Exclamation Machine to make Lead Pellets for Shotgun Shells

im looking for a machine capable of high volume production of lead pellets, from 00 to 10 1/2

Cyclotronguy is offline Hot Rolled

The traditional tool, if you can call it that is a "Shot-Tower" makes shot as fast as you can pour hot metal. Actually the limiting factor is usually how fast you can get the cooled shot out of the tower.

Tom1 is offline Stainless

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclotronguy View Post
    The traditional tool, if you can call it that is a "Shot-Tower" makes shot as fast as you can pour hot metal. Actually the limiting factor is usually how fast you can get the cooled shot out of the tower.

Thats been out of date for a looong time

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...5052313AAevluy

deltaenterprizes is offline Hot Rolled

Try doing a google search for littleton shotmaker.

SMM
    SMM is offline Aluminum

I just can't resist posting a reply on this one. I work for Winchester and the shot tower method is used exclusively on all lead shotshell loads. "Cyclotroneguy" is absolutely right on; removal from the shot well is the limiting factor. Yahoo is in the 21st century; in reality traditional American manufacturing is full of 20th and even 19th century technology.

Happy Turkey Day
    Steve

Tom1 is offline Stainless

Steve, you guys have an actual shot tower? A real tall building kind with screens to drop the molten lead through? I know a bunch of them are either gone or soon to be such as the Peters tower (gone) and the Remington tower in Bridgeport CT (25 miles up the road). (Might be gone soon)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shot_tower

Everything I have read says that this went out a long time ago and went with the short drop over forced air type then to the hot liquid roll then to die formed. Id love to see a picture of the operation, Id bet its quite interesting.

Heres some photos of the old Remington tower in B-port. I dont know who took them but they are cool pictures

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://farm1.static.flickr.com/25/100559913_fa8ea747f3.jpg%3Fv%3D0&imgrefurl=http://flickr.com/photos/robdobi/100559913/&usg=__LwCJFzSHho94DDkg2SOgD6a6q-E=&h=500&w=382&sz=97&hl=en&start=8&um=1&tbnid=cruy qrRV33WqIM:&tbnh=130&tbnw=99&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dremington%2Btower%2Bbridgeport%26hl%3 Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26channel%3Ds%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-USfficial%26sa%3DN%26um%3D1

Quote Originally Posted by SMM View Post
    I just can't resist posting a reply on this one. I work for Winchester and the shot tower method is used exclusively on all lead shotshell loads. "Cyclotroneguy" is absolutely right on; removal from the shot well is the limiting factor. Yahoo is in the 21st century; in reality traditional American manufacturing is full of 20th and even 19th century technology.

Happy Turkey Day
    Steve
    thanks for posting steve ! im looking for someone who can actually build a shot tower, or buy one. or someone who manufactures or sells a large capacity bliemeister method machine

i know that federal cartridge uses bliemeister method for 9 to 4 sizes, (shot size 2 and larger are swaged) and utilizes a machine made by Walther H. Collin GmbH. however the page www.collin.de is out of service. anybody knows another manufacturer ?

tony

Caspian is offline Hot Rolled

I toured Winchester about 6-7 years ago in Alton, IL and they had a shot tower. as i remember it was pretty tall. We didn't go inside, so i don't know the specs. I just remember that they did have a shot tower fairly recently.

yahoo answers and Wiki "facts" should be used with a grain of salt.

Caspian

GeneT is offline Cast Iron

Yahoo answers is probably the least accurate source of information on the web.

What's "high volume"?

I've done shot production on the order of maybe a hundred pounds a day - high volume for personal use or boutique shops, but nothing for large-scale commercial applications.

Don't forget sorting...

GsT

Ghost is offline Cast Iron

From what I understand the small "at home" (littleton, etc) machines require lots of "tinkering" and babysitting to keep them running right. I'd imagine lots of headaches with a large scale machine.

Empireweld is offline Aluminum

A friend of mine has a littleton, I built a tank and receiving tank that has weir wall to maintain
    the coolant at the correct level. The coolant circulates from a five gallon bucket with a little giant pump. It makes a lot of shot in a short time.

by high volume i mean large scale.

1,000 pounds per day at least