Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 53 of 53
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: NASCAR using new automotive technology..

  1. #41
    USMCPOP is offline Titanium
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Midlothian, Virginia
    Posts
    2,610

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smalltime View Post
    Semper Fi.......thank you for your service.

    I've been to 7 Brickyard 400s, 3 U.S.G.P.s, 4 knoxville nationals, and countless USAC sprint, midget dirt car races

    There only two Sprint cup races I would take the time to attend. The first is the fall race in Martinsville and the second is the night race in Richmond.

    Richmond is possibly the best oval on the planet, next to Indy. There is awesome racing there, even in the Nationwide series. Ever wonder why the cup guys always run Richmond and and to a lesser extent Pocono?

    Take the time to go to that one. Thank a vet for all of us.
    Thanks, but I can't take credit for being a Vet. My son was the Marine and we lost him 7 years ago in Iraq. I remember taking him to a race at Richmond years ago. It's a dinky track. Took him to a couple county fairground races up in NJ when he was a wee lad to watch some outlaw sprint cars. We'd have to scrub the rubber dust out of our hair when we got home. That's racing.

  2. #42
    D Dubeau's Avatar
    D Dubeau is offline Aluminum
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    210

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hansdie View Post
    To race a NASCAR would be tough. To drive one alone on the track... don't think it would be that hard if the car was set-up properly. From my knowledge there is only a couple tracks where they're going 200 in the corners, banked at that. So lets see minimal g's, minimal accel/decel, no shifting, minimal throttle movement...yup not that hard

    I would hardly call nascar drivers elite. There is none that I know of, in modern times, that have made a switch from nascar to F1. But the other way yes.

    Basically the hardest skill is motorcycle racing at the top levels. then F1, WRC.
    I'd give NASCAR drivers a bit more credit. I'd say riding a MotoGP and world superbike, would probably rank at the top in terms of required skill followed closely by WRC IMO. No doubt it takes skill to race painted on door handle to painted on door handle for 500 miles @ 200mph. But I wouldn't rank it on the same level a racing a bike on the world stage, or chucking a car through the woods as fast as you can without dying. But then again I'm kinda partial to bikes, and not much of a nascar fan. Although on some level I'm a fan of anything that burns fuel and goes fast.

  3. #43
    cmailco's Avatar
    cmailco is offline Hot Rolled
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    949

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John Welden View Post
    Interesting that Juan Pablo Montoya didn't dominate on the oval tracks. You'd think an F1 driver would clean house if all he had to do was turn left?

    Guess not... Guess he got his ass kicked by those dumb farm boys that don't know anything.
    Just my belief, as a road-race guy who's logged quite a number of hours behind numerous V8 cars over the years... but I don't know that a really technical driver is necessarily guaranteed anything in Nascar.

    For one, the cars are too similar and the track doesn't lend itself to overtaking in critical chicanes, s-curves and the like. You really need to know the "drafting/buddy" system to get around people.

    I AGREE that it's not as easy as some people might think, I don't however agree that being a technical driver guarantees anything when cars are so similar in output and everything comes down to the tires and setup for a particular track.

    Kiwi2wheels likes this.

  4. #44
    PhillipM is offline Cast Iron
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Rotherham, UK
    Posts
    490

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John Welden View Post
    I think part of the lure of auto racing is that it looks like anyone could do it given the chance. No, you will get destroyed.
    Unless you started in karts whilst you were still potty training, and have either won the lottery, have a lot of rich friends/family or strike it lucky on the stock market at the same time, the man off the street has got zero chance of hitting the top echelons, no matter how much natural aptitude they have.

    Nascar's still boring though
    John Welden likes this.

  5. #45
    smalltime's Avatar
    smalltime is online now Stainless
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    1,639

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by USMCPOP View Post
    Thanks, but I can't take credit for being a Vet. My son was the Marine and we lost him 7 years ago in Iraq. I remember taking him to a race at Richmond years ago. It's a dinky track. Took him to a couple county fairground races up in NJ when he was a wee lad to watch some outlaw sprint cars. We'd have to scrub the rubber dust out of our hair when we got home. That's racing.
    I read your post this afternoon when I got home, and I've been brooding ever since about the response. I, just now, got up the balls to thank you for your service....again.

    Yes, you and his mother, did "serve". Right alongside of your son who will be remembered by me and all that read your stirring post.

    Thanks for sharing those words. I have no more.

    Godspeed Marine.


  6. #46
    thruthefence's Avatar
    thruthefence is offline Titanium
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    People's Democratic Republic of Louisiana
    Posts
    2,557

    Default

    slightly OT, but does anyone know how the "Gran Turismo 5 gamers/Nissan GT Academy" boys did in the 24HR Dubai race?


    http://www.roadandtrack.com/racing/m...san-gt-academy

  7. #47
    smalltime's Avatar
    smalltime is online now Stainless
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    1,639

    Default

    A couple of bumps for the topic:

    #1- Kenny Wallace was the first victim of the new Fuel injection debate/rule today.

    It seems that the system requires a fuel pump rated for 70 lbs of preasure. The racer in question lost a alternator which lead to the battery loosing power.......you can follow from there. Just a new wheel on the wagon for the NASCAR techy fans out there. (Hey! let's carry three batteries instead of sixty pounds of ballast!)

    #2- Mrs. Danica Patric had a steller day. She ran with the pack, didn't screw up, and was actually showing some real racing skill not previously seen.
    Then she got punted by a fellow driver and was sent into the inside retaining wall with a horrific thud.

    Really hard hit, and I hope she's OK. This is coming from a person who has seen some hard licks. SHE TOOK A HARD HIT TODAY. I would say she will be VERY sore for the 500.

    Danica Patrick Massive Crash 2012 NASCAR Gatorade Duels at Daytona - YouTube

    Just so you all know: She didn't bail at the last second. In open wheel racing, you are taught to let go of the wheel when it's inevitable. This saves your hands and wrists for major injuries. It was simply a flashback for her.

    I may actually root for her on sunday.


  8. #48
    Hansdie's Avatar
    Hansdie is offline Hot Rolled
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    720

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PhillipM View Post
    Unless you started in karts whilst you were still potty training, and have either won the lottery, have a lot of rich friends/family or strike it lucky on the stock market at the same time, the man off the street has got zero chance of hitting the top echelons, no matter how much natural aptitude they have.

    Nascar's still boring though
    not fully impossible at least in motorcycle racing. Though Troy Bayliss is my only example.

    Quote Originally Posted by thruthefence View Post
    slightly OT, but does anyone know how the "Gran Turismo 5 gamers/Nissan GT Academy" boys did in the 24HR Dubai race?


    Nissan GT Academy - Unemployed Man Chosen as Pro Race Car Driver
    Looked it up looks like his team finished 3rd

  9. #49
    PhillipM is offline Cast Iron
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Rotherham, UK
    Posts
    490

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hansdie View Post
    not fully impossible at least in motorcycle racing. Though Troy Bayliss is my only example.



    Looked it up looks like his team finished 3rd
    Lots less money and a lot bigger pair of testicles needed for the top echelons of motorcycling, thank god!

  10. #50
    gas pumper is offline Cast Iron
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Boonton, NJ
    Posts
    294

    Default Bonneville

    A little OT to the thread. Here's a car I do some work on. This was August of 2011. We are just starting now to get ready for the 2012 race meet this august. We need to find 4 mph without screwing anything up and make it go slower. That's not easy.

    We have a lot of safety rules, but functionally we can do most anything.

    We need to have open wheels, a single automotive type engine, run on gasoline, no power adders, and over 500 c.i.. Innovation is encouraged.

    We are the first unblown gas lakester to top 300 with carburetors. And have been 313.6 mph. Unfortunatly the record stands at 314.xxx by a fuel injected engine. We have had a flying mile speed average of 311.xxx , so that's where the 4 mph comes in that we need to find.

    There's almost no sponsors and no prizes or purses.

    Frank
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_1405.jpg  
    smalltime and John Welden like this.

  11. #51
    Hansdie's Avatar
    Hansdie is offline Hot Rolled
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    720

  12. #52
    smalltime's Avatar
    smalltime is online now Stainless
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    1,639

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gas pumper View Post
    A little OT to the thread. Here's a car I do some work on. This was August of 2011. We are just starting now to get ready for the 2012 race meet this august. We need to find 4 mph without screwing anything up and make it go slower. That's not easy.

    We have a lot of safety rules, but functionally we can do most anything.

    We need to have open wheels, a single automotive type engine, run on gasoline, no power adders, and over 500 c.i.. Innovation is encouraged.

    We are the first unblown gas lakester to top 300 with carburetors. And have been 313.6 mph. Unfortunatly the record stands at 314.xxx by a fuel injected engine. We have had a flying mile speed average of 311.xxx , so that's where the 4 mph comes in that we need to find.

    There's almost no sponsors and no prizes or purses.

    Frank
    One day I will get to the flats. As well as the Pikes Peak Hill climb.

    That looks like a really fun ride. What kind of fuel do you run? Is there a bottle on board?

    Good luck in august.

  13. #53
    gas pumper is offline Cast Iron
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Boonton, NJ
    Posts
    294

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smalltime View Post
    One day I will get to the flats. As well as the Pikes Peak Hill climb.

    That looks like a really fun ride. What kind of fuel do you run? Is there a bottle on board?

    Good luck in august.
    We run gasoline, SCTA approved and bought at the site. No bottle, That would put us in the Blown Fuel class.

    I got to tell you, the event is amazing. We spend a week out there. Every car is different and most are hand made. There a lot of one of a kind equipment. There are usually 500+ race cars and bikes at the Speedweek event we go to.

    thanks for the good wishes.

    Frank

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •