What's new
What's new

Gerstners from China

I guess the economic pressures of consumer decisions will determine what happens.

I understand that even the US made chests have been redesigned with collectors of small objects in mind. I don't think they believe Gerstner expects many of their chests to wind up in a machine shop.

Mike

Last years WESTEC I was talking to the Gerstner folks and they informed me that only 10% of the "toolboxes" were used for tools or for machinists for that matter.

My understanding is the classic toolboxes we all lust for in quartersawn oak, walnut and cherry will continue to be offered as USA manufactured products right from Dayton, OH.

The Gerstner-International (China) toolboxes are of course an attempt to capture the a segment of the cheap wood toolbox market that you see in HF, Northern, etc.

Gerstner still remains family owned by the descendents of Harry Gerstner, and they seem to be doing all the right things, IMHO, to innovate into new markets and to keep their business alive and sell their product to paying customers, be they machinists, sewing bees, fly-tyers or gun collectors.

The alternative, sit back on their same product line, tap their "brand equity" say screw you we're USA-manufactured only and do what they've always done doesn't seem to be getting it in many industries these days.

So, do I get a big Gerstner to hold my collection of cheap little Chinese toolboxes, or a cheap big Chinese toolbox to hold my collection of Gerstners?

I love my 062 in Oak.

I wanted to make my own. I thought at one time you could get the plans with all the metal parts. But last I checked on Gerstner's web site, you could get a kit of all the unfinished wooden parts and metal parts for about half price of a completed box.

art deco,
I have never seen a Gerstner kit that you can build/finish yourself.
I searched the Gerstner site, but no sign of this.
Any more info?

About 25 years ago I saw a pretty nice Gerstner copy in one of the big-box stores like Costco, billed as "Made in Taiwan of American oak." It was less than fifty bucks and my wife bought one. I thought then that it was just a matter of time. I went on the Penn Tool site and I see Gerstner is phasing out the handbook drawer...

and another zombie thread resurrected, originally from 2006. OTOH it did remind me of Matt Isserstedt who hasn't
posted in some time. Wondered what happened to him?

About 25 years ago I saw a pretty nice Gerstner copy in one of the big-box stores like Costco, billed as "Made in Taiwan of American oak." It was less than fifty bucks and my wife bought one. I thought then that it was just a matter of time. I went on the Penn Tool site and I see Gerstner is phasing out the handbook drawer...

Even though I have the CD version of Machinery's Handbook, I still keep a hard copy in the drawer of both my boxes. Maybe it's nostalgia, but I still use the paper versions when I just need a simple look-up number.

Back