Apprenticeships - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 56 of 56

Thread: Apprenticeships

  1. #41
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Kolding Denmark
    Posts
    16,855
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3321
    Likes (Received)
    5195

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by michiganbuck View Post
    1) With ISO certification I would bet many USA shops provide tools.
    Yes small shops and job shops here, UK and Germany likely rely on personal tools (?).
    But I don't know if small shops in Denmark provides tools..perhaps that is regulated by law?

    2) Giving China 30 years to increase air pollution while the rest of the world struggles to reduce it is not logical.ick to those two
    I'll stick to replying to those two.

    ad 1. I'm pretty certain the vast majority of machinists in both Germany and the UK use company supplied tools and equipment. I don't think there is any "law" for or against in any country governing "own" equipment. It's sound common sense to know what your employees are using.

    Ad 2. You mean you haven't a clue as to what China is doing to reduce pollution?
    China's Surprising Solutions to Air Pollution
    China's Five Year Plan to radically tighten air pollution targets

    chinese wind turbines - Google-sogning

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    near Rockhampton, Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    5,261
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    381
    Likes (Received)
    1784

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    Are you telling me that in Australia all companies treat their workers fairly and no one gets underpaid?

    Of course many in China are poor but their numbers are getting less and less. Just think of how much their living standard has gone up the past 25+ years.
    I should have clarified, even in Australia even the lowest paid full time workers can afford an overseas holiday if they wanted. A cousin of mine on apprentice wages has already had a holiday to the US and another to Bali, bought a new 4wd car and got a loan for a house, and his trade is mechanic.

    As China gets more affluent, our country gets poorer because we are in a worse situation then the US. We have huge numbers of people with low end university degrees that results in huge amounts of administration, regulation and compliance as that is all these people who normally would have been homemakers or factory workers are capable of. Probably 1/3rd of our population could die off and we would not notice they are gone from an economic standpoint as they contribute little to nothing positive.

    Australia has shown that automation does not lead to those displaced workers moving into jobs like research or engineering or technical endeavours. They just just go sideways to the white or pink collar job of similar mental requirement. On top of that is the increase in female participation in the workforce only accelerates problems, as it leads to stupidly high house prices due to competition and now two incomes in the average family rather then one. (not that there is anything wrong with female workers, just that they should have taken the place of male workers rather then combine with them)

  3. #43
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Kolding Denmark
    Posts
    16,855
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3321
    Likes (Received)
    5195

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RC99 View Post
    I should have clarified, even in Australia even the lowest paid full time workers can afford an overseas holiday if they wanted. A cousin of mine on apprentice wages has already had a holiday to the US and another to Bali, bought a new 4wd car and got a loan for a house, and his trade is mechanic.

    As China gets more affluent, our country gets poorer because we are in a worse situation then the US. We have huge numbers of people with low end university degrees that results in huge amounts of administration, regulation and compliance as that is all these people who normally would have been homemakers or factory workers are capable of. Probably 1/3rd of our population could die off and we would not notice they are gone from an economic standpoint as they contribute little to nothing positive.

    Australia has shown that automation does not lead to those displaced workers moving into jobs like research or engineering or technical endeavours. They just just go sideways to the white or pink collar job of similar mental requirement. On top of that is the increase in female participation in the workforce only accelerates problems, as it leads to stupidly high house prices due to competition and now two incomes in the average family rather then one. (not that there is anything wrong with female workers, just that they should have taken the place of male workers rather then combine with them)
    You'll know better than I do but I don't think Australia is getting "poorer". Probably the fact is the distance between many countries is getting less than it was. That seems to have become a major shock to many Americans.

    I can even see a brighter future for Australia than the USA in the next 20 years. Many countries that have been tied (as in good relationships) to the USA are, thanks to Trump, beginning to distance themselves more and more. Apparently agreements aren't to be trusted as much as they were. Who knows what he's going to do next. I don't think he himself knows.

    11 Facts About Australia - YouTube

    What's not to like?

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Country
    CHINA
    Posts
    1,223
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    549

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    Fake news

    Seriously, here is a perfect example of why no one here believes the news, not even a little bit. All of the above is total bullshit meant to shut people up. Air pollution here has gone off the charts. It's 100 times worse than ten years ago and they aren't doing a damn thing about it.

    Wind turbines, make me laugh. Maybe six or seven years ago that was a great big thing because the gubmint was pushing it. So 400,000 companies decided they were going to make windmills. Four or five of the turbines may have actually turned three revolutions before seizing up. I personally know four or five places that were deeply into this fiasco. A friend got a job "consulting" -- actually setting up a plant to make slewing bearings. Huge famous company, they wouldn't do a damn thing he said and he's been doing bearings for fifty years. The three people at the top stole all the money and then sloughed the blame for the failure off on him. They even sued him in the US, so they could save face (and maybe keep from getting executed.) Another shop I know recently parked their three meter hobber off in the corner and bought a big spiral bevel generator instead. Wind is as dead as Abraham Lincoln here.

    All that stuff you cited is horse poop to shut people up, as we get cancer and cough ourselves to death. Every screen on the subways and in lobbies of buildings has these adorable cartoons of floating air-cleaner machines with fluffy pastel bunny-creatures grabbing dirt molecules out of the air and floating gently to earth. It's retarded. What a bunch of crap. They aren't doing shit about pollution, except for hassling some dinky factories that don't have guanxi.

    Thank god the jerk killed the Paris Accords.

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Posts
    7,710
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2238
    Likes (Received)
    2497

    Default

    QT: [You mean you haven't a clue as to what China is doing to reduce pollution?]
    Here is a clue…Rules are mostly smoke and mirrors.. Hmm mostly smoke in this case. I do hope china will clean up the mess. Agro food products from near the industrial zone are tainted with heavy metals and other bad stuff.
    Nearly 14, Companies in China Violate Pollution Rules - The New York Times
    China and India Will Continue to Increase Oil and Coal Consumption, Paris Agreement Notwithstanding - IER
    My friend’s father in law was in charge of air quality for Wayne County back in the late 80s. He had the authority to shut down a steel mill for making to much smoke. Agree China has only been in the accord since Sept 2016.


    Three Gorges hydroelectric dam was a great project..shame they did not hire some US engineers to help them avoid the cement cracks.

  6. #46
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Kolding Denmark
    Posts
    16,855
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3321
    Likes (Received)
    5195

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SeaMoss View Post
    Fake news

    Seriously, here is a perfect example of why no one here believes the news, not even a little bit. All of the above is total bullshit meant to shut people up. Air pollution here has gone off the charts. It's 100 times worse than ten years ago and they aren't doing a damn thing about it.

    Wind turbines, make me laugh. Maybe six or seven years ago that was a great big thing because the gubmint was pushing it. So 400,000 companies decided they were going to make windmills. Four or five of the turbines may have actually turned three revolutions before seizing up. I personally know four or five places that were deeply into this fiasco. A friend got a job "consulting" -- actually setting up a plant to make slewing bearings. Huge famous company, they wouldn't do a damn thing he said and he's been doing bearings for fifty years. The three people at the top stole all the money and then sloughed the blame for the failure off on him. They even sued him in the US, so they could save face (and maybe keep from getting executed.) Another shop I know recently parked their three meter hobber off in the corner and bought a big spiral bevel generator instead. Wind is as dead as Abraham Lincoln here.

    All that stuff you cited is horse poop to shut people up, as we get cancer and cough ourselves to death. Every screen on the subways and in lobbies of buildings has these adorable cartoons of floating air-cleaner machines with fluffy pastel bunny-creatures grabbing dirt molecules out of the air and floating gently to earth. It's retarded. What a bunch of crap. They aren't doing shit about pollution, except for hassling some dinky factories that don't have guanxi.

    Thank god the jerk killed the Paris Accords.
    Maybe where you live but the only time I've experienced air pollution in China was in Beijing. Rome wasn't built in a day and in fact they're still at it in Italy.

    In one post the USA is shit and in the next China is shit. How about you figure out where to live?

    Top 2 Best Countries to Live in 217 | Part 1 - YouTube

  7. #47
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Kolding Denmark
    Posts
    16,855
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3321
    Likes (Received)
    5195

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by michiganbuck View Post
    Three Gorges hydroelectric dam was a great project..shame they did not hire some US engineers to help then avoid the cement cracks.
    Have sailed that trip and it was great.

    A tour of the Three Gorges Dam - YouTube

    Three Gorges Dam Project - YouTube

  8. Likes michiganbuck liked this post
  9. #48
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Posts
    7,710
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2238
    Likes (Received)
    2497

    Default

    QT; SeaMoss [and maybe keep from getting executed.] Strict rules might help here...There are some real Bozoes in government and business here.
    Bozos.. clowns and crooks in high places.

  10. #49
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Country
    CHINA
    Posts
    1,223
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    549

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    Maybe where you live but the only time I've experienced air pollution in China was in Beijing.
    Thanks. Good thing I have you around to tell me how great the air is.

    dammit.jpg

  11. #50
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Posts
    7,710
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2238
    Likes (Received)
    2497

    Default

    World air quality map
    Berkeley Earth

  12. #51
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Kolding Denmark
    Posts
    16,855
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3321
    Likes (Received)
    5195

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SeaMoss View Post
    Thanks. Good thing I have you around to tell me how great the air is.

    dammit.jpg
    I didn't write that YOUR air was great. I've experienced air pollution in Beijing but not in Shanghai. Maybe I'm just lucky

    If air pollution was bad all the time wouldn't people move?

  13. #52
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Kolding Denmark
    Posts
    16,855
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3321
    Likes (Received)
    5195

    Default

    And getting back to "apprenticeships".

    In another forum and thread a member implied that their machinists couldn't be trusted to measure correctly and therefor had to use gauges.

    If ever there was a time for machinist training then that's a classical example. Assuming American machinists aren't stupid then management must be.

    I'm starting to understand why the expression "button pusher" is used by some on some working in industry. The USA isn't sagging behind - it's running backwards.

    How many of you have been abroad and seen how machinists there work? Machinists are like products. You get what you pay for. I can't imagine a machinist here not being trusted to measure.

    Of course there are many excellent machinists in the USA but good machinists in other countries are outnumbering you.

  14. #53
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Kolding Denmark
    Posts
    16,855
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3321
    Likes (Received)
    5195

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by michiganbuck View Post
    World air quality map
    Berkeley Earth
    I find others more informative but don't trust or believe any 100%.

    NASA | Human Fingerprint on Global Air Quality - YouTube

    1 Countries That Emit The Most Pollution - YouTube

    Top 1 Cleanest Countries - YouTube

  15. #54
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Country
    CHINA
    Posts
    1,223
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    549

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    If air pollution was bad all the time wouldn't people move?
    Of the people who can, a lot do. I can think of several foreigners who left China for that reason. One in particular who liked living here but took his daughter to the hospital three times in one year for breathing problems.

    Much as people hate the EPA, it's better than dying from pollution.

  16. #55
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    near Rockhampton, Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    5,261
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    381
    Likes (Received)
    1784

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    You'll know better than I do but I don't think Australia is getting "poorer". Probably the fact is the distance between many countries is getting less than it was. That seems to have become a major shock to many Americans.

    I can even see a brighter future for Australia than the USA in the next 20 years.

    We have an oversupply of educated idiots, the highest debt to gdp in the world (your country comes second) A persistently high unemployment and underemployment. Industries are regulated to death to pay for the now educated people who should be doing factory jobs.

    People seem to live in this fantasy land where every person is capable of very high end engineering and scientific research. When reality is most of the population is average.

    If some calamity happened and we were unable to import anything we would be really really fucked.

    In four days time we will not even make any cars here, but over a million new cars sell here every year. We have sold our soul for a short term higher standard of living paid for by riding a debt induced wave of prosperity.

  17. #56
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Posts
    7,710
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2238
    Likes (Received)
    2497

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RC99 View Post
    We have an oversupply of educated idiots, the highest debt to gdp in the world (your country comes second) A persistently high unemployment and underemployment. Industries are regulated to death to pay for the now educated people who should be doing factory jobs.

    People seem to live in this fantasy land where every person is capable of very high end engineering and scientific research. When reality is most of the population is average.

    If some calamity happened and we were unable to import anything we would be really really fucked.

    In four days time we will not even make any cars here, but over a million new cars sell here every year. We have sold our soul for a short term higher standard of living paid for by riding a debt induced wave of prosperity.
    Agree with that and selling out the country for land-fill stuff.. Just like here in the USA.


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •