Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 127
  1. #1
    thruthefence's Avatar
    thruthefence is offline Titanium
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    People's Democratic Republic of Louisiana
    Posts
    2,557

  2. #2
    77ironhead is offline Titanium
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    maryland
    Posts
    2,193

    Default

    yet another example of a crap company wanting the world of an employee, and offering peanuts in return.....$13/hour for a skilled tradesman???

  3. #3
    Krutch is offline Hot Rolled
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    somewhere in Illinois
    Posts
    678

    Default

    I suppose $13/hr. is about right. Most places in 'the People's Republic of ILL.' start at $7.00/hr. Why offer more when there are so many out of work? Somewhere someone will jump at the job, the company just has to wait for that guy. Skilled? I wonder how many of those are still around. I would think any skilled are working for themselves or retired. But then, I'm no expert at the things.

  4. #4
    Alloy Mcgraw is online now Stainless
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Eastern CT USA
    Posts
    1,454

    Default

    I'm not in Utah, so what i say on this may not apply. But $13 an hour for a "skilled tradesman" is an insult. Would be more then a constant struggle to support a small family here, and a small emergency would sink them. The article says that this company would see a 20% increase in sales if they could find the 40 workers needed. So instead of kicking a little of that boost in sales/profits down to its workers, they spend extra money in a training course. I've never felt good about working for a company that "Nickel and dimes" me. The better a company treats it's workers, the better/more work they recieve in return for the wages paid.

  5. #5
    bhigdog is online now Hot Rolled
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    526

    Default

    I've been out of the trade for many years but it was hard for me to feel bad for the company owner when I saw he was crying about not finding "skilled machinests" for $13 an hour. Did anyone notice his picture? Didn't look like any shortage of food at his house.........Bob

  6. #6
    Mebfab is online now Diamond
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Mebane North Carolina USA
    Posts
    5,170

    Default

    How many years after the training course ends will it be before that employee is "skilled" If all it takes is running a unskilled worker through this course and a few months of polishing, then they dont need highly skilled employees by my definition

  7. #7
    77ironhead is offline Titanium
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    maryland
    Posts
    2,193

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Krutch View Post
    I suppose $13/hr. is about right. Most places in 'the People's Republic of ILL.' start at $7.00/hr. Why offer more when there are so many out of work? Somewhere someone will jump at the job, the company just has to wait for that guy. Skilled? I wonder how many of those are still around. I would think any skilled are working for themselves or retired. But then, I'm no expert at the things.
    considering the very same article quotes a temp agency as paying 40+k a year for semi-skilled labor, 13/hr for highly skilled labor is an insult, and more than a little unrealistic. Why on earth would anyone in their right mind go work for less money, doing a harder job, and required (in most cases) to provide their own tools; when they have the option to go sit in an office all day, spend 1/2 their time surfing the 'net, not buy any tools, not get dirty for a living etc etc etc......

  8. #8
    jim rozen is online now Diamond
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    peekskill, NY
    Posts
    21,053

    Default

    "Mr. Sperry sees extended jobless benefits as one of the main culprits behind his company's hiring difficulties."

    The guy's either an asshole or a moron. The folks qualified to improve his bottom
    line (shipping more product) look at that thirteen bucks and tell him to stuff it, out
    of principle. Have fun not satisfying your customers mr sperry.

  9. #9
    Joe788 is offline Titanium
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Westside of America.
    Posts
    2,927

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jim rozen View Post
    "Mr. Sperry sees extended jobless benefits as one of the main culprits behind his company's hiring difficulties."

    The guy's either an asshole or a moron. The folks qualified to improve his bottom
    line (shipping more product) look at that thirteen bucks and tell him to stuff it, out
    of principle. Have fun not satisfying your customers mr sperry.
    If they were facing homelessness, that thirteen bucks would look pretty damn good.

    Instead, they're facing another 12 months of grueling relaxation, collecting their jobless benefits.

  10. #10
    John Welden's Avatar
    John Welden is online now Diamond
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Kirkland, WA
    Posts
    5,569

    Default

    Caterpillar Inc:

    2008 data:
    CAT $44,958,000,000 revenues and $3,541,000,000 profit

    2007 data:
    CEO Total compensation: $17,107,741

    They've got 17 million to pay the CEO but can only swing $13 bucks an hour for a machinist. That's called pure greed.

    It all comes down to income inequality and concentration of wealth at the very top. It didn't used to be nearly as bad bad 10, 20, 30+ years ago. America will be better off and grow faster with a strong middle class.

    Too bad so many americans are stupid and lazy and allow this shit to happen.

  11. #11
    jdj
    jdj is offline Diamond
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    detroit,mich.
    Posts
    4,656

    Default

    The big shots don't understand who or what makes the money for the company.

    Jeff

  12. #12
    Gary E is offline Diamond
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    5,712

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jdj View Post
    The big shots don't understand who or what makes the money for the company.

    Jeff

    Of course they do....
    And what about the workers who are represented by the same unions that the auto workers use?? Why dont they get better contracts?

  13. #13
    Mark Leigh is offline Hot Rolled
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Merced, Calif
    Posts
    890

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe788 View Post
    If they were facing homelessness, that thirteen bucks would look pretty damn good.

    Instead, they're facing another 12 months of grueling relaxation, collecting their jobless benefits.
    Sooo all the qualified machinists in that area just got laid off yesterday ?? I don't think so, there should be some qualified people off of un- employment right now , 13.00 an hour is a fat bastard 's way of thinking, that don't make it right.
    What do you pay for wages in your shop ???

  14. #14
    Joe788 is offline Titanium
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Westside of America.
    Posts
    2,927

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Leigh View Post
    Sooo all the qualified machinists in that area just got laid off yesterday ?? I don't think so, there should be some qualified people off of un- employment right now , 13.00 an hour is a fat bastard 's way of thinking, that don't make it right.
    What do you pay for wages in your shop ???
    I wouldn't put anything of importance into the hands of a person making $13.00/hour. But that doesn't mean I'm going to force other people to think the same way.

    It's supply and demand. It will equal out as long as there's no outside influence. In this case, outside influence is the fact that jobless benefits have been extended, so people can make more money sitting on their ass, than by working for $13.00/hour.

  15. #15
    smalltime's Avatar
    smalltime is offline Stainless
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    1,643

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe788 View Post
    I wouldn't put anything of importance into the hands of a person making $13.00/hour. But that doesn't mean I'm going to force other people to think the same way.

    It's supply and demand. It will equal out as long as there's no outside influence. In this case, outside influence is the fact that jobless benefits have been extended, so people can make more money sitting on their ass, than by working for $13.00/hour.
    Joe!
    Joe!

    Can you hear me?

    You have fallen into the capitalist' trap, I'm here to help you!

    I've been here before and there's no way to argue your way out. You are dealing with, what we call, The Obama Nation.

    They only see company owners as the enemy. All owners are rich, and drive a Mercedes. They pay their employees a pittance while they eat lobsters off of their solid oak their desktops.

    There is no way to talk any sense to them, let them wallow in their own self pitty and move on. Trust me, you'll sleep better.

    Move on from here and go do what they hate the most:

    Earn more profit!

  16. #16
    Gary E is offline Diamond
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    5,712

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John Welden View Post
    Caterpillar Inc:

    2008 data:
    CAT $44,958,000,000 revenues and $3,541,000,000 profit

    2007 data:
    CEO Total compensation: $17,107,741

    They've got 17 million to pay the CEO but can only swing $13 bucks an hour for a machinist. That's called pure greed.

    It all comes down to income inequality and concentration of wealth at the very top. It didn't used to be nearly as bad bad 10, 20, 30+ years ago. America will be better off and grow faster with a strong middle class.

    Too bad so many americans are stupid and lazy and allow this shit to happen.

    Cat has.......... Full Time Employees: 93,813

    Key Executives
    Pay Exercised
    Mr. Douglas R. Oberhelman , 56
    Vice Chairman and Chief Exec. Officer 996.00K 71.00K
    Mr. Edward J. Rapp , 52
    Chief Financial Officer 780.00K 2.75M
    Mr. Steven H. Wunning , 58
    Group Pres 994.00K 1.02M
    Mr. Stuart L. Levenick , 56
    Group Pres 994.00K 1.35M
    Mr. Gerard R. Vittecoq , 61
    Group Pres 1.22M 802.00K


    Dollar amounts are as of Dec 31, 2009 and compensation values are for the last fiscal year ending on that date.Pay is salary, bonuses, etc.Exercised is the value of options exercised during the fiscal year.

    Where did you get the 17 mil??... but even if were that here's what it costs

    so $17,107,741 / 93813 = $182.36 per worker per YEAR...
    what's that $4 a week?????? Morons

    yeah... cut his pay in half and the workers get to take home less than a Ben Franklin after taxes for the YEAR !!!!

  17. #17
    Alloy Mcgraw is online now Stainless
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Eastern CT USA
    Posts
    1,454

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe788 View Post
    If they were facing homelessness, that thirteen bucks would look pretty damn good.

    Instead, they're facing another 12 months of grueling relaxation, collecting their jobless benefits.
    Not trying to argue here man, but this statement is a little "off". For someone to collect unemployment in the first place, they need to have worked for a certain amount of time. Not only that, but whatever they are getting as an unemployment check is based on what they made at the job they were laided off from. So if their making more then the $13/hr(Or there about) from unenploment, it's only because they made more then that at the job they worked in the first place. They don't just hand out fat checks for unenploment in my state, you have to have contributed as a tax payer for some time to qualify. I think most "Skilled workers" would rather earn their living, and take pride doing so. But insulting them at such a low wage while the Ceo is banking, is just pathetic.
    I think it's only fair to add that i have only collected unemployment once for a month or so some years back when i was in my early 20's, so things could have changed by now. But in my opinion, most "skilled workers" or "tradespeople" take pride in their work. How can you have pride when your not valued for what your worth.

  18. #18
    JoeE. is offline Stainless
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    1,753

    Default

    A female friend of mine works at a nursing home wiping asses and makes 12.20 an hour.

    There isn't much of a gap between her pay and a 13.00 an hour skilled tradesman, is there?

  19. #19
    Mebfab is online now Diamond
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Mebane North Carolina USA
    Posts
    5,170

    Default

    Outside influence, how about outsourcing and increased automation for outside influence.

    If you dont like the pay we will send it overseas or we will automate. I have seen mazaks plant in Kentucky. The only thing they dont outsource is the overpayed CEO.

    Thank you to the US trade policy and lack of industrial policy. We have had 2? 3? financial meltdowns in 10 years, all created by wall st in the quest for easy money. Vs investing in manufacturing (or just about anything productive) and slowly raising the bar for all. Vs destroying averything for everyone. Except themselves.

    I felt the same way when it was the bush nation. Clinton also.

  20. #20
    Mebfab is online now Diamond
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Mebane North Carolina USA
    Posts
    5,170

    Default

    And it doesnt matter what the ceo's pay averages out to per employee.

    It is called human nature. The ceo makes 17 mil (and frequently, if recent history is the judge, burn the company to the ground long term) and I took a pay cut to $13 an hour to actually do the work. Of course I wont be happy. Years ago I worked for a company that picked up a truckful of ex Glaxo chemists. Half pay through a temp agency. They quickly became disgruntled and sat around all day. Had to be fired or qalked out. Is it right? No, but it is what happened.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •