live in Brazil and I have a Rockwell drill, identical to yours, and I would like to know if you could give me some restoration tips.

Back