What's new
What's new

Monarch EE lathe for sale

a r t

Plastic
Monarch 10x20 lathe in good working condition available for sale - the unit is too big for our needs and we need the space.
Built in 1962 with tube controller (and spare tubes included), variable speed and all speeds operate as they should.
Bison chuck in great shape also included.
Located just outside Boston in Woburn, MA.
Looking for $2500 OBO
PM for more info

Art

IMG_0177.JPG

IMG_0177.jpgIMG_0349.jpgIMG_0368.jpg

Art, I'm interested. Could you send me the pictures and a number to call to talk to you about it? Send it to my PM address here. thanks!

I just bought a late model Toolroom Pacemaker and an HLV-H I'm still moving them in, so I'm a little short on cash to be buying more machine toys, but by this summer I'd be a buyer for certain! ( I was looking for a double E when I found my Pacemaker)

I'm not sure, but it looks like there might be a ridge on the v-ways in these pictures. Can it be? I am shopping around for one of these and want to know where to look for wear.

In this picture, look right under the center of the tail stock and forward (it appears to disappear toward the rear of the bed):
IMG_0396.JPG

In this picture, look at the rear of the front v-way. You can see a half inch of it between the carriage and the tailstock:
IMG_0404.JPG

Oddly, there are no pictures of the front of the bedways near the chuck. Do these areas look like wear? Is that where it shows up on the v-ways on the 10EEs? Can these machines still do accurate work with noticeable wear on the ways?

The area where signs of way wear will usually first appear will be on the inside front V-way, up near the headstock. The area you pointed out will likely never be a wear area (of concern), usually. The telltales you are pointing out may be wear, or more likely just swarf-smear, oil, etc. Of course you never know till you see in person.

Even if the ways are worn. if you calculate the drop in height due to to way wear, its actually generally very small & insignificant... usually.

There are lathes that have spent most of their lives with the carriage near the tailstock which are more worn there than near the chuck. Rare, but not unheard of. I have also seen photos that appear to show wear when there really is none and vice versa. Seeing the machine in person is definitely key, as you said.

So, let's' say that this lathe, for the sake of argument, was operated with the carriage near the tailstock most of the time. The second photo I posted could be showing wear, right? That is the inside of the front v-way.

Back