What's new
What's new

another Craigslist funny

Wow, that looks nice! Ready to go! All you have to do is clamp up some inserts in the tool holder and... Wait a minute...

Well, I guess you could use it for polishing long bars or tubes... :D

Here's another CL

Here's another one. The guy asks working lathe money for one that's missing the apron and leadscrew:

Lathe 14X40 "GAP" bed metal

But it does have a chuck key! See it sticking out of the chuck there?

My heart skips a beat when I see that, but I see it ads all the time. Sigh.

I don't want to put myself in the position of defending a dufous, but I'd be careful of jumping to conclusions if you are in that part of the country and are looking for a good small lathe. The seller's comments are odd in that they imply some degree of knowledge (who knows that a tumbler lever is?) and specificity. Maybe he's trying to pull the wool over some foolish buyer's eyes, or mabye the answer is equally simple, that the other stuff is lying somewhere out of the picture. I have found craigslist sellers in general to be breathtakingly stupid in their picture taking ability.

What makes this worth more investigation for someone who wants a lathe isn't the price, which is high, but the fact that those 11" Rockwells are really good little lathes. Hoggers? No way. But for light work, they are accurate and easy to use. Assuming, of course, that the lathe has a carriage, leadscrew and the associated parts...

Steve

Steve, I hear you. If I were looking for a lathe in that size range, I would probably give a call to ask about the carriage and lead screw. Still, to acknowledge some missing parts but not say anything about the obviously missing elephant sure made me chuckle! :)

Here's one:

Spa Panel Electric Box

This is MIDWEST ELectric spa panel disconnect box. This is used for the outdoor electrical connection to your hot tub. They are REQUIRED BY CODE.. This is versatile and allows several breakers to be installed depdning on your system requirements. This has never been used.. i bought for my old house and I moved before ever installing it. Anyways, They run around $99-129 for these boxes at Lowes or Home Depot. I was told by someone online that this is suppose to includes to circuit breaker, but i d not have it. It must have got lost, therefore I reduced the price to reflect missing breaker..

"by someone online" was me, over a year ago. The seller has been attempting to sell an empty load center for more than retail for over a year.

empty spa panel.jpg

And then there is this one, not quite sure what the guy means by "Heavy duty machine in good shape, No need to waste time and money looking for all the pices and parts to make a complete machine. This machine will not need to be moved right away."

lathe, large heavy duty

Bernard

my school has one of these lathes in the shop, first lathe i learned how to use. not too bad of a machine, has flat ways in the front instead of parobolic (sp?) but overall inst too bad. looks like it was just refinished so maybe the carriage is just out of the picture?

And then there is this one, not quite sure what the guy means by "Heavy duty machine in good shape, No need to waste time and money looking for all the pices and parts to make a complete machine. This machine will not need to be moved right away."

lathe, large heavy duty

Bernard

Actually, that post has some value because of the picture of the repurposed LeBlond stedy rest. The milling out of the vee way and inserting a new piece for the proper spacing could be used to adapt steadys to orphan machines.

Years ago an instructor walked into my flight school classroom, wrote his name on the chalkboard along with the letters, “R.T.F.Q”, and stated, “Gentlemen, I'm John Doe, and my job is to prepare you to take the FAA commercial pilot's license written test. Do you have any questions?”

“Yessir”, another student finally asked, “what does R.T.F.Q mean?”

The instructor smiled and replied, “The FAA routinely surveys the results of these tests and finds there are errors of interpretation that are commonly made. They sometimes employ these common errors as possible selections in the multiple choice questions. So my advice to you is to carefully R.T.F.Q., Read The Fxxxing Question, before you choose an answer.”

R.T.F.Q., guys. The ad plainly states, “It has the quick change gear box and lead screw and cross slide not shown in this pic”. Don't think I'd arbitrarily give up on this one until I saw it (provided doing so was convenient). I've bought a number of good items from ads that were ambiguously worded or poorly photographed.

~TW~

The ad plainly states, “It has the quick change gear box and lead screw and cross slide not shown in this pic”. Don't think I'd arbitrarily give up on this one until I saw it (provided doing so was convenient). I've bought a number of good items from ads that were ambiguously worded or poorly photographed.

~TW~

Where the hell does it say that? Did I miss something?

" Rockwell 11" metal lathe. 3 phase with phase inverter to run on 220. Bed shows no sign of wear. Flame hardened ways made in 1969. 3 jaw chuck and tailstock. Lathe is missing two gears and both tumbler levers for quick change gear box. WILL SELL OR TRADE FOR 1500.00"

Bernard

Bernard,

When I open the link in the original post entitled, Rockwell 11" Metal Lathe, here's what I get:

Rockwell 11" metal lathe. 3 phase with phase inverter to run on 220. Bed shows no sign of wear. Flame hardened ways made in 1969. 3 jaw chuck and tailstock. Lathe is missing two end gears and both tumbler levers for quick change gear box. It has the quick change gear box and lead screw and cross slide not shown in this pic. WILL SELL OR TRADE FOR 1500.00

~TW~

Interesting - both the ad and the picture have been changed since I started this thread. As Bernard notes, the original text said nothing about lead screw, slide, or qcgb.

Your mistake is understandable, Tommy, but it might be good to add another acronym: D. A. W. S. :)

Interesting - both the ad and the picture have been changed since I started this thread. As Bernard notes, the original text said nothing about lead screw, slide, or qcgb.

Your mistake is understandable, Tommy, but it might be good to add another acronym: D. A. W. S. :)

Being unfamiliar with that term, and hesitant to set myself up for further chagrin by asking its meaning, I think it best to say, "touche", and keep further smart-ass anecdotes to myself.

~TW~

R.T.F.Q., guys. The ad plainly states, “It has the quick change gear box and lead screw and cross slide not shown in this pic”. Don't think I'd arbitrarily give up on this one until I saw it (provided doing so was convenient). I've bought a number of good items from ads that were ambiguously worded or poorly photographed.
Nonethess it indicates the seller is a complete moron for doing a Rustoleum Rebuild and then being so lame as to not include the aformentioned items on the lathe in the photo. Which would also mean his accessment of the machines condition is utterly meaningless.

Bernard

I assume he means that his lathe is complete, so buy this one, rather than someone else's and have to waste time and money finding missing pieces and accessories.

Being unfamiliar with that term, and hesitant to set myself up for further chagrin by asking its meaning, I think it best to say, "touche", and keep further smart-ass anecdotes to myself.

~TW~

I made up the acronym -- Don't Assume We're Stupid -- and I said it with a smile. :) I've been caught out a couple of times thinking folks on this board had missed something really obvious, only to discover that there was a good reason -- either an ad had been changed, like this one, or there was more to the story that they already knew, or so on. Since then I've tried to live by the DAWS rule! :) I may still call attention to something that seems obviously overlooked, by I try to phrase it as a question.

No offense meant, and it is clear that you took no offense. And your original point IS well taken -- from time to time, someone jumps in to a thread that has been going a while, who clearly has not bothered to read the original question or some of the posts in between.

Back