What's new
What's new

CE mark and Brexit.

Miguels244

Diamond
One of the best things about the EU is the harmonized system.
By getting a CE certification you could sell anywhere in the EU.
I remember before the CE mark how much of a pain in the ass it could be to sell into Europe.

I wonder...now that the Brexiters are preparing to kill all the EU regs if they will have their own happy crappy requirements.

Ugh.

The CE people show up when you want them, and are willing to work with you. The UL people can be more of a ... challenge. Thus CE and not UL marks.

Brexit or not, one can still call up CE and have them supply a useful result at some bearable cost.

Brexit or not, one can still call up CE and have them supply a useful result at some bearable cost.

Me thinks you're not up to speed as far as the OP is concerned.

If you just read the last line of the post:

I wonder...now that the Brexiters are preparing to kill all the EU regs if they will have their own happy crappy requirements.

Ugh.

You'd know that the entire purpose of the thread is :stirthepot:

Me, I'll just :popcorn:, wait and see what happens when the folks on the other side of the pond wake up and read it before their first cup of tea...

Brexit and everything connected with it is going to give European politicians (and no matter what the UK will still be a country in Europe) a severe headache for a very long time.

CE marking is a very minor issue/problem than trying to settle the divorce amicably while not giving the UK any advantages that would make other EU countries think seriously about following the UK. OTOH pissing Brits off isn't a good idea either or even those that voted to stay will close ranks with those that didn't.

The best thing that could happen, but won't, is that the EU went back to free trade and forgot all about trying to unite the countries in Europe through laws and regulations the vast majority of citizens don't want or like.

The point where "enough is enough" was passed long ago. The sad part is that it was passed without EU politicians and bureaucrats noticing it. Probably not easy when living in an ivory tower.

As nowadays all CE stands for is 'China Export' and off shore manufacturers just print the labels it won't make a jot of difference.

Quite reasonably though, mainland Europe that is still in the EU will have every right to insist on certification to their required standards, just as our exports to the USA require their certification.

On the other hand, all the imports from the EU to the UK will require our certification, and there are MANY more imports from the EU so the politicians will need to stop making stances and actually work together constructively.

The use of the CE system has nothing to do with Brexit nor is it a list of standards. The CE label simply states that it complies to a ISO standard, not all applicable standards, just one will do. A purchaser can request a copy of that certificate, but only then will the purchaser know what that compliance is. Further, the responsibility of CE certification does NOT belong to the manufacturer. It is the responsibility of the IMPORTER. However, it is normal that the manufacturer pays for certification if they expect to sell the product in Europe.

Point is this.
Prior to harmonization each nation had its own rules.
Italy had different rule for import than France or Germany.
CE allows a single design and cert across the EU.
Those rules were often used as trade barriers.

I hope we aren't facing that again, it really made it a pain.

Back