What's new
What's new

Foxcon building manufacturing facility in Racine county.

Spud

Diamond
Foxconn confirms factory site in Racine County

My sis has a business in Racine and I store many of my equipment there.

Foxconn is the world's largest contract electronic manufacturer and largest private employer in China.

I wonder what made them choose Wisconsin?? If they wanted a centralized location, I would assume Kansas, Illinois or Missouri would work better?

Foxconn is the world's largest contract electronic manufacturer and largest private employer in China.

I wonder what made them choose Wisconsin?? If they wanted a centralized location, I would assume Kansas, Illinois or Missouri would work better?

$764M incentives package from Racine County
Up to $3B in incentives from the state of Wisconsin

There is much more to being centrally located than just a geographic location.

The availability of labor, transportation, land, power grid, vendors, end users, and governmental friendliness all enter into the equation.

Illinois lost probably on the unfriendliness of the state government alone. All our leaders do is figure out new ways to tax us and make business more difficult. The state is broke, so increased taxes are to be expected. More businesses and people are leaving the state than coming to Illinois. 50,000 more people left the state in 2016 than were born or moved to the state. That is a small medium sized city.

Kansas City and St. Louis also probably were ruled out for similar reasons as Chicago. Doesn't take a genius to see where these population centers are headed.

FoxConn by deciding on Racine County still gets all of the logistical benefits of Illinois without most of the baggage.

The incentives are usually tax discount benefits and infrastructure improvements so it is usually not like a gift of money.

Racine county is spitting distance to the cross roads of the Midwest in and around Chicago. Wisconsin is a great choice. They have have a great state university system pumping out engineers (or which I am an example) and other skilled folks. Their government is workable, and they were willing to play ball to get the factory. Also, I believe Wisconsin is #2 in percent of population involved in manufacturing. #1 is Indiana, #3 is Michigan.

I'd love for them to come to Illinois, but they would be stupid to do so. Our government is completely dysfunctional to put it mildly. Why would anyone want to put up with our corruption, union BS, high taxes, and general stupidity? I don't, and I've lived here most of my life.

I hope it works out for them. I read that the state of Wisconsin will be paying 17% of the salary of every employee for the first 5 years.

Have to agree with Ziggy2 and Ewlsey. There is no great mystery, here. No rocket science. Frankly, it's a "no-brainer" when weighed against the alternatives.

The bigger mystery is where they are going to find the people. Every single acquaintance of mine that is a shop owner is having trouble finding qualified employees to pay. Temp agencies are paying premiums and incentives for qualified people. And now, Foxconn will want 3,000 more...? Yes, they can train up and train to work, but there is still a lack of people. They're certainly not going to hit the ground running. It's going to get interesting.

Scott Walker did a bunch of work to change around
the state.

That's all we hear in the news, anyone have any
negative news of Scott Walker ?

$764M incentives package from Racine County
Up to $3B in incentives from the state of Wisconsin

no doubt. i hate the crap, its just wrong. Rather than pull money from your pocket and gift it to a favorite, make the place more conducive to all business, less tax, red tape etc.

Lots of people do. That's politics. Can't make everyone happy.

The major item is that Wisconsin has a path to future with a sustainable state budget unlikely Illinois which has no discernible way to prevent bankruptcy unless they raise taxes even higher and chase away even more business.

It is interesting that the voices in Wisconsin that are screaming that their ox got gored are the same groups in Illinois that the state government has continually appeased. See where that leads?

no doubt. i hate the crap, its just wrong. Rather than pull money from your pocket and gift it to a favorite, make the place more conducive to all business, less tax, red tape etc.
Same here.

You mean like lowering taxes for all the companies that have been here already (and paying taxes) for say 25-50 years ?

Radical concept eh ?

I suspect that there won't be as many jobs as advertised. Our jobless recover is a lot about automation.
Too bad Walker seems to want to destroy the DNR to bring in jobs.
Ask people in Kewaunee county about there drinking water. Now the DNR is being restricted on how they can control animal waste from the huge dairy farms there.

When I was in Sunnyvale Ca. the water had a lot of toxic chemicals from the semiconductor industry. Hope this doesn't happen in Racine.

Dave

The major item is that Wisconsin has a path to future with a sustainable state budget unlikely Illinois which has no discernible way to prevent bankruptcy unless they raise taxes even higher and chase away even more business.

It is interesting that the voices in Wisconsin that are screaming that their ox got gored are the same groups in Illinois that the state government has continually appeased. See where that leads?

I'm not disagreeing with you. Simply answering Doug's question honestly. The bottom line is that many people will be extremely upset about all of this. And many people will be thrilled beyond belief. The truth of the matter will lie somewhere in the middle...

Take for example the people that will be getting a reported $50K per acre for the land. A lot of people will be overnight millionaires. And most of them will be thrilled beyond belief. And you also have people like the couple that retired and built their nice, little dream home on less than acre. I can completely empathize with their feeling screwed at the prospect of being told they have to sell for what amounts to BS. "Truth" has very little to do with that.

That's all I'm saying. Overall, I think this has the ability to be an absolutely wonderful thing for Wisconsin. It could even be a wonderful boon to small shops like our own... They are going to need a lot of support. Or, it could be an absolute bain to local small shops for all the resources sucked up and increased in price. Of course, like most things in life, it will depend completely on how many parts of it are handled. Time will tell. And the hand wringing and shouting from the rooftops of strangers will have little to nothing to do with it.

I'm not disagreeing with you. Simply answering Doug's question honestly. The bottom line is that many people will be extremely upset about all of this. And many people will be thrilled beyond belief. The truth of the matter will lie somewhere in the middle...

Take for example the people that will be getting a reported $50K per acre for the land. A lot of people will be overnight millionaires. And most of them will be thrilled beyond belief. And you also have people like the couple that retired and built their nice, little dream home on less than acre. I can completely empathize with their feeling screwed at the prospect of being told they have to sell for what amounts to BS. "Truth" has very little to do with that.

That's all I'm saying. Overall, I think this has the ability to be an absolutely wonderful thing for Wisconsin. It could even be a wonderful boon to small shops like our own... They are going to need a lot of support. Or, it could be an absolute bain to local small shops for all the resources sucked up and increased in price. Of course, like most things in life, it will depend completely on how many parts of it are handled. Time will tell. And the hand wringing and shouting from the rooftops of strangers will have little to nothing to do with it.

My remarks were mainly meant about Walker and dealing with the state budget issues early on in his term.

I agree completely that a big thing like FoxConn coming is a two edged sword. I'm not a big fan of eminent domain being used to acquire land for projects like this. Far too often, little people get stepped on for the profit of the select few.

I suspect that the construction industry will see the most benefits but that will be short lived. It will be interesting to see the rest this plays out.

Racine county is spitting distance to the cross roads of the Midwest in and around Chicago. Wisconsin is a great choice. They have have a great state university system pumping out engineers (or which I am an example) and other skilled folks. Their government is workable, and they were willing to play ball to get the factory. Also, I believe Wisconsin is #2 in percent of population involved in manufacturing. #1 is Indiana, #3 is Michigan.

I'd love for them to come to Illinois, but they would be stupid to do so. Our government is completely dysfunctional to put it mildly. Why would anyone want to put up with our corruption, union BS, high taxes, and general stupidity? I don't, and I've lived here most of my life.

I hope it works out for them. I read that the state of Wisconsin will be paying 17% of the salary of every employee for the first 5 years.

The vocational colleges here are really good, but my only comparison is Oregon.

The vocational colleges here are really good, but my only comparison is Oregon.

... How do I put this... ... ?

I'm not so convinced. I've dealt with what they are putting out, as apprentices and machinists. I was largely and flatly unimpressed. Mind you, not in the people. Simply just with what skills they were sent out into the world with. Or, more to the point - a very decided lack of critical ones. This was repeatedly exemplified by more than 5 different people. People can make all manner of excuses for all the reasons why, but the simple fact of the matter is that they are largely doing a disservice to the people in their charge. Sad, really.

Unfortunately most educators, even for skilled trades, that work in schools have no basis in real manufacturing. They see a 100 year old Pratt and Whitney 1/2 b deep hole drill Machine as scrap iron, would not know how a gear job works with a full tech manual, nor that you can’t tape a cell phone photo to the cnc control and it makes the part. They have all seen west coast choppers though, their basis of reference is skewed by incomplete television, produced by the same no. Technically inclined folks.

eta: I am not downing trade schools/ junior colleges/ tech schools etc. IMHO they can do a great job on " first year apprenticeship " stuff. Safety, general cutting rules, some technique, etc. With the right instructors possibly even 2 years.... but the field is worse than medicine..... the specialty has to be trained on the job.

full disclosure- I got started in a local junior college with an instructor who did work the trade......and he always said when you get a real job don't expect to know jack shit..... the class was enough to keep you alive for the first year on the job- and his dropout rate was about 60%- shop math killed em off.

Last edited:

Back