What's new
What's new

New business and Kickstarter Funding

thedave

Cast Iron
Disclaimer: This is both a shameless plug and viable way to test product sales

We all know how difficult transitioning from a day job to your own business is. I created a product that I couldn't afford to produce on my own and launched it on Kickstater. My goal is to raise $1 Million. Will it works, who know, I think (and Hope) it will. I am producing as much as I can in the US, and using good parts where I can't. I plan to be fairly transparent in the process, from production to shipping, Nothing I'm doing is rocket surgery. I think that crowd source funding for niche and high quality products will be more important in the future. It will be an interesting ride.

Link for those interested: Kickstarter Link

GearDocker-and-iMac.jpgGear_Docker_Plus.jpgGear_Docker_Plus_FB.jpgGearDockerPlus-and-MacBookPro.jpg

Good luck with your project.

I'm interested to see where this leads and in kickstarter in general.

I only have a passing knowledge of kickstarter, and none in apple docking solutions :) ...

but from what I can tell you're looking for too much $$$ and you aren't hooked up to facebook. Again, no experience here.

Hopefully you have a way (ways) other than PM to help this thing go 'viral'.

-James

Nice looking project!

Just curious will the version with the usb hub work with pc's as well as mac's?

I've never heard of the kickstarter website. It looks like a great idea, hopefully it works out for you.

For the first question: Due to the cost of electronics required, and there is a injection molded part, it isn't worth doing less than 5,000 units. That about covers the 1 Million. Also it becomes a full time business as that time, and I need to eat.

As far as marketing, Facebook is having an issue connecting. We sent a press release to 150 tech blogs, waiting to get some exposure. The issues with hurricane Sandy have also slowed things down.

The USB hub is fully backward with USB 2, and will work with any computer.

I have considered the pros and cons of Kickstarter, and I don't think Kickstarter is acting in good faith.

They refuse to sort "all nn projects" as a list with nn members.

Oh, there are links claiming "View all nn Technology projects", but try as you might, you will not get a list of nn Technology projects.
They (seem) to insist on being an ignorant/naive judge/gatekeeper; witness the myriad 3D printer kits, iPhone docking stations, LED WiFi light bulbs, ad nauseum.

When the SEC gets around to writing the rules that will cover "crowd source" "investments" (in the spring?), perhaps Kickstarter will mature into a site where each category will have properly qualified entry judges, and the site visitors will be able to browse a category without inflicting Kickstarter's opinion of what is to be seen, and what is not to be seen.

The current price $200 and 279 is set at what the distributor pricing would be once it hits retail. There is a reasonable profit in them as well.

I agree all projects arn't created equal. I expect it will get better with time.

Seems like a $200 dollar dock is a way too high of price, but hope you prove me wrong. It's really hard to design things that are inexpensive to make.

Thanks for posting and good luck with your project. I wasn't really familiar with Kickstarter, I thought it was just for Brooklyn hipster artsy type projects, but your posting made me take a look at the site and it seems like there is some real stuff being funded.

Seems like a $200 dollar dock is a way too high of price, but hope you prove me wrong. It's really hard to design things that are inexpensive to make.

Wait til it's advertized on tv at ONLY $19.95 plus a small shipping and handling charge but wait....
We'll send you TWO for $19.95 just pay processing....

Wait til it's advertized on tv at ONLY $19.95 plus a small shipping and handling charge but wait....
We'll send you TWO for $19.95 just pay processing....

If it was a PC product, I'd agree with you, but for Apple stuff it seems like the Apple fans are willing to pay more. You very rarely see Apple or Apple compatible products selling on price. That said, $279 seems too high unless it has some sort of designer imprint, but at $50 - $75 they would probably sell all day long.

Back