What's new
What's new

Clausing 6300 lathe, repair project

John in MA

Titanium
I haven't been very active on PM recently. Everything's fine but I'm heading in a direction that doesn't allow for much heavy machinery restoration. Already have a small lathe so I figure I'll use what tinkering time I have to restore my shaper and mill.

Selling my Clausing 6300 12x36" lathe. It's a solid design with an enclosed oil-bath headstock and enclosed threading gearbox and apron. L00 spindle taper, full cabinet stand with variable-speed Reeves drive, somewhere around 800 pounds or so. See the page on Tony's site for more details. Mine's an earlier model that actually came with the "Atlas-Clausing" tags.

This particular one is a restoration project. The guy I got it from bought it off a shop machinist. After that, it sat around his garage until he tipped it over onto its face. Some of the controls were broken but I bought replacements for almost all of them. I tore the whole thing down to the screws with plans for a frame-off resto.

Condition: Has what seems to be average wear for the age. It was used a lot but maintained. I never tested it in operation. Headstock bearings feel on the rough side. As mentioned, some controls are broken but I have replacements. Paint is poor. Cabinet is dirty. Some minor feed bushings and bearings need replacing.

Status: Completely disassembled other than the headstock and apron/carriage. I haven't lost any parts so everything should still be there. I have a parts manual, but it's for a slightly newer variation. No tooling or accessories beyond the basic tailstock and compound set.

Needs to be picked up northeast of Boston, MA. Asking $400. Would consider trades for Atlas lathe/mill/shaper parts/accessories, nice bench grinders, quality mechanic's air tools, quality air guns (of the shooty type,) or high-grade hifi audio.

I don't have the time to part it out and ship, sorry. A normal pickup truck will handle everything. Bring a friend to help load.

Here's a photo of an identical model. Mine's too spread around to photograph, but it looks the same other than no start switch, chucks, or collet rig.

Clausing20Lathe.jpg

I haven't been very active on PM recently. Everything's fine but I'm heading in a direction that doesn't allow for much heavy machinery restoration. Already have a small lathe so I figure I'll use what tinkering time I have to restore my shaper and mill.

Selling my Clausing 6300 12x36" lathe. It's a solid design with an enclosed oil-bath headstock and enclosed threading gearbox and apron. L00 spindle taper, full cabinet stand with variable-speed Reeves drive, somewhere around 800 pounds or so. See the page on Tony's site for more details. Mine's an earlier model that actually came with the "Atlas-Clausing" tags.

This particular one is a restoration project. The guy I got it from bought it off a shop machinist. After that, it sat around his garage until he tipped it over onto its face. Some of the controls were broken but I bought replacements for almost all of them. I tore the whole thing down to the screws with plans for a frame-off resto.

Condition: Has what seems to be average wear for the age. It was used a lot but maintained. I never tested it in operation. Headstock bearings feel on the rough side. As mentioned, some controls are broken but I have replacements. Paint is poor. Cabinet is dirty. Some minor feed bushings and bearings need replacing.

Status: Completely disassembled other than the headstock and apron/carriage. I haven't lost any parts so everything should still be there. I have a parts manual, but it's for a slightly newer variation. No tooling or accessories beyond the basic tailstock and compound set.

Needs to be picked up northeast of Boston, MA. Asking $400. Would consider trades for Atlas lathe/mill/shaper parts/accessories, nice bench grinders, quality mechanic's air tools, quality air guns (of the shooty type,) or high-grade hifi audio.

I don't have the time to part it out and ship, sorry. A normal pickup truck will handle everything. Bring a friend to help load.

Here's a photo of an identical model. Mine's too spread around to photograph, but it looks the same other than no start switch, chucks, or collet rig.

Clausing20Lathe.jpg

John sent you a PM yesterday!!!!

If you were parting it out, I might give a shout as I'm in the middle of putting my 6329 back together. So far, I just missing the feed/threading chart, knock on wood. If I weer closer, I'd take it for sure at that price.

I'm with recoilless I could use the tail stock and all the gears ans stuff off the head stock. Wish we could get someone close to handle it I'd be glad to pay for there time.

Paul

Thanks, I don't want to part it out just yet. Looking for a quick sale for the whole thing.

Forgot to mention: The damaged controls have already been replaced with good ones. Just the rest needs putting back together.

Here are some pics with some of the assemblies bolted on for show. No rust to the machined surfaces, lots of brown oil/coolant patina. It was in daily use by the last owner to run it. The QC box is the only internal thing that's really apart, and that's because the bearings were gritty.

IMG_0690.jpg

IMG_0691.jpg

IMG_0692.jpg

IMG_0694.jpg

Hello ! My name is Mike, I am interested in your 6300 clausing, do you still have it ? I'm a member of the post now, so if you need to post your answer, please post it to me . My member name is Michael T.

Back