Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213
Results 241 to 249 of 249
Like Tree105Likes

Thread: What makes US manufacturers uncompetitive

  1. #241
    DouglasJRizzo's Avatar
    DouglasJRizzo is offline Cast Iron
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Franklin Lakes, New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    476

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lazlo View Post
    Yes, actually it does. That's the textbook definition of socialism.
    I guess that's where we might disagree.
    Quote Originally Posted by lazlo View Post
    Which is ironic, since that's how Romney made his millions (after he inherited millions from Romney Sr., CEO of GM) -- his company, Bain and associates, raided company, sold off their valuable assets, and dismantled the rest.
    Regardless of who did it, I've never liked the practice and feel it's something that should be stopped or slowed. Many a great machine tool builder has fallen because their plant was, due to a temporary bloom in real estate prices, worth more than the rest of their business.

  2. #242
    lazlo's Avatar
    lazlo is offline Diamond
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    4,405

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DouglasJRizzo View Post
    I worked under several names, and NO I'm not posting anything! LOL!


    Russian houses have made inroads, but the USA is still the BIGGEST creator and seller of porn.
    Good, I'm glad we haven't found a way to outsource it, yet...

    By the way, I found it amusing that CES -- the Consumer and Electronic Show in Vegas, was always coincident with the Adult Video Awards. You could wander around the CES show, and suddenly stumble into a bunch of naked people.

    Things that make you go "hmmm..."

  3. #243
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Kolding Denmark
    Posts
    9,388

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lazlo View Post


    By the way, I found it amusing that CES -- the Consumer and Electronic Show in Vegas, was always coincident with the Adult Video Awards. You could wander around the CES show, and suddenly stumble into a bunch of naked people.

    Things that make you go "hmmm..."
    Are you sure you didn't go to the AVA and stumble into CES and that made you say "hmmmmm"?

  4. #244
    lazlo's Avatar
    lazlo is offline Diamond
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    4,405

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    Are you sure you didn't go to the AVA and stumble into CES and that made you say "hmmmmm"?
    It depends on who you ask. If you ask my corporate travel department, that paid for the trip...

  5. #245
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Kolding Denmark
    Posts
    9,388

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lazlo View Post
    It depends on who you ask. If you ask my corporate travel department, that paid for the trip...
    I might just have to rethink my opinion of you

    You might just be human after all. Human and Texan can't be bad

    Three cowboys are sitting around a campfire, out on a lonesome Texas prairie, each with the bravado for which cowboys are famous. A night of tall tales begins.

    The first one says, "I must be the meanest, toughest cowboy there is. Why, just the other day a bull got loose in the corral and gored six men before I wrestled it to the ground by the horns with my bare hands."

    The second cowboy can't stand to be bested. "Why that's nothing. I was walking down the trail yesterday and a fifteen-foot rattlesnake slid out from under a rock and made a move for me. I grabbed that snake with my bare hands, bit its head off and sucked the poison down in one gulp. And I'm still here today."

    The third cowboy remained silent, silently stirring the coals with his hands.


    ------------------------------

    A cowboy rode into town and stopped at a saloon for a drink. Unfortunately, the locals always had a habit of picking on strangers, which he was. When he finished his drink, he found his horse had been stolen. He went back into the bar, handily flipped his gun into the air, caught it above his head without even looking and fired a shot into the ceiling. "Which one of you sidewinders stole my horse?!?!?" he yelled with surprising forcefulness. No one answered. "Alright, I'm gonna have another beer, and if my horse ain't back outside by the time I finish, I'm gonna do what I dun in Texas! And I don't like to have to do what I dun in Texas!"

    Some of the locals shifted restlessly. The man, true to his word, had another beer, walked outside, and his horse has been returned to the post. He saddled up and started to ride out of town.

    The bartender wandered out of the bar and asked, "Say partner, before you go... what happened in Texas?"

    The cowboy turned back and said, "I had to walk home."

  6. #246
    DouglasJRizzo's Avatar
    DouglasJRizzo is offline Cast Iron
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Franklin Lakes, New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    476

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lazlo View Post




    Good, I'm glad we haven't found a way to outsource it, yet...

    By the way, I found it amusing that CES -- the Consumer and Electronic Show in Vegas, was always coincident with the Adult Video Awards. You could wander around the CES show, and suddenly stumble into a bunch of naked people.

    Things that make you go "hmmm..."
    It's not by accident that it's timed like that.

  7. #247
    DouglasJRizzo's Avatar
    DouglasJRizzo is offline Cast Iron
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Franklin Lakes, New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    476

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cmailco View Post
    I'm not into blanket statements but I will say this... after years of consulting with a number of manufacturing outfits, the number one thing I saw that held some of these shops back?

    Old thinking.

    Old thinking about cutting strategies, coolants, you name it. Many of these companies are happy fighting with one hand tied behind their back.

    Not ALL... but many.

    And managers who just don't understand ethics and people.
    I must agree wholeheartedly. I saw this at my dad's shop. They were running it like it was still 1962 and couldn't figure out why it was failing.

    Business is dynamic and the machine shop biz is no exception.

  8. #248
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Kolding Denmark
    Posts
    9,388

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DouglasJRizzo View Post
    I must agree wholeheartedly. I saw this at my dad's shop. They were running it like it was still 1962 and couldn't figure out why it was failing.

    Business is dynamic and the machine shop biz is no exception.
    Sadly there are members in PM that live in the past too. The gap between the industrial countries isn't nearly what it used to be.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_...nsulting_Group)

  9. #249
    cmailco's Avatar
    cmailco is offline Hot Rolled
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    949

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    Sadly there are members in PM that live in the past too. The gap between the industrial countries isn't nearly what it used to be.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_...nsulting_Group)
    Most certainly.

    One thing I've noticed--and I tend to be an observant type-- but once a shop hand has arrived at "owner" status, their attitude changes a bit... a bit less hubris, a bit more authoritarian. I've dealt with it time and time again as a consultant.

    Employees are treated as an expense, rather than an asset... and the whole culture of the cohesive 'team' environment is lost in the process, because employees are smarter than most give them credit.

    We should all read our Dale Carnegie again... or for the first time, as the case may be.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •