What's new
What's new

China launches direct rail freight service to London.

Because of the different railway gauges involved, the containers need to be reloaded at various points.

Surprised they don't invent a way to change the gauge as needed. Perhaps go off on a gauging track to widen or narrow the gauge. Ops

Because of the different railway gauges involved, the containers need to be reloaded at various points.

Surprised they don't invent a way to change the gauge as needed. Perhaps go off on a gauging track to widen or narrow the gauge. Ops

Containerization - and easy handling - having grown and prospered, track gauge is no longer as critical.

I've heard it referred to as the New Silk Road and some economists are predicting a major shakeup in the world economy as a result. It's very clear that while the Chinese may appear to be taking a short-term view in some areas they are clearly planning for the future.

Changing wheelsets at the Sino-Mongolian border.

WheelChanging.jpg

Eurasian Land Bridge - Wikipedia

This is a huge infrastructure project, just now getting underway.

I very much want to make this trip in a passenger coach, while it is still nostalgic.

I've heard it referred to as the New Silk Road and some economists are predicting a major shakeup in the world economy as a result. It's very clear that while the Chinese may appear to be taking a short-term view in some areas they are clearly planning for the future.

Ukraine and other 'Southern border' countries have signed-on to it so as to bypass the Russian Federation's paws and claws. China is of course, making itself helpful to those countries at around the same time.

Ergo it has already started to make a change that tilts the balance of dependency as well as raw economics.

Bill

Containerization - and easy handling - having grown and prospered, track gauge is no longer as critical.

Bedside reader for this month is "the box"...very good write up on the cargo container, and all it's changes it has driven through out the world.
Books | Marc Levinson

I wonder if they will make a conex box where you park your car inside, have
a nice motel room at one end, some nice windows too ?

I suspect it would make train travel more popular.

Changing wheelsets at the Sino-Mongolian border.

WheelChanging.jpg

Eurasian Land Bridge - Wikipedia

This is a huge infrastructure project, just now getting underway.

I very much want to make this trip in a passenger coach, while it is still nostalgic.

Nope. First that is a passenger car. Passenger equipment might have the trucks changed to avoid inconveniencing the passengers plus the equipment is usually dedicated to that run. Source I found, (not Wikipedia) says that they have changed containers to another train in as little as 47 minutes. Changing trucks won't work because there are 3 coupling systems involved as well as differing brake systems.

I wonder if they will make a conex box where you park your car inside, have a nice motel room at one end, some nice windows too ?

Trans-European intermodal now has CargoBeamer,

44054_600.jpg

and RoRo with drivers accommodation in separate carriages:

p1050943-33370276.jpg

Truck drivers hit the rails and take a break.

I suspect it would make train travel more popular.

We take the RoRo (RhB Vereina Tunnel) with our car all the time, especially in the Winter since the passes aren't maintained after rail tunnels are completed.

I drive a big sedan with double glass in all the windows. It is still very loud in a semi-open wagon in a rail tunnel. You don't appreciate just how quiet a passenger coach is until you've been through a tunnel in your car.

Back