What's new
What's new

Good planning or martial law? Obama ratchets up his power

It sounds like a plan, in fact I would have thought all this was already in place for time of war. What's bothered me for a long time is that we seem to be in a permanent state of war, to one extent or another. Exceptional laws for exceptional circumstances make sense, but if exceptional circumstances become the norm, all freedoms are lost.

The domestic industrial and technological base is the foundation for national defense preparedness.

True. So why prevent R&D with nonsensical regulations such as the NFA, GCA, and Hughes? We're still bolting Browning M2s to the top of Hummers. 2 reasons for that, 1, it was a fantastic design, and 2, John Browning was free to develop it.

There is nothing in the executive decision that says that the manufacturing has to be in the US - only that we need to have it available. It could all be outsourced and much of it probably will be.

There is nothing in the executive decision that says that the manufacturing has to be in the US - only that we need to have it available. It could all be outsourced and much of it probably will be.

Hoy crap, I hope you're wrong about that.

It seems more likely a way to "be american". By citing the need for military preparedness for both industry and technology, what could Chinese, Japanese, German company or whoever say when someone tries to buy a American company. They can slant favours to american manufacturing citing this, it will take years to go through WTO until they can come up with another excuse. If you want to see american favouritism in action, just look at the soft wood lumber issue that has been around for the last 40-50 years, Canada can have a hundred court wins but american will always come up with another excuse for favouritism if it works for them.

This appears to be an effective end-run around the globalizers.

The international trade treaties mandating open market access make an exception for procurements essential to national defense.

This order seems to make everything fall in that category. That's a good thing. :D

- Leigh

It sounds like a plan, in fact I would have thought all this was already in place for time of war. What's bothered me for a long time is that we seem to be in a permanent state of war, to one extent or another. Exceptional laws for exceptional circumstances make sense, but if exceptional circumstances become the norm, all freedoms are lost.

The law in one form or another has been around through several administrations but this is the first time the people who feel up your kids at the airport have been given ownership of it. The right wing nutters are all in a dither as you might imagine and the left wing nutters are ho-hum as you might imagine - that leaves the skeptical middle to wonder not what it means but what it can mean, and the difference is where the wedge will be found. This is not the kind of law I'd like someone like Rick Santorum or Joe Biden to own. The theme that has caught on in the world of online buzz is the "martial law" meme started by a Canadian blogger. I tend to agree with the Real Leigh that it is more to do with dancing with international agreements, but why? Bargaining chip for future negotiations, perhaps? Given the recent globalization decision from Leon Panetta about skipping congressional permission in favor of international permission to wage war is at odds with this one. Are these two related in some freakish Obama-world way?

I love your taste in Music!

Been a fan since I saw Jackson Browne at the Troubadour in LA, ('75 maybe?) Brought Zevon up on stage & did a few songs together, which showed up on "Warren Zevon" couple of years later.

Damn shame he went before his time!

Who's #1 ?

Personally I like Guy Clark!

Just a routine re-issue of delegations of authority under a law that's been around more than 60 years. And that law just replaced earlier laws that have been around since Georga Washington.

These orders get updated for all sorts of reasons-- a typical one being when they rename a Department or bureau somewhere. Here's a small handful of the orders that preceded it.

Sec. 606. All orders, regulations, rulings, certificates, directives and other actions relating to any function affected by this order shall remain in effect except as they are inconsistent herewith or are hereafter amended or revoked under proper authority, and nothing in this order shall affect the validity or force of anything heretofore done under previous delegations or other assignment of authority under the Defense Production Act of 1950 as amended.
Sec. 607. The following are superseded or revoked:
(1) Executive Order No. 10161 of September 9, 1950 (15 FR 6105).
(2) Executive Order No. 10169 of October 11, 1950 (15 FR 6901).
(3) Executive Order No. 10193 of December 16, 1950 (15 FR 9031).
(4) Executive Order No. 10200 of January 3, 1951 (16 FR 61).
(5) Executive Order No. 10223 of March 10, 1951 (16 FR 2247).
(6) Executive Order No. 10281 of August 28, 1951 (16 FR 8789).
(7) Executive Order No. 10324 of February 6, 1952 (17 FR 1171).
(8) Executive Order No. 10359 of June 9, 1952 (17 FR 5269).
(9) Executive Order No. 10373 of July 14, 1952 (17 FR 6425).
(10 Executive Order No. 10377 of July 25, 1952 (17 FR 6891).
(11 Executive Order No. 10390 of August 30, 1952 (17 FR 7995).
(12 Executive Order No. 10433 of February 4, 1953 (18 FR 761).
(13 Executive Order No. 10467 of June 30, 1953 (18 FR 3777).
Sec. 608. To the extent that any provision of any prior Executive Order (including Executive Order No. 10461 of June 17, 1953 (18 FR 3513)) is inconsistent with the provisions of this order, the latter shall control and such prior provision is amended accordingly. The following designated orders, modified as required to conform them to the provisions of this order, shall remain in effect:
Executive Order No. 10182 of November 21, 1950 (15 FR 8013), as amended by
Executive Order No. 10205 of January 16, 1951 (16 FR 419).
Executive Order No. 10219 of February 28, 1951 (16 FR 1983).
Executive Order No. 10224 of March 15, 1951 (16 FR 2543).

You can find them here:
Executive Orders

Just bureaucratic housekeeping.

Just a routine re-issue of delegations of authority under a law that's been around more than 60 years. And that law just replaced earlier laws that have been around since Georga Washington.

These orders get updated for all sorts of reasons-- a typical one being when they rename a Department or bureau somewhere. Here's a small handful of the orders that preceded it.

Sec. 606. All orders, regulations, rulings, certificates, directives and other actions relating to any function affected by this order shall remain in effect except as they are inconsistent herewith or are hereafter amended or revoked under proper authority, and nothing in this order shall affect the validity or force of anything heretofore done under previous delegations or other assignment of authority under the Defense Production Act of 1950 as amended.
Sec. 607. The following are superseded or revoked:
(1) Executive Order No. 10161 of September 9, 1950 (15 FR 6105).
(2) Executive Order No. 10169 of October 11, 1950 (15 FR 6901).
(3) Executive Order No. 10193 of December 16, 1950 (15 FR 9031).
(4) Executive Order No. 10200 of January 3, 1951 (16 FR 61).
(5) Executive Order No. 10223 of March 10, 1951 (16 FR 2247).
(6) Executive Order No. 10281 of August 28, 1951 (16 FR 8789).
(7) Executive Order No. 10324 of February 6, 1952 (17 FR 1171).
(8) Executive Order No. 10359 of June 9, 1952 (17 FR 5269).
(9) Executive Order No. 10373 of July 14, 1952 (17 FR 6425).
(10 Executive Order No. 10377 of July 25, 1952 (17 FR 6891).
(11 Executive Order No. 10390 of August 30, 1952 (17 FR 7995).
(12 Executive Order No. 10433 of February 4, 1953 (18 FR 761).
(13 Executive Order No. 10467 of June 30, 1953 (18 FR 3777).
Sec. 608. To the extent that any provision of any prior Executive Order (including Executive Order No. 10461 of June 17, 1953 (18 FR 3513)) is inconsistent with the provisions of this order, the latter shall control and such prior provision is amended accordingly. The following designated orders, modified as required to conform them to the provisions of this order, shall remain in effect:
Executive Order No. 10182 of November 21, 1950 (15 FR 8013), as amended by
Executive Order No. 10205 of January 16, 1951 (16 FR 419).
Executive Order No. 10219 of February 28, 1951 (16 FR 1983).
Executive Order No. 10224 of March 15, 1951 (16 FR 2543).

You can find them here:
Executive Orders

Just bureaucratic housekeeping.

Maybe, but why doesn't this latest one from the White House have an Executive Order Number?

Tom

Maybe, but why doesn't this latest one from the White House have an Executive Order Number?

The president doesn't assign the numbers. After he signs an executive order the Office of the Federal Register assigns it a number and then publishes it as a part of the Federal Register.

I love your taste in Music!

Been a fan since I saw Jackson Browne at the Troubadour in LA, ('75 maybe?) Brought Zevon up on stage & did a few songs together, which showed up on "Warren Zevon" couple of years later.

Damn shame he went before his time!

Who's #1 ?

Personally I like Guy Clark!

Frank Zappa.

See a pattern here? I hope I'm not the bad Joo,Joo.

In the Great War, AKA World War I, Woodrow Wilson mobilized the army around 1916 even though we were not at war with anyone. The army, discovering they had no trucks decided to remedy that problem by walking into car and truck dealerships around the country and stealing all their trucks at gunpoint.

Thats called "compelling acceptance of a contract". In other words the contract is we get a truck, you get rifle barrel up your nose.

In the Great War, AKA World War I, Woodrow Wilson mobilized the army around 1916 even though we were not at war with anyone. The army, discovering they had no trucks decided to remedy that problem by walking into car and truck dealerships around the country and stealing all their trucks at gunpoint.

Thats called "compelling acceptance of a contract". In other words the contract is we get a truck, you get rifle barrel up your nose.

[Citation needed]

This thread is hilarious. We have an OP from a known Obamaphobe, and we have other known Obamphobes who leap to bolster his fears, THEN we have yet ANOTHER who cites History according to a pretty poor humorist. (Barry. I admit I have read a lot of his work, and enjoyed it, but it IS simply Humor, the way he makes his money, no different than "Larry, the Cable Guy".)

Sea Farmer enters and tells them it means nothing, see here: "Well, WHY doesn't IT have a Number like all the rest of them?" ALL Obama's power grab!

You guys are all in a dither, because, I predict, Obama WILL be reelected, and I think a goodly number of Reps will be ousted, come November.

You have gone overboard, and the Country does not like it.

WORST is, it means NOTHING to YOU. Tax Law does not help YOU, you are too goddamned POOR to be affected, for at least 99% of you.

Obama getting us out of this quagmire that is Afghanistan MIGHT make work for you. War Work, even though you don't know if it is.

90 thou US Troops in Afghanistan, ONE MILLION BUCKS PER YEAR PER MAN. 90 BILLION bucks.

We could do a lot with that 90 billion at home. Rebuild bridges that are ready to fall down, etc.

You guys are paranoid, but ONLY because Obama is in the big chair. With Bush and Reagan there, you had no problem with this kind of shit.

What a bunch of morons.

George

Back