What's new
What's new

WTB Standard Modern 11" or 13" lathe

Adamchow999

Plastic
Hi all,

I am looking to buy a Standard Modern lathe in either 11" or 13" in good-excellent condition. I am located in Mississauga Ontario and am looking for a machine within driving distance.

Thanks, Adam

there has been about 15 to 20 13" Standard Modern lathes sold in Edmonton in the last 8 months or so. They were out of the local Technical College. Maybe watch Kigigi.

Thanks for the replies.

I've updated my location. Sweet looking 14". Unfortunately probably a bit too big to haul into my basement workshop.

I went to see the HH Roberts machines. They are asking $3500 for the 13"x34" and $3200 for the 11" x 30", no tooling other than a 3jaw chuck. Machine came out of George brown college. Looked in good condition but a few issues with each one, ie stiff wheels, missing shear pins etc.

I'm planning to check out the Ford Machinery lathes in the next few days.

Happy New Years,

Adam

I had a SM 13x34 for several years. They are great lathes. The shear pin issue is common - I replaced mine once when it sheared for no apparent reason other than old age. I sold it to a friend and later, he had the same issue. If you get the lathe, just make or buy several taper pins and keep them on hand.

I went to see the HH Roberts machines. They are asking $3500 for the 13"x34" and $3200 for the 11" x 30", no tooling other than a 3jaw chuck. Machine came out of George brown college. Looked in good condition but a few issues with each one, ie stiff wheels, missing shear pins etc.

wow, I'd expect to get one fully loaded for that much. Pass on them and watch kijiji....SM's pop up there all the time

$ 3500 is cheap for a good SM lathe - Interplant Sales here in MSP always bids on surplus SM lathes because they are good machines that always sell well - the last time I checked their web site, they had several SM lathes. Around here, plan on about $5000-6000 for a good SM lathe.

Back