What's new
What's new

Lagun FU-2 Horizontal / Vertical Mill for Sale

Diving Doug

Plastic
This is a complete Lagun FU-2 Universal Milling Machine. Picked up a couple years back with the thoughts I could use it in my shop. Discovered it needed 440 3-Phase so then considered getting a step-up transformer but they are way expensive so then considered running on 220 3-Ph but was concerned I may run into other issues (internal transformer may not power relays, etc).

So after taking up a lot of space in my shop, I have contemplated stripping it down for parts, selling it for scrap or selling to a shop that needs a really hefty milling machine.

Deciding to try and sell to be used first and for a bargain at only $2500.

Has full horizontal and vertical capabilities. Table has a heavy duty taper adjustment to avoid having to rotate the vice when an angled cut is needed. Would love to have a feature like this on my little vertical mill.

Yes, there are some caveats. First, I did not see it running before I got it so can not guarantee that it will run on the first flip of the switch. It looks like mice may have gotten into the control panel at one time but there doesn't appear to be any real damage to wiring, just lots of mice turds and a little chewing of the papers inside.

Second, this thing is heavy, close to 8000 lbs or more and it is in my home shop with no loading dock. Additionally, while I can jack it and move it to the edge of the slab, I have no way to lift it. This means the buyer would need to supply a forklift or similar. Note that the area in front of the shop is mostly packed gravel and did support the lift I rented to unload it but a rough terrain lift would be best.

I will certainly consider offers. This monster is located in Statesville NC 28677.

I can take some additional photos if needed though I have tended to use it as a storage shelf recently in my crowded shop so it may be challenging to get good clean shots.

Note, the splash pan seen at the bottom of the table is included and I have a few horizontal cutters I can toss in but the little rotary table is not included.

IMG_1126.jpg

Would you keep the mill if you could get a transformer for a "reasonable" price? I don't know the kVA requirements, but just looking around ebay I found several at what I thought were reasonable priced used. Here's a 30kVA 3 phase transformer for $350.00 plus freight.
Three Phase Transformer | eBay

If you are patient, you might be able to wait for one to come up for sale close enough to you to pickup yourself and save shipping.

That appears to require a 440v input. Step-up transformers from 220 3Ph to 440 3Ph are less common and are typically going to by much more.

The other factor that plays into this is that I need room for some other equipment I am bring in. Got a lathe coming and a neighbor is going to give me a nice brake and a big press so I need to make room anyway. Thanks for the suggestion though.

These are nice mills. Were we settled at our new shop I would be be driving to Nor Cackalacky in haste. These mills do everything I want from a manual mill. Someone would be well advised to go look at it if they need or want a solid machine.

I had the same one. In fact I have the 220 motor and also the box with all the electrical wiring and fuses if you are interested in them.

That appears to require a 440v input. Step-up transformers from 220 3Ph to 440 3Ph are less common and are typically going to by much more.

The other factor that plays into this is that I need room for some other equipment I am bring in. Got a lathe coming and a neighbor is going to give me a nice brake and a big press so I need to make room anyway. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I'm pretty sure there's no difference between a step up and step down transformer. If there is some sort of fancy current monitoring or protective logic, i guess there could be a difference but for a simple transformer, no difference.

I'm pretty sure there's no difference between a step up and step down transformer. If there is some sort of fancy current monitoring or protective logic, i guess there could be a difference but for a simple transformer, no difference.

Hi, I'm new to the forum. I'm an IBEW journeyman wireman with about 15 years in the electrical trade. A transformer can be hooked up either way, step-up or step-down. It makes no difference.

I do know the physics behind transformers. 3 Phase transformers are a bit more involved however as you have to be conscious of the primary winding type (Delta or Wye) as well as if there is any supplementary circuitry involved. While some of the 220/440 transformers are configured for either step-up or down, they are going to be the more costly ones based on my research at least.

The other caveat I have for my situation that I did not mention is that I am obtaining my 220 3 phase using a rotary phase converter which adds another variable into the equation.

Thinking....

If I really needed 480 for a given machine, I think i would step up the single phase voltage and then build a high voltage phase converter sized for FLA on the motor. Best to be a somewhat oversized (at least 110%, better 150%) transformer to allow for de-rating due to backfeeding. Would also need high voltage rated components like caps for the RPC.

Reason for this configuration is that a pretty big single phase 480/240 trans can be had for reasonable cost if you are patient. Also seems simpler to me than re-wiring the entire machine.

Kinda annoying they didn't use dual voltage motors.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Drom68, What kinda dollars you looking at for that stuff?

Here is what I have, the panel box is missing the cover, I will look for it.

The motor appears to be a dual 440/220 3phase based on sharpy marking. I know it ran on 220 3phase as that is all I have. I ran it off a 3phase converter and never had any issues.

IMG_3987.jpgIMG_3985.jpgIMG_3984.jpgIMG_3983.jpg

I do know the physics behind transformers. 3 Phase transformers are a bit more involved however as you have to be conscious of the primary winding type (Delta or Wye) as well as if there is any supplementary circuitry involved. While some of the 220/440 transformers are configured for either step-up or down, they are going to be the more costly ones based on my research at least.

The other caveat I have for my situation that I did not mention is that I am obtaining my 220 3 phase using a rotary phase converter which adds another variable into the equation.

Not to belabor the point or appear argumentative, but either a delta or wye can be configured as either a step up or step down. Yes, you need to consider the voltages involved because as memory serves, the line to neutral voltage on a wye is a either reduced or increased (can't remember which) by a factor of 1.76 (sqrt(3)) from the line to line voltage of a delta with the same number of windings. The use of a rotary phase converter won't matter at all as long as the phase voltages are well matched. If they are not, then it's not a good phase converter. However, there is some studying involved to get things set up properly and then there is the matter of finding a convenient place to mount the transformer.. It may indeed be simpler just to find a dual voltage motor.

Back