What's new
What's new

Icebreaker with asymmetrical hull can cut a swath through ice from the sides.

That is rather cool, considering the ice is 37" thick but something I can't help but wonder is if it is actually safe to sail though the passage those things cut? That thing cuts a path about one boat length in width, however it sure looks like one sheet could slide over and mate back with the other sandwiching any boat that travels down the passage between? Am I reading too far into this or is that a real possibility. I would think sailing down the middle would be scary if you weren't in a boat made to go through 37" thick ice?

The description listed it as a Polar 6 which is six feet of ice maximum. Years ago a polar seven was going to be built in the Vancouver area but it never happened. I saw a hull out of the water and they must be the most uncomfortable vessel in open water. The bottom is like a shallow bowl. The idea is to ride up on top of the ice then break through with downward pressure.
The propulsion is three prop drives much like the leg of an outboard motor,so I expect they can completely swivel allowing the hull to fracture ice while moving sideways. The asymmetrical shape below the waterline would be interesting to see.

looked up and drives are set in three locations at the vertex of a triangle, one up front.
Learn Ship Design: Ship Of The Week - BALTIKA (Icebreaker)

Back