Current market fluctuation and pricing given political climate. - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by OldSquier View Post
    You know, I've had your "please refrain from insults" bullshit right out my ass. You cry foul then use words like "donkey fucker"? You are without a doubt the most stupendous cocksucker I have ever encountered. Your ploy of posing a pile of chickenshit questions while never responding to questions put to you has worn a little fucking thin as well. Furthermore, I've called you out repeatedly about your academic credentials since you so vociferously criticise mine. I know why you are mum on the subject dickweed. It's because you attended some half-assed junior college where you majored in Bowling, if you have any higher education at all.
    Please refrain from the the name calling,insults and hyperbole. I haven't been rude or insulting to either of you despite your repeated behaviour to the contrary.
    I did not claim anyone was anything, it was a clearly stated "what if" to make a point. For anyone bored enough to be following the bouncing ball, presumably the point was made.

How do you feel about negative generalizing? I'm surprised you're not critical of this behaviour.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wyoming
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well, so much for market fluctuation and pricing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldwrench View Post
    yes seem like it's time for a lock down

it's gotten to the children bickering stage

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldwrench View Post

yeah well, someone should say something when BS like that gets posted.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mcgyver View Post
    Please refrain from the the name calling,insults and hyperbole. I haven't been rude or insulting to either of you despite your repeated behaviour to the contrary.
    I did not claim anyone was anything, it was a clearly stated "what if" to make a point. For anyone bored enough to be following the bouncing ball, presumably the point was made.

How do you feel about negative generalizing? I'm surprised you're not critical of this behaviour.
    I for one think it's really funny. There was a man on a Usenet forum years ago who used to apply what he called the 'BBQ test' - flip it over and see what it's like from the other side.

Both Gordon & OldSquier have very, very thin skins...... they don't like where your questions lead them so *of course* they attack the source. It's easier than examining their assumptions.

This is the very behaviour that got Socrates voted the hemlock. Here, you get screams for you to STFU.

Keep prodding, I think it's highly entertaining. I often disagree with you, but I can follow your logic.

PDW

6. Likes Modelman, camscan, Mcgyver, Dave D, daredo222 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Please refrain from insults, name calling, personal attacks etc.

Relax. I didn't claim it, its a what if scenario. Look at your reaction....

I think the point has been made. After being the recipient, how do feel about making negative generalizations now? Its not ok just because it was an opinion is it?
    You're outa your f*ckin' mind. BTW that's not a "what if" but I did manage to write "what if".

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 72bwhite View Post
    yes seem like it's time for a lock down

it's gotten to the children bickering stage
    I agree so I've put mcgyver on "ignore". If he did the same with me we could all "live happily ever afterwards"

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The stagnation of manufacturing wages here along with rising wages elsewhere has made the pull back to USA in manufacturing attractive.
    Labor unions here have taken a real beating for a while and right or wrong one can have no doubt this has shifted the power.
    30 dollar union jobs in my area are now 15. Offshore wages are rising. Shipping is going up.

Both of these things are historical, were coming and have nothing to do with who the POTUS is.
    I think and see some elation and hopefulness of people who move market money in hope of tax and regulation reform now fueling some of the market rise but most is more based on coming out of recession (depression?) and hope that the consumer will spend.
    Big trucks and SUVs sell at a rate that production capacity has a hard time matching. One sees this during booms so a lot of the public has gotten over the fears installed by the crash and doom and gloom cloud that has gripped us.

My opinion (yup have one, stinks like all other's) and guessing is a normal market correction coming but not a crash.
    One unknown is sparking a trade war but as much as people talk chit in DC to the masses and we like to trash them they are actually smart people and I don't see them walking into this.

I see us on the uphill side of the curve now with it's expected bumps. Have never seen or thought the president and friends have much control over the actual long term trend of the economy.
    Certainly some creative mortgage people nobody knows did do much damage and made tons of cash.
    A no lose bet where you actually made more money if the loans went bad. In effect many laid their money against the US public and homeowners as it was the smart thing to do if sitting on capital.
    Has any government person or related group of friends ever have this intent or effect?

Our pain and the others gain seems to me to have reached a tipping point. I am optimistic for the first time in a long while.
    Bob

10. Likes 72bwhite, Oldwrench liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PDW View Post
    I for one think it's really funny.
    lol, I'm glad you enjoyed last nights show....playing the straight-man, Gordon B Clark, with his trusty sidekick Old Squire.

I think its wrong to generalize on the moral fiber of an entire group with no information or rational to back it up. It makes us worse and is only 1/2 a degree away from it being ok to say "All______________ are ___________. I didn't start by saying it was wrong, I started asking questions...thinking maybe a different tact would work. I did no name calling, insults or personal attacks. As you noticed I received endless posts of insults, name calling and hyperbole. I have tediously pulled it OT (sorry, although it was going there anyway), but I guess I thought we weren't going to get a decent discussion in any event so long as that sort of nonsense is considered acceptable.

It would be a dull world if we all agreed. However we should be able to discuss based on facts, knowledge, rational etc and have an open enough mind willing to change if the other persons position is compelling.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    You're outa your f*ckin' mind. BTW that's not a "what if" but I did manage to write "what if".
    Please refrain from insults and name calling, they do not advance the conversation or your point. I have done nothing to insult you and have only asked simple questions relative to what you have posted. Re-read my post. What I wrote was very clearly a what if, "If someone said, would it be ok?". Complete with question mark and then my immediate statement that it would not be ok. It was very clear it was "what if" not a "claim".

If your kid said "I crashed the car", its a very different conversation than "if someone crashed the car"

So how to do you feel about unsubstantiated generalizations, when they're directed to a group you identify being part of?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    The stagnation of manufacturing wages here along with rising wages elsewhere has made the pull back to USA in manufacturing attractive.
    Labor unions here have taken a real beating for a while and right or wrong one can have no doubt this has shifted the power.
    30 dollar union jobs in my area are now 15. Offshore wages are rising. Shipping is going up.
    Bob
    Keep going in that direction and workers in Bangladesh will start worrying.

Kan you name a country, apart from apparently the USA, where wages are going down?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

No, disagree totally if politely, on facts.

Lower US wages, of lower US education, from lower US regulation, leads to ...
    ... more assembly-line or fruit-picker jobs, of marginal use, no living wage, decreasing national prosperity.
    This is a major loss to the US economy, and the avg. US person.
    Importantly a more wealthy avg. US worker, will benefit the country a lot, overall.

US union jobs at 15$ are a catastrophe.
    What You WANT, what You should look for, are union jobs at 40$ producing 100$.
    Tesla, SpaceX, japanese auto plants, new robot factories, facebook, google, all produce these.

President and friends DECIDE if a country has positive or negative funding, political investment climate, repatriation of funds/income/benefits for companies.
    Responsibility for externalities.
    Etc.
    Most critical job there is.

Hardest job there is, as well.
    The job of the president is to make the best choices for the country.

The best choices for the country are directly opposed to private entrenched interests.
    It is best for the country if there is more (at lower costs);
    -education,
    -competition,
    -clean air/less pollution,
    -lower healthcare costs,
    etc.

The US is the leading oecd country in allowing industry/companies/money to influence elections.
    This leads to corporate-presidents by fiat.

But the job of the president should be to maximize benefits for the nation, not the rich elite.

Note.
    I did not make any comment on any president, their results, or desirability of same.
    I made zero critique of any person or any system in particular.

I see us on the uphill side of the curve now with it's expected bumps. Have never seen or thought the president and friends have much control over the actual long term trend of the economy.
    Has any government person or related group of friends ever have this intent or effect?

Bob

14. Likes Mcgyver liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There has actually been real (after inflation) wage gains for several years in the US. United States Wages and Salaries Growth | 196-217 | Data | Chart

I acknowledge that that is sidestepping a bit as its not specific to manufacturing.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hey guys, lets keep this more on topic. At least one member knew where I was headed with this and PM'd. Just seems to me that the "smartest guys in the room" know well in advance of us that something is about to happen and prepare for it, or make it happen...even by mistake. Like a self fulfilling prophecy.

Either way, when wal-mart was starting to re-shore and pull out of china a couple years ago made my ears perk up. Just like when we decided to become pals with Cuba again....

Again, the few guys going back and forth adds nothing to the threads topic, perhaps others but not really here. I didn't start a thread about wages or taxes.

17. Likes Oldwrench liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Many threads devolve into a political circle jerk. When things are slow in the circle jerk world, they'll start threads just to circle jerk. If you start a thread with a title that contains the word "political", the chances of the circle jerks finding the thread and turning it into a circle jerk are very high.

19. Likes Oldwrench liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wyoming
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cellardoor7 View Post
    Many threads devolve into a political circle jerk. When things are slow in the circle jerk world, they'll start threads just to circle jerk. If you start a thread with a title that contains the word "political", the chances of the circle jerks finding the thread and turning it into a circle jerk are very high.
    What did you expect? Or did you intend to demonstrate why this subforum is avoided by PM members who spend their lives actually manufacturing stuff as opposed to honing their dialectic skills? Blaming the rich-American-exploiters-of-the-proletariat is a GIVEN. It's their default setting. But, by all means, keep it going; the "Insane president" thread is over 500 posts and its entertainment value approaches that of excellent political satire--depending on your point of view, of course. I guess to them it's not funny.

21. Likes Mcgyver, PDW liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There has actually been real (after inflation) wage gains for several years in the US. United States Wages and Salaries Growth | 196-217 | Data | Chart

I acknowledge that that is sidestepping a bit as its not specific to manufacturing.
    "They say these are the good times.
    But they don't live around here"-

Warren Zevon , The Indifference of Heaven.

Which is a great song, and also true.
    Wages have come up, a bit, lately, in some parts of the USA. Usually, those are the parts where cost of living went up even more.
    Plenty of towns in rural america where manufacturing jobs still pay seven fifty an hour.
    Things like mig welding pellet stoves all day.
    And, mysteriously, even in those areas, new F150's cost the same $35,000 they cost in the Silicon Valley.

I am in agreement with Hanermo- if we want to prosper, we need to encourage jobs that pay $40 an hour. And its do-able- we see it in some parts of the USA, and in many other countries- it takes targeted tax regulations, investment laws, and government assistance to get started, the same way the US government spend billions and billions to launch the CNC machine tool industry, the jet aircraft industry, lasers, satellites, the internet, cell phones, GPS, and on and on and on.

23. Likes JoeE. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ries View Post

I am in agreement with Hanermo- if we want to prosper, we need to encourage jobs that pay $40 an hour.
    That would be great.
    Now do you run a shop with employees?
    Do you pay them $40 per hour plus vacation, health care and other bennies.
    Should we spend more effort encouraging the young to go into finance where it does pay this rate?

25. Likes Oldwrench, SeymourDumore liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ries View Post
    if we want to prosper, we need to encourage jobs that pay $40 an hour. .

And that's coming from a guy who have professed to prefer buying his boots from an online source rather than a brick-and-mortar outlet where
    they can be tested and properly fitted to his feet, and when done, taken home that afternoon to be walking in it comfortably that evening....

Despicable!!! ( and I truly mean it Ries ! )

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That would be great.
    Now do you run a shop with employees?
    Do you pay them $40 per hour plus vacation, health care and other bennies.
    Should we spend more effort encouraging the young to go into finance where it does pay this rate?
    A great illustration of how things elsewhere gets misunderstood.

Shops and companies outside the USA DON'T pay for "vacation, health care and other bennies". Part of what you pay in taxes from the $40 an hour (didn't help to start at that) finances that. Shops and companies can concentrate on doing and making what they do.

Even if the USA decided to do as most other countries do it isn't a sudden change. It takes decades and decades. It isn't done by pushing a button or electing a new president.

As I mentioned a few weeks ago our employer unions and employee unions have agreed that wages will increase by about 7% over the next 3 years. Even those that aren't union members will get the same.

Collective Bargaining / Denmark / Countries / National Industrial Relations / Home - WORKER PARTICIPATION.eu

It does surprise me that in the USA health care, vacation and many other benefits seem dependent on where you work. Why should that have anything to do with where you work?

BTW what I've written isn't "socialism". Try "common sense" and "working together and not against".

28. Likes JoeE. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SeymourDumore View Post
    And that's coming from a guy who have professed to prefer buying his boots from an online source rather than a brick-and-mortar outlet where
    they can be tested and properly fitted to his feet, and when done, taken home that afternoon to be walking in it comfortably that evening....

Despicable!!! ( and I truly mean it Ries ! )
    And you buy your meat from sources where you know each animal has been patted on the head and wished "sleep tight"? Don't you ever get tired of eating Kobe steaks?

From many of the threads and posts it seems to many to be about buying cheap and if it's used that's OK too as long as it's cheap.