What's new
What's new

Solberga 24" geared head drill press -- Bay Area, Ca -- $995 plus optional tooling

I'm going to miss it. But square feet of shop space seem to be even harder for me to find than machine tools -- just don't have the room for two largish drill presses (the other is an undistinguished 20" but does what I need).

" . . . Sure hope the 'mill' he is makin' space for isn't one of those "Prong Yu" brand ones."

There are two small mills waiting for a convenient spot -- a Hardinge TM and a Millrite.

I built my shop next to my hillside home, 2 1/2 floors of shop and home office with only 800 square feet each. I work mostly on the bottom floor, which has a proper foundation, the back wall into the earth, and three sides clear. Everything drops down through a large trap door from the floor above. So, I tend to end up with smaller machines jockeying for prime space on the ground floor.

There is one of those Yuck Fu's (not too bad a Rong Fu, actually) tucked into another spot above a tooling cabinet. I'd swap it out for another bench mill with a power feed for boring, though, since the Solberga is currently my only machine with one.

Never used one but that looks like a beast of a drill press.
This Alzmetall AB40 is a little beastier... of course there are radial drills that would way outbeast the Alzmetall...

ab40-1.jpg

RE: Allzmetal --Looks like that photo is snapped just before the operator drives the 1.25" drill bit through the table at 85 RPM .040 IPR, with nary a shudder. ;-)

Back