What's new
What's new

FS Hendey tool and gage lathe

duckman

Hot Rolled
Got this lathe then life got in the way, it needs to go :( Hendey 9" X 24" serial #36434, factory taper attachment,I've tried getting the gunk off of it, got some of the paint clean, ways look real good, has a motor generator set in the base that drives a DC motor that powers the spindle which has belt and gear drive, quick change gear box, also will throw in a brand new D1-3 chuck backing plate.
Asking $1,600.00 picked up in north central Mass. weighs approximately 3,000# real heavy piece of iron
Reply to tmccune4 at gmail dot com thanks for looking.

Duckman,PLEASE!!!!! POST!!!!! IMAGES!!! I'd love to see that lathe. Can you load it on a truck?

I just read about it on Tony's site. A beautiful machine. Tony's write up says it's a D4 spindle. Is he wrong?

These are wonderful lathes.
I have one from the first year of production circa 1939.
A pleasure to use- a rigid, fine finishing machine with the balls to remove metal.
Mine is PIV driven two back gear, quick change- dog clutch with both belt and geared feeds to allow a multitude of threads with ease.
D1-4 /morse #5 collet nose

Hendeyt.jpg

Tr: You are very fortunate indeed to have that!! I wish duckman was closer. I met him at Cabin Fever a few years ago on another deal.

Thanks- I stumbled across mine (though drove to CT to get it), and feel fortunate to have it.

A fairly rare lathe and well worth a long trip to pick one up.
Mine buffed up a bit and ready to use in the shop:

hendeyfixed.jpg

One thing of note for the Hendey's is the dog clutch.
The first thread I ever turned on a lathe was a 9/16" LH inside double start Acme- the Hendey T&G made the work easy.
A great lathe

Photos Duckman??

These swing 10.5" over the bed- I don't remember what it has over the compound.

In UK Lathes description they take the 2nd generation post 1946 T&G as the animal though feature in the photos of the light blue T&G as originally sold.

They started as '9x18' lathes with a PIV based clutch/multi sheave drive.

Mine is a hoot with the lever clutch and brake pedal.
The round can on front adjusts the PIV to provide full variable speed which is in turn worked through the belt/two back gear spindle with geared and half advance belted feeds.

I set mine up with a A size Multifix which suits the lathe perfectly.

Edit- oh yes 1.5" through the spindle.
Take that 10EE.....

Last edited:
Duckman,PLEASE!!!!! POST!!!!! IMAGES!!! I'd love to see that lathe. Can you load it on a truck?

I just read about it on Tony's site. A beautiful machine. Tony's write up says it's a D4 spindle. Is he wrong?

Trboatworks and I can personally attest that D1-4 is correct.

That, and four inches more daylight longitudinally, (24" vs 20") can make even a 'standard bed' 10EE vassal a tiny bit jealous.

Or the 10EE's somewhat greater swing, the reverse.

OTOH, TR and I are close enough by road that we could cover his odd need need of another inch or so on swing, or my rare one for another inch or four on length.

"swings and roundabouts" as it were...

:)

The rare Rivett 1020/1030 might objectively be the best of the three. But I did say 'rare',

On average? There ain't really enough difference between and among those three Grand-Olds to much matter. Even the rebuild of their drive systems is much the same as to cost and time.

Hopefully this one has already matched-up with a new minder - or soon will - who can appreciate all that.

Bill

This has a D1-3 absolutely positive because I had bought a brand new chuck backing plate for the lathe, mounted it and checked the register with my .0001 dial indicator no movement of the needle. Will try to post pictures Tuesday.

This has a D1-3 absolutely positive because I had bought a brand new chuck backing plate for the lathe, mounted it and checked the register with my .0001 dial indicator no movement of the needle. Will try to post pictures Tuesday.

That is really interesting, and I would love to see a picture.
I have the Hendey drawing for the spindle and "the standard" is definitely D1-4.
It could easily be that Hendey built a special for someone.

Looking Forward to the pictures

Pete

Back