Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Like Tree81Likes

Thread: article: It's Not the Wages Stupid

smalltime is offline Stainless

Quote Originally Posted by John Welden View Post
    When have conservatives ever shrunk government? Not in my lifetime..
    Conservatives have never been in the power positions except for Ronaldus Magnus, but he grew government to defeat the ruskies.....which he did. I do wish that it had shrunk back down after that.But he had to work with a liberal congress.

Something must be wrong here, the most fiscally responsible president who actually shrank government spending more as a percentage of GDP than anyone since Nixon in his first term was a "liberal" Democrat named Clinton.
    That's a nice fairy tale.

There were two reasons Bill "balanced" the budget.

#1 He was required to work with the first republican house and senate in decades. THEY were the one proposing all the cuts. Bill simply "triangulated" and saw an opportunity to make himself look good.

#2 The only reason the budget "balanced" was because, for the first time ever, they started counting S.S. surplus as part of the overall budget. If not for that gimmick, there would've been no balance.

To be fair, the house and senate were in on it also. Both run at the time by the republicans.

Let's hope Newt wins the republifuck nomination! He has so much baggage, it wouldn't fit in the cargo hold of a 747.
    I agree with you John. He's got baggage. Lot's of it.

Like the first speaker to preside over a ballanced budget in decades.
    Like an inate ability to piss off liberals faster than Dick Cheney.
    Like an ability to actually talk to people without a telepromter.
    Like an I.Q. almost equal to the boiking's hatsize.

But hear me on this, This isn't gonna be another grandpa and the cheerleader thing. Newt knows how to win, and he will be a formatable opponent.

I predict that if Newt gets the knod, The Bamster will not debate him. He can't hang.I also predict that Biden is toast. He will be kicked to the curb.

When have conservatives ever shrunk government? Not in my lifetime..
    John, smalltime did write "in theory"

It was the "theory" I agreed with.

Gordon

AndyF is offline Stainless

Quote Originally Posted by smalltime View Post

#1 He was required to work with the first republican house and senate in decades. THEY were the one proposing all the cuts. Bill simply "triangulated" and saw an opportunity to make himself look good.

#2 The only reason the budget "balanced" was because, for the first time ever, they started counting S.S. surplus as part of the overall budget. If not for that gimmick, there would've been no balance.

To be fair, the house and senate were in on it also. Both run at the time by the republicans.

Not so fast there. I know that conservatives prefer their own reality to the one the rest of the world resides in, but in fact the budget would have been in surplus even if Social Security was excluded. FactCheck.org : The Budget and Deficit Under Clinton

"Clinton’s large budget surpluses also owe much to the Social Security tax on payrolls. Social Security taxes now bring in more than the cost of current benefits, and the "Social Security surplus" makes the total deficit or surplus figures look better than they would if Social Security wasn’t counted. But even if we remove Social Security from the equation, there was a surplus of $1.9 billion in fiscal 1999 and $86.4 billion in fiscal 2000. So any way you count it, the federal budget was balanced and the deficit was erased, if only for a while." from FactCheck.org

lazlo is offline Diamond

I agree with you John. He's got baggage. Lot's of it.

Like the first speaker to preside over a ballanced budget in decades.
    ...and he gets lots of blowjobs from staffers, changes Wives more often than most people change their shoes, has been on Freddie Mac's payroll for years while he criticized others for taking the same money, and didn't have enough organizational skills to get the number of signatures necessary for the primary in his own state. Oh, and he was run out of Congress by his own party.

Other than that, he's the perfect candidate

Like it or not, Romney's going to get the nomination. Gingrich has the same voter (and personal) appeal as Hillary. If he gets to the point that he's eating into Romney's voter base (moderate conservatives), the RNC will have a smokey-room discussion like the DNC did for Hillary.
    JoeE. and aerodark like this.

PeteM is online now Diamond

Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    As I have said time and time again It shocks me we have so many liberals in here. Environmental regulation is the enemy of manufacturing, and if that isn't a liberal cause I don't know what is. . . .
    If conservatism is defined as the economic and social philosophy that wants to destroy the environment in search of personal gain -- no wonder so many here seem to be "liberals." It's as if the poster is rooting for the tragedy of the commons as a desirable outcome.

In 1900, the average male baby looked forward to a life expectancy of 45 years. Today, that life expectancy is above 75 years. Most of that difference comes from such things as clean water, sewers, indoor plumbing, clean air, safe food, and the like. To put it bluntly, most folks posting here (e.g. males approaching or passing 45 years of age) owe their extra years of life to Dualkit's notion of liberal excess.

Surely, it's closer to the truth that the engineering, manufacturing, and construction of such things as water systems, sewers, clean food processing plants, refrigeration, clean air, safe machinery, etc. etc. can and should provide a win-win for both humankind and manufacturing.

If this nation wanted a manufacturing policy, one of its lynch pins might be to make sure products and production did as much good and as little harm as possible. In cases where imports didn't meet that standard (e.g. global pollution from Chinese factories), slap on tariffs to level the playing field.
    JoeE. and aerodark like this.

Dualkit is offline Diamond

I like how everyone blows everything out of proportion. Anyone who says certain government regulations stand in the way of manufacturing businesses all of a sudden want to throw waste oil and garbage in the river. I think people are living longer mostly because of the invention of medicines (for profit) than the fact water and air are cleaner. There definitely was hoards of clean air and water before the industrial revolution and people were dying on an average before they hit 50, they died of infections and diseases that are now prevented with antibiotics and vaccines. I am looking for balance. I don't think we should throw waste oil in the river, but I think making it illegal to wash your own car in your driveway is ridiculous. Yes it is illegal to wash your own car in many cities in Southern California.

John Welden is offline Diamond

Yes, more please! It'd great entertainment listening to conservafucks defend Newt!

Newt only cheated on two wives in a row and ended up with some ice bitch that's 20 years younger and really into diamonds. That's the kind of guy I want making decisions for the country! He obviously cares about people, that's why he left his first wife while she was in the hospital with cancer. Great guy, excellent judgement. So great that his own party ran him out of the speakership and fined him 300 grand.

And,
    There's not much better than watching you dick weeds act like the Bush years never happened. Who, huh? Oh, worst president of all time? That was a long time ago, plus all he did was let 9-11 happen, start two bullshit wars, greatly expand government, pass patriot act, tripple the debt, Medicare part d, no child left behind and tank the fucking economy. Just those things....

No biggie....

Obama on the other hand! He hates America, that's why the economy is growing, the stock market is booming, corps are richer than ever, got Osama and ended the Iraq war. I sure wish we could get conservatards running the show again!

Fuck you.
    JoeE. likes this.

I am looking for balance. I don't think we should throw waste oil in the river, but I think making it illegal to wash your own car in your driveway is ridiculous. Yes it is illegal to wash your own car in many cities in Southern California.
    Outrageous! What could possibly go wrong with nine zillion people washing their cars with water we can't spare and letting the run off go down the storm drains? It's not like we have a water crisis and the oceans are sick as fuck.

PeteM is online now Diamond

. . . I think people are living longer mostly because of the invention of medicines (for profit) than the fact water and air are cleaner. . .
    Turns out what you happen to think is probably wrong. One source:

"The greatest credit for improving life expectancy, however, must go to intentional public health efforts. With growing acceptance of the germ theory, organized efforts were made to improve sanitary conditions in the large cities. The construction of municipal water and sewer systems provided protection against common sources of infection. Other important developments included cleaning streets, more attention to removal of garbage, draining stagnant pools of water, quarantining sick people, and regulating foodstuffs (especially the milk supply)."

Read more: life expectancy: Definition from Answers.com

One of the engineering societies did a review of the greatest technological advances from 1900 to 2000 a decade or so back. While antibiotics made the list, much greater weight was given to the water supply, sewers, sanitation, food safety, refrigeration etc. as reasons for the dramatic increase in longevity over that period.

lazlo is offline Diamond

It shocks me we have so many liberals in here. Environmental regulation is the enemy of manufacturing, and if that isn't a liberal cause I don't know what is. . . .
    You have a very strange notion of conservatism. Union Carbide outsourced their plant to Bhopal to avoid environmental and safety regulations.

We didn't move our manufacturing to China because of the EPA, we moved it to China because executives got huge performance bonuses for "saving" millions of dollars by moving to a third world country.

But at least we can be happy that we exported this as well:

Newt only cheated on two wives in a row and ended up with some ice bitch that's 20 years younger and really into diamonds. That's the kind of guy I want making decisions for the country! He obviously cares about people, that's why he left his first wife while she was in the hospital with cancer. Great guy, excellent judgement. So great that his own party ran him out of the speakership and fined him 300 grand.
    For the same thing Hillary did as a back bencher in the senate.But she got 7 million for the "book deal".

And you really need to keep up on current events John. It was his first wife that divorced HIM while she was in the hospital for an unrealted problem.....not cancer, and she didn't die.

And,
    There's not much better than watching you dick weeds act like the Bush years never happened. Who, huh? Oh, worst president of all time? That was a long time ago, plus all he did was let 9-11 happen, start two bullshit wars, greatly expand government, pass patriot act, tripple the debt, Medicare part d, no child left behind and tank the fucking economy. Just those things....

No biggie....
    Oh, You're one of THOSE.
    Do you REALLY believe that GWB allowed 9/11 to happen? Are you that far gone John?
    BTW, ALL of those things got MASSIVE democratic support in the house and senate.

Obama on the other hand! He hates America, that's why the economy is growing, the stock market is booming, corps are richer than ever, got Osama and ended the Iraq war. I sure wish we could get conservatards running the show again!
    Yup,
    He's doing a great job.....at cooking the books. Giving trillions to his banker buddies. Giving away car companies to his UAW buddies. And we wont even mention his lovely wife Who can't seem to get enough vacations and when she does go, she has to travel like the royalty she is, in her own private jet.

Fuck you.
    You wouldn't like it.....I just lay there.

RedBaron is offline Aluminum

Quote Originally Posted by AndyF View Post
    Not so fast there. I know that conservatives prefer their own reality to the one the rest of the world resides in, but in fact the budget would have been in surplus even if Social Security was excluded. FactCheck.org : The Budget and Deficit Under Clinton
    Factcheck.org has little to do with fact. Partisan website disguising itself as a public service announcement. A spin factory.

These numbers come from the US treasury:

Government - Monthly Statement of the Public Debt (MSPD) and Downloadable Files

The deficit continues to grow, there is no Clinton balanced budget, we haven't had a balanced budget in a long time, and we haven't had zero government debt since the 19th century. The most recent decrease (albeit small) to the deficit occurs under President Eisenhower.

Gary

77ironhead is offline Titanium

Conservatives have never been in the power positions except for Ronaldus Magnus, but he grew government to defeat the ruskies.....which he did. I do wish that it had shrunk back down after that.But he had to work with a liberal congress.

how soon they forget (or are ya on Fox reality?)

in 2005:
    Executive branch- King george II + sycophants
    Judicial branch: 7 out of nine of the USSC justices were GOP nominees (including 3 of the 5 most conservative justices to sit on the bench since FDR was in office)
    Legislative branch: House and Senate both under GOP rule.

can't hide behind blaming it on a 'liberal congress' there, can ya?
    John Welden likes this.

Oh, You're one of THOSE.
    Do you REALLY believe that GWB allowed 9/11 to happen? Are you that far gone John?
    Love how conservafucks go on an on about how the gov can't be trusted and can't do anything right. But when it comes to the story on 9-11, there's the truth! LOL Yeah,,,, no unanswered question there! No sir, just the facts. Give me a break.

Love how conservafucks go on an on about how the gov can't be trusted and can't do anything right. But when it comes to the story on 9-11, there's the truth! LOL Yeah,,,, no unanswered question there! No sir, just the facts. Give me a break.
    So by your logic, FDR was complicit in the attacks on Pearl Harbor.

Got it.

Dualkit is offline Diamond

I hope all you extreme left wingers are practicing what you preach. Please post pictures of the horses you are riding to the grocery store. I hope you aren't using any non renewable energy or anything that is associated with pollution to cook your food.

Quote Originally Posted by 77ironhead View Post

how soon they forget (or are ya on Fox reality?)

in 2005:
    Executive branch- King george II + sycophants
    Judicial branch: 7 out of nine of the USSC justices were GOP nominees (including 3 of the 5 most conservative justices to sit on the bench since FDR was in office)
    Legislative branch: House and Senate both under GOP rule.

can't hide behind blaming it on a 'liberal congress' there, can ya?
    I was talking about Ronald Reagan. Anybody here remember Tip O'Neil?

So by your logic, FDR was complicit in the attacks on Pearl Harbor.

Got it.

I didn't say anything about pearl harbor.

Asking questions about 9-11 is what everyone should be doing. Sitting back like a dumb fuck and buying into the bull shit is what retards do.

Oh wait, I'm a crazy conspiracy theorist because I want to know why WTC building 7 fell down. 9-11 commission report didn't happen to mention anything about it. So crazy to ask about that!

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast