What's new
What's new

Chinese company knocks off Ford F150

... May they burst into flames while rolling through the production line, killing or maiming all involved with their inception, but not before they inhale the fumes of the lead based paint used...

A boy can dream, y'know... :D

Well, there won't be any mistaking which one you're in once you actually try to go anywhere:

"Word has it the 4R3 will be powered by a 2.8-liter diesel four-cylinder engine generating just 108 horsepower and 177 pound-feet of torque"

Regards.

Mike

I didn't hear any complaints when Ford copied the Honda Accord. Why? Everybody knew that it just looked like an Accord, it didn't perform like one.

Well, there won't be any mistaking which one you're in once you actually try to go anywhere:

"Word has it the 4R3 will be powered by a 2.8-liter diesel four-cylinder engine generating just 108 horsepower and 177 pound-feet of torque"

Regards.

Mike

If it's the 2 wheel drive version, and not jacked 6' up in the air, I'll bet
it will scoot along just fine at around 25 mpg.

... May they burst into flames while rolling through the production line, killing or maiming all involved with their inception, but not before they inhale the fumes of the lead based paint used...

That already happens on a daily basis. But they sweep the bodies away, and the products still show up at Walmart, Home Depot and Harbor Freight.

Cost of doing business... ;)

You all are joshin' now, but just wait 'till Walmart starts importing and selling them at the local supercenter.

And don't think they won't, if they can get them for a good price.

Toss a little turbo on that and it would make a really nice 1/2 ton pickup.

Though its not like an F150 is actually a pickup anymore, its more of a Ranchero, at least the ones in the early 2000's were. I couldn't even tell you what a new F150 looks like.

Obviously, anyplace with a functioning legal system, Ford will be able to sue. And, depending on the laws, probably block sales.
Ford has had factories in South Africa, Argentina (1917), Thailand (1960), Brazil (1919) and various other countries around the world, and, in countries where they employ a lot of people, they tend to have some legal clout.
Equally obviously, intellectual property laws in Europe and the USA would prevent these from being sold in those areas.

So realistically, they will be sold in China, and a few oddball poor countries around the world. They are not any actual financial threat to Ford, and nobody is going to confuse the two.

Also- there are a lot of people, even in the USA, who would really like a Ford truck with a little 4 banger diesel in em...
Maybe Ford should take a cue from this- although the current generation of Rangers, made in places like Thailand, do come with 4 banger diesels, they just dont meet US air pollution standards.

If you look at the side views, its a long way from a "clone". More like a distorted xerox, maybe. Looks kinda Nissan-like to me, in profile.

Also- there are a lot of people, even in the USA, who would really like a Ford truck with a little 4 banger diesel in em...

I hate that the europeans get all the cool diesel cars. I'd take a little 3 or 4 cylinder diesel vehicle any day. Get a zillion miles to the gallon. I drive like a grandma so I don't give a shit about HP. My days of driving around like a dip shit are long gone.

You all are joshin' now, but just wait 'till Walmart starts importing and selling them at the local supercenter.

And don't think they won't, if they can get them for a good price.

Sadly you are right and I bet thy will sell a bunch of them to.

Marci

So realistically, they will be sold in China, and a few oddball poor countries around the world. They are not any actual financial threat to Ford, and nobody is going to confuse the two.

naturally, Ford, and GM etc all would like to sell a bunch of cars/trucks in china.... even if they make the cars/trucks there.

That might just cut into the business a bit. Ford et al might not like that, but it will happen and won't be stopped.

china still has no functioning legal system, despite having had (considerably prior to the revolution) the oldest merit-based government recruitment system in the world. And a court system with apparently a quite reasonable record of just decisions, given that corruption was a normal fact in the empire (as it is in every government on earth).

I have SEEN the copied goods.... my prior employer went from selling several million bucks of made-in-USA product in china to selling zip when the products were widely copied and the REAL products were assumed to be just more of the crappy copies. it was really hard to see the difference unless you KNEW how they were supposed to be made.

Don't anyone bother telling me it doesn't happen. Anyone who does can go wipe their nose on a donkey's ass.

Just goes to show they run short in the imagination department. That is one things I see every day in college.... foreign students (read Asian) have little to no imagination when it comes to problem solving or original design. Yeah you'll get the one once in a while that has a unique ability to design some awesome structures but really they suck at it.

Maybe Ford should take a cue from this- although the current generation of Rangers, made in places like Thailand, do come with 4 banger diesels, they just dont meet US air pollution standards.

Ford drops a 3.9L Cummins 4 cyclinder into the F250/F350 in Brazil. I was seriously looking at this engine for repowering my LR Defender.
Ford Caminhões

Cummins now makes a line of 4 cyl diesels in China that is high HP for on highway applications while their traditional 4 cylinders which are marketed towards commerical/industrial users are low on HP for on-highway use. But you can crank the HP up on these traditional Cummins 4 cylinders.

I would ideally love to put the 3.3L 4 cyclinder Komatsu makes for Cummins, into my Defender 110

naturally, Ford, and GM etc all would like to sell a bunch of cars/trucks in china.... even if they make the cars/trucks there.

That might just cut into the business a bit. Ford et al might not like that, but it will happen and won't be stopped.

china still has no functioning legal system, despite having had (considerably prior to the revolution) the oldest merit-based government recruitment system in the world. And a court system with apparently a quite reasonable record of just decisions, given that corruption was a normal fact in the empire (as it is in every government on earth).

I have SEEN the copied goods.... my prior employer went from selling several million bucks of made-in-USA product in china to selling zip when the products were widely copied and the REAL products were assumed to be just more of the crappy copies. it was really hard to see the difference unless you KNEW how they were supposed to be made.

Don't anyone bother telling me it doesn't happen. Anyone who does can go wipe their nose on a donkey's ass.

China has no respect for intellectual property rights. What is surprising to me is that I expected them to be too embrassed to blatantly rip off other people's designs.
Previous ripoff from the same company (JAC).
JAC 4R3: China clones the Ford F-150 | Car Advice
jac-pick-upchevyclone.jpg

BYD-S8-coupembclone.jpg

Even prominent Chinese car makers like Geely have copied foreign designs.
Rolls-Royce considers legal action against £30,000 Chinese copycat - Telegraph

Rolls-Royce considering trademark suit against Geely GE

There are more cases of Chinese ripping off the design of well known Western and Japanese car makers.

Lookee there.....
China built the truck 80% of Americans that drive trucks should be driving. Most USA drivers do not need 300+HP and it would do everybody good if we were getting closer to 30-35 MPG not 16.

The govt has plans to require 54MPG from the US automakers......they'd have an easier time of it if they used a diesel platform....

Chi-com diesel? Probably a copy of some engine they stole. doesn't inspire confidence. Not a 500,000 mile machine I Bet.

Lookee there.....
China built the truck 80% of Americans that drive trucks should be driving. Most USA drivers do not need 300+HP and it would do everybody good if we were getting closer to 30-35 MPG not 16.

The govt has plans to require 54MPG from the US automakers......they'd have an easier time of it if they used a diesel platform....

Ford already build a 4 cylinder Cummins powered F250/F350 for the Brazilian market. I recal it was 200 HP and 400 ft lbs.

And then you get to pay 50 to 75 cents more per gallon than regular gas... except if everybody drove diesel vehicles it would be more like $1.00 more per gallon extra for diesel fuel due to increased demand... :rolleyes5:

Back