What's new
What's new

Small automatic CNC horizontal bandsaws for sale. Two very late pristine ones

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
From me, on eBay...

Waytrain LX 250 CNC Automatic Bandsaw Made in Taiwan 2012 Model | eBay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jet-AB-1012...ultDomain_0&hash=item2ecf23d5c0#ht_291wt_1105

The LX250 NC is shown on below Waytrain website. As is the Jet version, which is the LX250AE on the Waytrain site. Pretty much the same saw except the NC has linear scale fo shuttle and color touchscreen and the AE has monochrome screen (blue and white) and rotary encoder on rack and pinion for shuttle control and measurement.

The Jet comes with more stuff...a hydraulic bundling attachment and six foot extension table, plus has more "name recognition" and easier access to future parts, thus the higher price...even though the NC model is a slightly nicer saw, having straight linear scale, color monitor, and an extra guard piece at the rear.

Auto Bandsaw 10"(250)~13"(330) -WAY TRAIN INDUSTRIES CO., LTD.- Auto Bandsaw Manufacturer in Taiwan

kinda sounds like a double dare to me...
That jet is bigger than anything i would need right now, but im always curious how JET equipment holds up. Actually i wonder the same for most of the equipment you see in the big books.

Just trying to be helpful. I sell a saw now and again, nothing like this, but the most asked questions 1. capacity 2. swivel head 3. blade size.

Just trying to be helpful. I sell a saw now and again, nothing like this, but the most asked questions 1. capacity 2. swivel head 3. blade size.
OK, thanks. I figured anyone interested would just Google the Jet saw since there are a gazillion dealers advertising that model new, but I went ahead and copy/pasted the info in for both saws. Had to be careful to remove the bundle attachment and 6.5 foot roller table options from the Waytrain ad. The bottom line is the Waytrain saw is actually the better of the two in the sense it has a linear glass scale for shuttle feedback and color touch screen, but is priced lower due to not having the bundle attachment and table.

OTOH, the color aspect of the touchscreen is kinda silly really...doesn't improve the operator experience one whit over the monochrome screen, and the encoder, rack and pinion on the Jet works exactly the same but perhaps a few thou not as accurate. It's actually a curiosity to me why Waytrain did glass scale vs rotary encoder as it seems like the glass (or magnetic or whatever it is) scale would be less expensive to do really. Maybe rotary encoders are free in Taiwan.

kinda sounds like a double dare to me...
That jet is bigger than anything i would need right now, but im always curious how JET equipment holds up. Actually i wonder the same for most of the equipment you see in the big books.
Aside from a little puny one that Pedrazoli sells, this is pretty much as small as automatic bandsaws get. Certainly as small as CNC automatics get.

As to how JET equipment holds up, seeing as JET makes nothing the answer is "it depends on who made the particular JET piece" JET sells everything from the crappiest Chinese tabletop lathe to the best Swedish (Arboga) and Spanish (Erlo) drill presses...all with the name "JET" plopped on the machine.

I have some experience with automatic bandsaws, having owned late model Amada's and Kasto's,, and these Waytrain saws are amazingly nicely made....beautiful machines. The Amada saw in this size range is now made in China and doesn't have many of the features of these saws (not CNC, no VFD drive, etc) Cosen saws are the most similar competition and may be made by Waytrain as well.

Btw, the electrics are mostly standard issue contactors and VFD... like Telemecanique or similar European make.

Was going to say looks eerily similar to a Cosen.
Yes....below is a photo I took of the most similar Cosen at a trade show in Greenville, SC some months ago. Notice the basic iron appears nearly identical, the control seems the same, but the box for the control is a little different shape and size, plus the sheet metal base is a little different on the Cosen. I've been told by a couple of importers that Waytrain also makes the Cosen's but if they do it must be to slight design changes that make the Cosen unique, whereas the JET is standard issue Waytrain LX-250AE with different paint* and stickers. Of some humor, the JET's main motor has a JET nameplate as well.

Does anyone know what the Cosen below cost ? I was thinking $21K or so ?

cosen1.jpg

*Speaking of paint, while the JET paint is quite good, the standard Waytrain paint is beautiful...every bit as good as Amada, if not better. Really, both machines are impressive designs. I do wish JET would get rid of those stupid "racing stripes" they conjured up what seems like decades ago now. Luckily, they peel off easily, but I'm leaving them just in case someone wants the full JET experience.

, and the $5k full stroke/double retracting vise option.
The what ?? Seeing as it is standard issue to have full stroke shuttle that will make multiple grabs soas to feed stock longer than the single stroke, I don't get what you mean there kemosabe... or do you really mean the bundle cutting attachment ? (if so I'm amazed that would be 5,000 bucks however)

Full stroke hydraulic clamping. No ratchet mechanism on the vises with a 1" travel cylinder. And the double acting is on the rear vise to clear the bar as the shuttle retracts.

Yeah, 5k seems a lot for this. But they were giving it away for free so who cares what the list price is.

Full stroke hydraulic clamping. No ratchet mechanism on the vises with a 1" travel cylinder. And the double acting is on the rear vise to clear the bar as the shuttle retracts.

Yeah, 5k seems a lot for this. But they were giving it away for free so who cares what the list price is.
Sounds to me like you were being fed a line of BS to make the saw seem more of a deal than it was. I don't recall ever seeing a fully automatic hydraulic shuttle bandsaw that did not have full stroke clamping. Not any modern ones anyway.

Notice in the photo below the two long hydraulic cylinders on my Waytrain saw. One for stationary vise, one for moving shuttle. Full stroke. Exactly the same on the JET. That's just standard issue stuff on modern automatic saws ...nothing optional about it.

I suppose it's possible Cosen used to import an El Cheapo auto saw version with ratchet vises but I doubt it.

$_3.JPG

Aside from a little puny one that Pedrazoli sells, this is pretty much as small as automatic bandsaws get. Certainly as small as CNC automatics get.
I should have said "as small as hydraulic shuttle vise" automatic bandsaws get. I tend to forget about the roller feed to limit switch type of automatics as they are so pitiful in comparison to a proper shuttle vise type. I suspect the little Pedrazoli uses pneumatics for their shuttle vise. Dake sells an optional shuttle vise table for one of their semi auto cold saws that one would think could be adapted to a semi automatic bandsaw. But the price is pretty high....probably with the saw, more than my prices on these two saws which are infinitely superior.

Sounds to me like you were being fed a line of BS to make the saw seem more of a deal than it was. (snip) I suppose it's possible Cosen used to import an El Cheapo auto saw version with ratchet vises but I doubt it.

Likely to be the case. Like 'options' on the average import car. Every one of them coming in the country has that 'option' on it. Take it or leave it.

Cosen did import saws with the ratchet vise. I ran one for years. It's still running at the shop I worked at and could take pictures of it at any time. I think we bought that one in 2005. It was a good saw, but I hated the rachet vise and a few other minor things.

Cosen did import saws with the ratchet vise. I ran one for years. It's still running at the shop I worked at and could take pictures of it at any time. I think we bought that one in 2005. It was a good saw, but I hated the rachet vise and a few other minor things.
You left out an important bit of information....was it a fully automatic or a semi automatic bandsaw ? Hydraulic ratchet vises are common on semi automatic, but not on automatic bandsaws.

If it did happen to be an automatic saw it seems odd to use ratchet vises as one would think there would be fewer parts and greater simplicity to use a full stroke hydraulic cylinder and be done with it. Hard to believe a longer hydraulic cylinder would cost all that much more.

Back