What's new
What's new

Germany: manhole refurbishment

Spud

Diamond
Also notice the lack of supervisor(s) standing around chatting with coffees and cigarettes. These guys actually work.

Also notice the lack of supervisor(s) standing around chatting with coffees and cigarettes. These guys actually work.

This stretch of motorway in the south of Denmark was contracted out to a German company. Taken in use 2+ years ago.

All were amazed by the fact that it cost less than budgeted and finished ahead of schedule :)

Part of the deal was that the Germany company were responsible for maintenance the next 20 years. As my brother lives In Sønderborg I've driven it often. Great road.

Sonderborgmotorvejen - M51 - YouTube

If it had been done by a Danish company it would have cost 30% more than the budget and not finished on time.

Damn those Germans :D

The video is a promo for ACO Co. makers of manhole cover systems. Those are not actual street repair workers.
One thing is correct: The company building/repairing a street or the Autobahn must maintain it for the next 20 years.
That is why the Autobahn for instance is double the thickness required for US Interstates.

If it had been done by a Danish company it would have cost 30% more than the budget and not finished on time.

Damn those Germans :D

These days, most of our minor roads are repaired by contractors, be they danish or german. The result is that the pavement goes precisely to the nominal width of the road, and not a centimeter more. In the old days when the local repair team finished work, the pavement would cover a bit more so that you would not risk a puncture when sverwing your car to avoid collision. I have torn up a few tyres that way.Riding a bike can be a challenge too.
It may be cheaper and faster now but I much prefer the old way (and the old ways!).
Regards, fusker

Back