What's new
What's new

Is there still a market for a decent Blanchard grinder?

bigais

Stainless
My friend sent me an email and pic of a Blanchard that looks in nice shape that a school is going to sell- looks to be a 36"? other than the moving logistics and inspecting for general condition - is the market still there? Thanks

More seriously, yes, there'll be people here interested in the machine. Transportation cost will be an issue for some, but if it's in good shape I expect it will get potential buyers.

These machines are size graded by wheel size not chuck.
So a 36 would have about a 60 inch chuck.
Market in these big guys is a bit limited.
One would not think a school would have one of these.

A 18-36 would be easier to sell as this is kind of the sweet spot in Blanchards. (18 inch wheel-36 inch chuck)
Small enough to move easily, big enough to handle a lot of work. This would be the workhorse machine in Blanchard grinders.
The equal to a standard B-port mill.
If a 36-60 or above, yes there is a market but you need to be able to wait a while to find a shop that wants one.
Bob

These machines are size graded by wheel size not chuck.
So a 36 would have about a 60 inch chuck.
Market in these big guys is a bit limited.
One would not think a school would have one of these.

A 18-36 would be easier to sell as this is kind of the sweet spot in Blanchards. (18 inch wheel-36 inch chuck)
Small enough to move easily, big enough to handle a lot of work. This would be the workhorse machine in Blanchard grinders.
The equal to a standard B-port mill.
If a 36-60 or above, yes there is a market but you need to be able to wait a while to find a shop that wants one.
Bob

Thanks Bob, After reading a note that was posted it said it is 21" CHUCK DIAMETER. I WILL CHECK THINGS CLOSER TOMORRROW AS THE BID CLOSES ON TUE. AND NEED TO GET MY ACT TOGETHER TO DETERMINE IF I WANT TO MOVE IT MORE THAN ONCE?

If I could get one for a couple of thousand I would buy one. The prices I have seen for totally clapped out beat down trash is crazy. The people in town who have one want a fortune to run parts on it. I can fly cut the crap or surface grind it for so much less than they want. I have decided to just keep surface grinding my tools till something lands on my head.

Might want to keep in mind that rotary table surface grinders pull quite a bit of power. Probably not going to run one on a rotary phase converter. Bigais, what is the horsepower and voltage requirements on that Blanchard?

JH

Might want to keep in mind that rotary table surface grinders pull quite a bit of power. Probably not going to run one on a rotary phase converter. Bigais, what is the horsepower and voltage requirements on that Blanchard?

JH

Hi James, I was told this is a Mod. 11 with a magnetic chuck and am waiting for a call back with the info you are asking for. Thanks

If I could get one for a couple of thousand I would buy one. The prices I have seen for totally clapped out beat down trash is crazy. The people in town who have one want a fortune to run parts on it. I can fly cut the crap or surface grind it for so much less than they want. I have decided to just keep surface grinding my tools till something lands on my head.

Not familiar with your area, but where I was at up north, the blanchard was a one of a kind machine. Meaning if you have never run one, or had the opportunity to have it on hand you don't know what you are missing! Curious as to why they would charge out the kazoo for the work, very easy to run. It was the one machine everybody in the shop got to have a turn at... Not to say they cant be dangerous if not handled properly, but is fairly easy to pick up. As to finding one for a couple gran, well I would guess the scrap price is more than that. We had a 40" chuck model, when it crapped out the boss man looked high and low to replace it, it was just that damn valuable to us. It sucked that few months we went without... ok my bits over (:

Hi James, I was told this is a Mod. 11 with a magnetic chuck and am waiting for a call back with the info you are asking for. Thanks

The info I got by phone is the unit is wired for 208 V. is a 15 Horse Motor and shows a 30 Amp draw in the manual. The wt. shows it is 6100# so it is one of the smaller u nits and the school has too limited use to justify the space.

No. 11 is a baby Blanchard....I've had a few of them in the past. One thing to look out for is the amount of material left on the magnet surface...if it's close to being used up a new magnet will cost more than the machine is worth. If magnet and all else good it will sell..one of the few manual machines, like centerless grinders, where there is no big advantage to the CNC versions.

wired for 208 V. is a 15 Horse Motor and shows a 30 Amp draw in the manual.
That amperage draw, if conventional "nameplate rating", is for 15HP at 415V. Expect twice that draw as wired. Specifically, NEC Handbook Table 430.250 (Full-Load Current, Three-Phase Alternating-Current Motors) says 46.2A for a 15HP motor at 208V, 42A at 230V, and 21A at 460V.

That amperage draw, if conventional "nameplate rating", is for 15HP at 415V. Expect twice that draw as wired. Specifically, NEC Handbook Table 430.250 (Full-Load Current, Three-Phase Alternating-Current Motors) says 46.2A for a 15HP motor at 208V, 42A at 230V, and 21A at 460V.

Thanks guys for the input - just found out they have to take out a wall to get it out as other construction after 1990 boxed the unit in and they are going to install a garage door to avoid future situations of this type.

No. 11 is a baby Blanchard....I've had a few of them in the past. One thing to look out for is the amount of material left on the magnet surface...if it's close to being used up a new magnet will cost more than the machine is worth......

And a 11-20 is the baby Blanchard.
Will bring more money than the more normal 11-16.
But as noted it is all about stock left on the chuck.
New the step on the outside of the chuck is 1/2".
At 1/8" the chuck is junk and a 20 will run $6000-$9000 to replace.
I've seen these machines go from $3000 to almost $10,000.
They do not wear out, age is not a problem. Chuck and control make the difference in sell price.
Your weight is about right, maybe a few hundred high.
Spindle is 15HP, chuck drive is 1 to 2 more (depending on year), 1/4-1/2 in the coolant pump, and 200-300 watts in the chuck mag.
They draw quite a hit when the spindle start is pushed as they have no slow start circuit.
Bob

I loved the Blanchard where I used to work. It had a 36" chuck as I remember. Awesome machine. Went for $8k at auction.

We frequently did work for others and ourselves. So I would say, yes, there is still a demand.

If you need it for your shop and your parts will fit on it the 36" is a good machine. I have to assume since it was/is at a school it is probably in decent shape. Most machines this size from a production shop are beat to crap.

If you are going to try and get business with it expect to see probably $20/$40 per hour and that's it. You are competing with many people who have the same size machine and are doing the grind work for nothing.

Once you get to 60" and larger then you can do bigger work that many others can't.

You will want to see what style segs it takes, if it is an older machine with the BL18 style chuck those kind of suck. Cortland is the best bet and segments are easy to get.

Here is a link from our website that shows what a late 70's Blanchard looks like once torn apart..........

https://www.knifemaker.com/news/knifemaker-news/microblade-installs-42-diameter-blanchard-grinder/

I have to assume since it was/is at a school it is probably in decent shape. Most machines this size from a production shop are beat to crap.
I've never seen a Blanchard at a school that was purchased new by the school...they were always donated to the school by a local industry. Thus "beat to crap" is still a possibility from a school Blanchard as well.

I've never seen a Blanchard at a school that was purchased new by the school...they were always donated to the school by a local industry. Thus "beat to crap" is still a possibility from a school Blanchard as well.

You are right- this one was donated in 1990 and worked well according to the instructor the little they used it. I planned to inspect it today as he informed me that loading could be a concern as the area where they are going to install a door goes out to a very narrow alley and other concerns to figure out? If the roads (very slippery now) don't clear up I will just let it alone.

Back