Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: FS Clark Forklift Very Cool!!! And Cheap!!!

Machinery_E is offline Stainless

Thanks Z!

Mil, Thank you!!! Wow on the weight, I do have a tendency to underestimate things.

I remember one (A Clipper) that was at an auction that was blue with white racing strips-it was a really nice original one.

Sam Savage is offline Plastic

Good morning. What's the lift height, and the overalll length and width less forks? Thanks.

Machinery_E is offline Stainless

Forklift is no longer available, thanks for the interest!

snowman is offline Diamond

Quote Originally Posted by Milacron View Post
    And to continue in the "weird, absolutely worthless information department"....The smaller version of this truck was called the "Clipper" but was only 2,000 lb capacity. Go back further in time however and the original Clipper was only 1,000 lb capacity and the seat was like a steel tractor seat with no back....no "hair padding" or "black duck"..oh the humanity !
    Not entirely useless. A friend has a small clark that he says will fit through a bedroom doorway. I think this is pretty much the only option. I've been trying to figure it out most of the day (he didn't have the model number or a picture).

SVE Performance is online now Cast Iron

A older Clark that will fit through a doorway would be a Truckloader . Bill

Ox
    Ox is offline Diamond

I used to store crankshafts in an unused 2nd story bedroom before I had kids, but never found a need for a 2000# forktruck in there.

???

-----------------------

I am Ox and I approve thia h'yah post!

trevj is offline Stainless

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Not entirely useless. A friend has a small clark that he says will fit through a bedroom doorway. I think this is pretty much the only option. I've been trying to figure it out most of the day (he didn't have the model number or a picture).
    I really think that a better plan is to stay away from the girls that need to be carried into the bedroom with a forklift, no?

Cheers
    Trev

dwlee6vn is offline Plastic

Took the plunge and bought an old Clark forklift. Need help with identification and a few questions. Photos attached. Looks like a “Carloader” from comparison to photos in this thread.

Has 4 cylinder flathead? gas engine looks like original paint on engine is medium blue. Seems to run well.
    Seller said it was 3500 lb capacity, but don’t think they knew anything about forklifts beyond what who they bought it from told them.
    I worked as a ASE certified auto tech for a few years back in the 70’s and have pretty good mechanical knowledge overhauling engines, transmissions, machinery, electric motors etc., but this is my first forklift.

Questions:
    SERIAL NUMBER LOCATION FOR ID
    I read somewhere serial number was on frame, someone posted was :”under battery” which looks to be in original carrier on right side inside the access door. Took out battery and took a quick look, did not find anything under the accumulated crud in that area. Before I scrape too much, am I looking in the correct place?

BRAKES
    When I got it home, the brake pedal did nothing – went to floorboard with no resistance or braking action. Looked in master cylinder and it was about ˝ full of fluid. That was yesterday. Today I went out in garage and pumped the brake pedal a bunch of times, and now it has resistance, firm not spongy near the top of it’s travel. Did not have room or time to start it up and move it, but I could hear something moving inside the right front wheel when I pressed on the brake pedal and I put the machine in neutral and rocked it fore and aft a little with a 2x4 and pressing the brake pedal stopped me being able to rock it, so maybe the brakes do work? I’m not one for fixing it if it ain’t broke so will add some brake fluid and try things out when I get some time. Any ideas on why no pedal yesterday, OK today?

HYDRAULIC OIL MILKY COLOR
    The oil in the hydraulic tank which is in front of the motor, sort of under the front of the seat looks milky. Photo attached shows a bit of it running down the outside of the tank that dripped off a dipstick I stuck in to check the level. Any idea why it is this color? How high in the tank is the level supposed to be, and what oil to use? Can I get the 5 gallon pail of tractor hydraulic fluid/trans fluid and use that? How about automotive automatic transmission fluid? The lift seems to work OK and it has no major leaks, the lift cylinder area especially is dry. The little bit it does leak somewhere leaves a few drips on the floor at right front of the machine, maybe a few inches overnight. The radiator coolant looks clear light green like someone did use an antifreeze mix in it, so there does not appear to be comingling of coolant, though I don’t even think these systems are interconnected anywhere.

ENGINE OIL DIPSTICK
    Where is the engine oil dipstick and any idea how much oil goes in the motor and oil filter part numbers?

STEERING
    The unit has about 1/3 of a turn free play in the steering. Have not looked underneath to see where the play is – probably stack up of all linkages and box. Is this “normal” for a machine this age? Any suggestions where to look first?
    forkclfrt.jpgAttachment 53501Attachment 53502Attachment 53503clark-engine.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails clark-right-rear.jpg   clark-steering.jpg   clark-hyd-oil.jpg  
    Last edited by dwlee6vn; 06-10-2012 at 11:21 AM. Reason: update photos

dwlee6vn is offline Plastic

Thanks to all who responded with info on my forklift. I found the serial number which was stamped on the outside of the right side “frame”” the big ˝” plate slab side of the machine near the floorboard intersection. I contacted Clark equipment and they sent me a brochure on the machine a 1955 model year Carloader 4024 it turns out to be. 4000 lift capacity with curb weight 6800 pounds. It is a 1 mb file so don’t think can attach but if anyone wants it PM me. They also sent the original build card with all the part numbers in the machine and the name of the original dealer and purchaser which was pretty neat. When I get time I am going to flush/change the brake fluid and the hydraulic oil. The Clark literature says there is an electric parking brake actuator/lock for the hydraulic brakes as one poster mentioned but that button if there was one is gone from my “instrument panel”. Will check that out someday when I get time.
    Clarky likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12