What's new
What's new

OT: ebay funny of the day, $12k pexto stomp shear

I'm sure he had a good time with his artist brush and yellow paint doing the raised letters. Or maybe it was torture and he wants to get proper monetary compensation.

WTH is a "tennsmith"?

No doubt the 14 watchers are from this thread- people who are curious if there exists a buyer who has the conflicting qualities of knowing what a stomp shear is, while having no idea what machines cost.

Yeah, but you guys will be envious if you check the ad in 16 days and it shows "Sold".

Never underestimate the purchasing power of some folks out there that ain't real bright.

Steve

Yeah, but you guys will be envious if you check the ad in 16 days and it shows "Sold".

Never underestimate the purchasing power of some folks out there that ain't real bright.
As a dealer I never cease to be amazed when some says what you just said. It simply isn't going to happen, no way, no how.

For one thing people that "ain't real bright" usually don't have any money. The few that do, are unlikely to be doing sheet metal work for a hobby....but even if by some miracle they did, they would simply buy new...not used.

Maybe not that much for this item but I've been at auctions where decent used stuff went for more than it costs new and stuff that wasn't that decent went for prices that left me shaking my head. I'd be willing to bet you've seen that too.

Still you have to admit it's a nice paint job. There isn't even any over spray on the pallet. :D

Steve

There are folks that hsve lots of money from lotto or who knows what but like all of us have little time.

There could be a person who retired from some syupid high paying job wishing to setup a hobby shop in a short time and to them this is a pittance...

Seen retired folks spend too much on things like lathes because time much shorter than funds...

Maybe not that much for this item but I've been at auctions where decent used stuff went for more than it costs new and stuff that wasn't that decent went for prices that left me shaking my head. I'd be willing to bet you've seen that too.
Yes I have seen that on occasion.....but nearly always on items under $1,000....a whole 'nuther ballgame from this shear...both the dollar amount and the insanity of the price is way worse than paying $600 for a like new Kurt vise that could be bought for $550 new. Plus this isn't a "split second decision, caught up in the moment" sort of auction like a live auction would be. That shear selling for even HALF that price just isn't going to happen.

There are folks that hsve lots of money from lotto or who knows what but like all of us have little time.

There could be a person who retired from some syupid high paying job wishing to setup a hobby shop in a short time and to them this is a pittance...

Seen retired folks spend too much on things like lathes because time much shorter than funds...
Maybe but not THIS MUCH too much. The lotto winners aren't paying attention to this sort of thing...they just buy new....or go on a lot of vacations. I don't know why it is some of you like to fantasize there are rich stupid people out there paying way to much for machine tools. They might pay too much for diamonds or oil paintings...but not machine tools...not this much too much anyway.

I suspect the owner really doesnt care to sell it, maybe one of those cases where he bought the shear then told his wife it was worth $25k so she'd get off his back, only to have her get pissed anyway. He then "tried" to sell it but....insert lame excuse here.

As a dealer I never cease to be amazed when some says what you just said. It simply isn't going to happen, no way, no how.

For one thing people that "ain't real bright" usually don't have any money. The few that do, are unlikely to be doing sheet metal work for a hobby....but even if by some miracle they did, they would simply buy new...not used.

Geez, Mila. Always gotta kill a guy's dreams with your experience laden reality don't you? :)

The thing is Roper Whitney still makes that shear. It would be interesting to know the new price, but my guess is $3-4K since you can get an import shear for half that.

Well, maybe you can still buy it new, but this one has EXPERIENCE. Worth way more in a machine shop ;-)

Back