What's new
What's new

F-35 Stealth fighter beaten in dogfight by a 70s era plane

US latest F-35 stealth jet is beaten in dogfight by F-16 from 1970s | Daily Mail Online

Israel, Egypt, the Netherlands, Denmark and Norway all fly the F-16.

It's not looking good for the project.
future air warfare will probably have a dog fight of 100 drones against one fighter jet. they call it swarm warfare.
then there is the 747 plane with lasers knocking out of the sky missiles, jets or anything it wants. they got lasers now that can do it slowly. they want lasers that can destroy target faster and aim for next target faster and that requires raw power. huge generators that air craft carriers and battle ships could be upgraded for.
they are working on tanks with lasers too for destroying missiles, mortars, planes, etc. they have now they are just working at faster and more powerful firing ability
contrary to movies lasers just burn holes in objects there is rarely an explosion unless it burns through something that can explode

I can't understand how lasers are going to knock out missiles if they are coated with a polished copper clad skin that will reflect about 90% of a co2 lasers energy.

John

$236B and eight years off of schedule hehehehehe. you have to laugh cuz crying won't do any good.

I'm under the impression the limit quite awhile ago became the pilot and the G force's they could endure - drones man drones. This whole thing sounds like a $1.5 trillion dollar mistake.

I can't understand how lasers are going to knock out missiles if they are coated with a polished copper clad skin that will reflect about 90% of a co2 lasers energy.

John
laser come in different wavelengths. infrared, visible light, ultraviolet, etc and different power intensities. what reflects some wavelength other wavelength will easily burn through. i saw in the Toronto Science center a laser cutting through firebrick like it was nothing. raw power will vaporize any solid material into liquid and gas. like Star Trek if they randomly change frequencies they can burn through. just have to find correct wavelength
army has microwave tank for crowd control. people thought they could use a shield and not feel heat from microwaves. arms, legs, heads, etc all every person who tried failed at shielding themselves from the microwaves and the army was not even trying to kill only make people hot enough they went away or fled the area. it is not like they were heating shield to 3000 degrees

And when this thing gets shot down by some dink with an optically guided launcher firing from an air balloon - what will we do then?

Kamikaze drones. how do you fight 1000 supersonic drones loaded with explosives on contact whose only purpose is to collide with you and knock a plane out of the sky. laser guided missiles upgraded to drones so ability over load plane defenses. and if you think blocking radio signals will help one they will soon have some artificial intelligence they will not need humans controlling by radio. and they will not take over the world. they will run out of fuel and stop flying literally in minutes or hours
if a few kamikaze planes can damage a navy warship what will 1000 do who since no one is in the drone flying it there is nobody committing suicide. navy warship will have backup rail guns shooting chucks of uranium like cannon balls but at supersonic velocities. how do you stop 20 lbs moving at 2000 to 20,000 miles per hour. you do not. but how many chucks of uranium bullets can a ship hold ?
on a airplane you want a lot of ammunition but ammo weighs a lot slowing plane down. laser weighs less if you can generate the power required

I'm sure the source of the article ( daylimail.co.UK ) has no personal agenda ....

In total, Britain is expected to purchase 138 of the jets from the US, but at present costs that would add up to a total of $19billion.
The delays and escalating costs mean that once the British Tornado jets – which have been in service since 1979 - are retired in three years’ time, the UK will be left with an ‘offensive capacity’ of just 60 planes.

But here is another take on the same issue: F-16 Vs. F-35 In A Dogfight: JPO, Air Force Weigh In On Who?s Best « Breaking Defense - Defense industry news, analysis and commentary

Maybe the Brits should resurrect the F-22 program instead he?

the dogfight issue is kind of irrelevant- but the fact that the bombs wont fit- until 2022-
New small diameter bomb doesn?t fit inside Marines' F-35B | Fox News
The gun wont work until 2017- but now they say, well, maybe 2019-
http://www.dodbuzz.com/2015/01/08/pentagon-f-35-gun-will-fire-in-2017/
and then the fuel tank doesnt work yet, its not protected against lightning, the flight control system fails in flight, the helmet display system doesnt work, the software isnt done, and they have reliability issues with "avionics processors, landing gear tires, thermal management systems, ejection seat assemblies, cockpit display electronics unit, helmet display units, seat survival kits, igniter-spark in the turbine engines, and on-board oxygen generating systems."

Pentagon: Here are all the problems with the F-35 - Business Insider

oh, and the price tag is now estimated at 1.5 Trillion.

Aside from that, its a great plane.

They still dogfight???

Yes, but it is done the same way we prevailed last time.

'Leak' enough of the plans for advanced weps that the Sovs bankrupt themselves trying to build even half-vast copies.

Meanwhile, we cease production at a fraction of "plan", shift gears to the next, lather, rinse, repeat with each whole GENERATION of new toys.

Not a cheap process.

But neither is a 'hot' war.

And we seem to gain a lot of technology and production techniques out of it all that prove far more useful in 'real life' than the weps wudda been, anyway.

Meanwhile - those who work on them spend the billions earned back into our own economy right along with the new technology.

F-35 ain't the first of those 'strategies'.

Nor Gerald R Ford class carriers already being equipped with the 'power grid' to operate humongous lasers... warp torpedos... wotever.

Hopefully won't be the last round, either. The 'byproducts' are too important - and even the National Debt owed mostly to..... our own good selves.

Plus a few folk who might wish us a great deal of harm... if only it wouldn't bankrupt their own economy if it actually came to pass.

Dumb like a fox. Bumbling idiots like those stupid f*****g Americans.

:)

Bill

oh, and the price tag is now estimated at 1.5 Trillion.

Say... Aren't you the guy who normally says it is government financed programs which lay the foundation for technological advancements
that we all take for granted today?

Who are you and what have you done with the real Ries? :toetap:

yeah! I wouldn't want VTOL and stealth on today's battle ground. We should retreat to '70's tech....better yet i heard a good canvas bi-plane can outmaneuver an F-16 at under 200 knots.
what's old, is new again!:D

yeah! I wouldn't want VTOL and stealth on today's battle ground. We should retreat to '70's tech....better yet i heard a good canvas bi-plane can outmaneuver an F-16 at under 200 knots.
what's old, is new again!:D

Wood, wire, fabric, and low-power-output motor is even hard as Hell to lock onto with radar or IR guided weps.

OTOH, a close pass and the turbulence of a heavy jet disjoints the buggers Real Soon Now.

Sci Fi 'time warp' story about just that was written half a century ago. Theme popped up again with Navy jets dumped into a time-warp against IJN Zeros. Mark One Eyeball and cannon still worked there.

Not to forget MIM-14A's parlour trick. The 12-foot CPE at 80+ miles was just jacks or better to open. It was backed up by a dial-a-yield 10 kiloton to 40 Kiloton warshot.

That's part of the 'American Way' just as much as using bore-sighted 155 mm guns as 'sniper rifles' during the 'take it all down' exercise at Aachen, DE

If it first you don't succeed?

Cheat. Just use a bigger hammer, pound harder and faster.

Bill

Say... Aren't you the guy who normally says it is government financed programs which lay the foundation for technological advancements
that we all take for granted today?

Who are you and what have you done with the real Ries? :toetap:

I am in favor of the government funding basic science, and supporting technology advances that will help keep US businesses competitive worldwide, and keep american workers employed.

Personally, I do not feel this plane is one of those projects.
The budget will go to help the aerospace companies, its true.
But its too expensive, and the same job could be done with cheaper planes, and assuming we were still going to spend that 1.5 Trillion, I would rather see it spent on bridges, roads, ports, crumbling infrastructure, safe nuclear power plants, housing, schools, and developing products that we could sell abroad.

I dont think the world is going to buy 6000 F35s. Whereas Boeing currently has backorders for 6000 non-military planes, and the Republicans are trying to eliminate the Import Export bank, so Boeing will sell fewer planes.

That good enough for ya?

Back