What's new
What's new

WTB a gear head lathe near savannah GA

Have brochure scan on the 12 speed - if needed just PM me your email address

On Edit:

Emailed and received

Last edited:
There is a Pratt Whitney for sale on Atlanta(East Point, Ga) craigslist for $2500. Don't know the seller or lathe, but we have one here with a 54" bed and it's a hell of a machine.

Good on 'ya LCC! Hope you find a real nice one. I have to say, that link JohnO just put in a reply makes me drool.

The seller has a LOT of various ads on craigslist, I clicked on the "more ads by this user" linky...still, that would be a sweet lathe to own...and I would try to negotiate on that if it was me in your shoes.

I'll be watching to see how your quest ends and/or what type of machine you end up with. Good luck!

Thanks for the help guys. I ended up getting a Rockwell 14 by 40 gear head today that came with lots of tooling. A different lathe all together than some posted but it fits my type of work- mostly smallish gun work. I am gonna still try to swing that Sidney as it would be a great tool at a nice price. Beautiful herringbone gears and all. Gotta play nice with the wifey this week.;)

Thanks for the help guys. I ended up getting a Rockwell 14 by 40 gear head today that came with lots of tooling. A different lathe all together than some posted but it fits my type of work- mostly smallish gun work. I am gonna still try to swing that Sidney as it would be a great tool at a nice price. Beautiful herringbone gears and all. Gotta play nice with the wifey this week.;)

Interesting choice, I had a friend with a Rockwell...reminds me of a South Bend pretty much...although it has some nice features and I believe a L00 spindle is one on the Rockwell. That would be huge over a threaded spindle, IMO.

If nobody shows interest in the Sydney, could go for a song, IMO. That looks like it could be a great machine also...if it was me I would have tried to swing the Pratt Whitney...that looks like a real gem, hard to tell by the pics though. Doesn't look like it was worked to death though...short of that I would be after the Sydney at the right price...with the right tooling the Rockwell could be a real good machine for your needs also. I would think that one lathe would do and can't imagine either not being able to do gunsmith work with the proper tooling. Tooling is king at the end of the day...so no matter what you end up with, spend a bit of time creating the proper tooling and life will be grand!

Cheers,
Alan

I asked the seller for pics of the interior. Ii looked like the lathe was barely ever used. Given its CO location, wonder if it came from that dealer in UT that used to always have new in crate govt surplus machines that the govt mothballed for use in a war emergency.

And then cut them up with a torch to destroy it so that no personal gains can be made from the loss, or sold for scrap price to some lucky surplus dealer...

That sure was a beautiful Sydney!

Back