What's new
What's new

does Snap-on make anything in Kenosha?

cyanidekid

Titanium
totally aside from the fact that few real tool users get suckered by Snap-on overpriced BS tools, do they actually MAKE anything at the "factory" DT visited yesterday?

Can't answer the OP's question but in a way I agree about the overpriced BS tools. But being a truck mechanic in another long ago life, I had a mixture of Snap-On and Craftsman tools, and always seemed to pull out the Snap-on first, especially the wrenches. Something about the balance and feel in the hand, they felt good to use. I always considered the price to reflect that the majority of buyers always bought on credit and the interest was included in that price. Even though I could buy the stuff cash up front, I always paid it out weekly....excuse to buy more stuff :)

totally aside from the fact that few real tool users get suckered by Snap-on overpriced BS tools, do they actually MAKE anything at the "factory" DT visited yesterday?

Yeah, that isn't true. Very many real tool users love snapon. I am next to a mechanics shop and all 5 of their mechanics have large supplies of Snapon tools.

Yeah, that isn't true. Very many real tool users love snapon. I am next to a mechanics shop and all 5 of their mechanics have large supplies of Snapon tools.
+1. Friend who has built AMA Nationals winners has nothing but Snap-On. Another friend who's won dozens of midget races, same. Me, one crummy little drawer of wrenches but yeah. Snap-On.

They are nice.

I'm curious. Is part of their popularity based on the convenience of having the truck come by? Do they have any other incentives, like low interest terms, or anything? Can you buy Snap-On anywhere except their trucks?

Edit: I do see that Amazon carries some...

+1. Friend who has built AMA Nationals winners has nothing but Snap-On. Another friend who's won dozens of midget races, same. Me, one crummy little drawer of wrenches but yeah. Snap-On.

They are nice.
I think the situation is they are at least adequate for purpose, and easy to buy off the truck. Convenience is everything.

But the question was, do they make them in Kenosha? :skep:

Dennis

I think the situation is they are at least adequate for purpose, and easy to buy off the truck. Convenience is everything.

But the question was, do they make them in Kenosha? :skep:

Dennis

why dont you ask snap on ??
many companies manufacturer some stuff and buy from others who put their name on it like Craftsman. so often it can matter which tool you are talking about.
even a particular tool often is manufactured by many companies.
a company if setup to produce 1000 tools a year might out source some production if they have so many orders they cannot keep up but do not want to permanently increase production. quit common for companies setup to produce just enough in a Recession but outsource during a better economy so they do not lay off their permanent employees

Listed below are the primary North American manufacturing locations.

Algona, Iowa
Tool storage units

City of Industry, California
Torque measuring products, calibrating equipment and specialty tools

Conway, Arkansas
Under-car service equipment

Elizabethton, Tennessee
Hand tools

Elkmont, Alabama
Hand tools

Louisville, Kentucky
Vehicle lifts

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Hand tools

Murphy, North Carolina
Power Tools

I toured there Milwaukee plant during my apprenticeship.
The guys forgeing the wrenches sure earned their money,hot,dirty,fast-paced hard work.
Pull a bunch of red hot blanks from the furnace for the guy running the press, he tongs them into first station,bam,second station,bam,third station, bam, trim station, bam, as fast as he could. Each stroke of the press shook the floor.

many complex items like a car the percentage made in any country is hard to determine.
where is steel or castings made ?
where are parts machined ?
where are parts assembled ?
where are parts packaged ?
minor parts like nuts and bolts, bearings, raw plastic and rubber and finished parts of plastic and rubber, etc where are they made ?
i once had to order 100% peroxide cured epdm rubber. i was told they mix in recycled material and often they are not sure if some sulfur cured epdm rubber got mixed in. and the raw epdm rubber was made by different company that made sheets of epdm rubber. the the exact recipe is a trade secret and basically told it was none of my business. if i wanted guaranteed 100% peroxide cured epdm rubber i would have to order tons as they dont make custom small amounts. also they often mix in talc or stuff that aint exactly rubber. sometimes it is for improved moldability

I toured there Milwaukee plant during my apprenticeship.
The guys forgeing the wrenches sure earned their money,hot,dirty,fast-paced hard work.
Pull a bunch of red hot blanks from the furnace for the guy running the press, he tongs them into first station,bam,second station,bam,third station, bam, trim station, bam, as fast as he could. Each stroke of the press shook the floor.

How many years/months ago was that?

where items are produced often changes week to week.
for example big machine shut down for repairs and production stops. out sourced supplier asked to supply 100% instead of only say 20% of production. companies balance where items produced weekly and sometimes even daily it changes as needed.

How many years/months ago was that?

In the 90's.
They added on in 2013:Kenosha-based Snap-on Inc. is expanding its hand tool manufacturing plant located at 7901 N. Faulkner Road in Milwaukee.

The $2.6 million expansion includes adding 25,000-square-feet to its existing 125,000-square-foot building, a holding pond and expanded the parking lot.

I buy a lot of that overpriced bs... and its worth every penny. I can buy Mac, Matco, or Cornwell from a truck. I can buy everything else from Amazon and wouldn't buy craftsman anymore if it came with a happy ending. Craftsman used to be good, now it is one wrung above Harbor Fright. That will hopefully change now that Mac's parent company is buying the name.

Snap On vs cheaper brands is a lot like say DMG vs Haas... they both do the same thing, but if you base your decision anything but money the choice is easy.

I buy a lot of that overpriced bs... and its worth every penny. I can buy Mac, Matco, or Cornwell from a truck. I can buy everything else from Amazon and wouldn't buy craftsman anymore if it came with a happy ending. Craftsman used to be good, now it is one wrung above Harbor Fright. That will hopefully change now that Mac's parent company is buying the name.

Snap On vs cheaper brands is a lot like say DMG vs Haas... they both do the same thing, but if you base your decision anything but money the choice is easy.
Agree; I happen to believe in this instance you get what you pay for. I bought a comprehensive Snap On starter set years ago when I was making money and have zero complaints. I have proven time and again that the life time guarantee others have isn't worth a dime if the tool will not do the job. I watched a fellow split open 3 Craftsman 5/8"-1/2" drive sockets trying to take a head off of a chevy small block. He could have taken them back to the store all month long for replacements and still had to use my Snap On socket in order to get it done?
I have bought several used Snap On roll around tool boxes and even the ones that have a bad slide or something, getting a replacement part is free. One of these days I want to get new locks for all that take the same key, I expect that to be at my expense as it should be.
Dan

I have to confess I am one of those idiots that believe Snap-On hand tools are superior to the rest. I have Proto, Channel-loc, and US made Vise-grips as well. These brands are IMHO the "best" hand tools you can buy. I have been turning wrenches for 45 years, never cared for Craftsman, Mac was not widely sold where I lived.

My dad bought me a Proto master wrench set for my 13th birthday. When I was 19-20 working at a dealership I started buying Snap-On. While Proto wrenches and sockets are good quality, I found places where a Snap-on tool could get better access or farther range of motion. I still have and use my hand tools nearly every day.

I do have some Martin and Fairmount wrenches for machines and some other brands but 90+ % of my hand tools are old Snap-On and Proto.

Steve

Look in an IndyCar mechanic's box....Snap On. My Indy 500 winners ring was won with Snap On tools. I have been a Snap On user since the early 70's. Expensive? Yes, worth it? Absolutely. Use craftsman tools all day, all those sharp edges wreak havoc on your hands. Snap On tools will get into places no other wrenches will get into. My tools have earned me many times what they cost, I'll keep on buying Snap On.

Back