What's new
What's new

PS95 More machine than I can handle?

ReistPrecision

Plastic
The shop I work for is looking to upgrade from all conversational/DXF converter machines to a VMC. Since I am the only one in the shop who has any experience with programming it is my task to find the best machine for the job. We are a job shop that is looking to edge our way toward some low to mid range production runs. We work with aluminum, copper, every kind of stainless and mild steel. On occasion we will do some exotics.

In the reading I have done on this forum, the consensus seams to be that Makino is the way to go. From the production standpoint it certainly makes sense. My focus is to buy a machine that can be utilized in a job shop setting for years to come if the production work doesnt find its way through our doors. I am currently shopping for CAM to program whatever machine we choose and like what i see in SolidCam. I will be the only person in the company programming and operating this machine. Am I getting in over my head with too much machine right off the bat? The company I work for is well established and is anticipating a learning curve with whatever steps I decide.

I am looking for some insight from ps95 owners that run multiple programs/setups a day.

My reasons for wanting a Makino over other brands

1) truth in advertising (The Haas vs.Makino thread was kind of a shock to me)
2) When I met with the Haas dealer he stacked Haas up against every kind of machine except Makino
3) Spindle Speed 14,000 is a nice round number
4) ACC & DEC
5) options come standard

feel free to add your reasons to my list or try and correct my thinking on things you disagree with.

imho, and I am gonna get some funny looks for saying this, but here goes anyway.

1. If you plan on trading up at set intervals even a Haas can be a good machine
2. Your work has more to do with the machine maker you choose than anything else
3. If you are working successfully on bed mill/ knee mill type cnc then any vmc will likely do better, even a haas
4. Makino makes nice stuff but anyone can go out of business over the life of a machine tool

Bottom line if you can produce acceptable parts on a bridgeport made in 1959 then you don't need +/-2 microns....
The service available if you don't plan to do all repairs yourself plays a big role

sometimes all you need is a haas, especially a 1 shift a day operation. If you plan on running a production part you currently run other ways then all selection criteria changes but the least expensive machine that will run your parts reliably may be the best bet.

I was in your shoes in 1996. Haas was the newcomer but I went with Cincinnati Milacron vmc... guess who's more or less out of business now? I would have never thought it in 1996.

The decision is yours, is your company the "trade it when it becomes trouble" type or the "we bought one 64 years ago and it just sits there now because its broken" type?

My employer has 3 PS95s and 5 on order. They are good machines for shorter production runs and will be our platform machine for such. The spindles seem to be just about right for a wide mix of parts. Plenty of HP for large drills, deep cuts in aluminum, ect. but will wind up to the high end fast for small cutters and sustain the high range without rattleing. These are just good basic production machines. The spindles are basically the same as the A51 horizantal spindles. Tool changers work well also.

I don't think it would be any bigger jump to a PS95 than it would be to a Haas VMC. Honestly, that's a wash.

I would get with your Makino rep and talk things over. There are many options that aren't found on their web page for the PS95s and I have seen the cost of these greatly exagerated on this fourm. I can also atest to the top rate service we get from Makino. Sometimes that varies by location but it is good in our area. We haven't had any issues with our PS95s yet, but I'm speaking from experiance on our horizontals.

You can investigate the history of both companies and draw your own conclutions there. Also, it's not hard to get a general feel for customer satisfaction from web pages and youtube. I'm not going to dis Haas, people earn a living with them too. You will be able to weigh everything once you have talked to both dealers and make the choice that's right for you.

Back